Not Too Many People Play Sim Racing Games?

Discussion in 'Sim Racing' started by Denis Hard, May 12, 2016.

1. Denis Hard

Denis Hard Member

Why do you think there aren't too many racing game enthusiasts who play Sim Racing games? Is it because the games are too hard or because you need to spend a lot of money on racing games accessories to enjoy them?

Thoughts?

2. Sworden

Sworden Member

Hmm, I wouldn't say there aren't many people, as both Forza and GT have pretty big fan bases. But yeah there are definitely lesser people than arcade racers, like NFS, or even a bit of GTA.

Simulator racers, while fun, do have a high skill curve at the start, especially if you play without assists on (which is how you should play, imo). But for the most part their advertising is done well, and their touted as 'must haves' for consoles.

For example, Forza Horizon 2, which is like half arcade racer, half simulator, sold pretty well.

Denis Hard likes this.
  3. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I also wouldn't say that not many people play them, as in the past titles like Gram Turismo have proved popular.

Games such as need for speed do seem to have taken over, and the arcade style racing games are in at the moment, but I think if a decent racing simulator came out, it would still get a decent amount of buyers.

4. spectre456

spectre456 Member

A lot of people play sim racing games, if they didn't there wouldn't be a demand for them in the market. As for the people who are deterred from playing them it's probably just because of the technical knowledge needed to excel at sims.

pwarbi likes this.
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I agree, and I do think that those that play racing games, are often playing more for the racing aspect than the gaming element behind them.

Simulator racing games are for those that know how a car handles, accelerates and brakes, rather than just those that want to speed around a race track, and that's the difference between the simulator and the more traditional arcade style games.

6. Arvis

Arvis Member

I'd say that simulator games won't give you complete experience without proper racing wheel. Yes, the physics might be there, but you still don't get the feeling of road bumps, steering feedback, shifting gears, feeling when the clutch takes off. Cheap steering wheels won't help that either, perhaps an expensive one can do some good for proper simulator experience.

pwarbi likes this.
  7. erook7878

erook7878 Active Member

I'd guess it is mostly the difficulty. Especially if you are used to playing arcade style games. Sim racing is going to pretty aggravating to play when you can't turn while going 200 mph.

pwarbi likes this.
  8. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

That's what I originally thought aswell but I didn't pay all that much for the Logitech wheel I gits and when I'd got use to it, it did give a whole new experience. I'd definitely say give one a try anyway and see how you go on.

9. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Your right, and I think if your used to the arcade racing type games, then a simulator is going to be difficult to get used to.

In real life you wouldn't ago as fast as you could going into a corner, brake and turn at the same time, like you can on an arcade racer, and you can't on a simulator but that's the whole point. It's supposed to mimic real life.

10. erook7878

erook7878 Active Member

I definitely understand those that don't like realistic sim racing games. It's way more easy and fun to just not have to brake at all and make turns going 200 mph. That is also the appeal for people that do like sim racing. I personally prefer realistic sim racing games with real driving physics.

pwarbi likes this.
  11. Denis Hard

Denis Hard Member

But there's a higher number of people who play arcade racers, rights? That's why there are numerous arcade racing games. The huge number is an indication that more people like arcade racing games. And as it has been mentioned, accessories for sim racing games is quite pricey so I suppose those who don't want to spend that sort of money would still have as much fun as they want to playing arcade racers using only a controller.

12. spectre456

spectre456 Member

Of course, there's definitely more demand for arcade racers. I think you're underestimating the amount of people that like simulators though. The gear is also not necessary if you want to play sims, they make the experience better, but it's not a necessity.

13. raceman998

raceman998 Member

You just caught out the main point! :D

14. raceman998

raceman998 Member

By the way, FH 2 was an amazing game. I would recommend this game to every racers.

15. Denis Hard

Denis Hard Member

Don't know what impact Virtual Reality will have the genre. Would it get more people to play sim racing games because even if you don't use a wheel it will still feel almost real? I guess we'll have to wait just a little longer to find out.

16. spectre456

spectre456 Member

I was actually talking about the racing gear and not the VR. You bring up an interesting point though. I think if VR lives up to the hype we'll see an influx of people being interested in sims just because of how realistic it would feel.

Denis Hard likes this.
  17. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

The simulator racing games probably do only appeal to a certain section of gamers, and they're made more for those that like the science behind the racing.

With the arcade style games you can drive however you want and it doesn't make that much difference so they do tend to be easier to play.

18. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

I think it's hard to enjoy sim racing games without proper racing gear, you need to invest at least a couple of hundred $ in equipment, which not a lot of people are willing to do. They're only appealing to the minority of the racing game scene.

19. tgthewriter1

tgthewriter1 Member

20. tgthewriter1

tgthewriter1 Member

Well, I still play Gran Turismo. The reason I still play it is because I realize that most video games limit how much you can tune a car. Game developers limit the running in street racing games.