Multi-Theft Auto

Discussion in 'GTA San Andreas' started by Profit5500, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Profit5500

Profit5500 New Member

There is a San Andreas mod called "Multi-Theft Auto" it is a multiplayer mod based on code injection. It seems like you can modify the game without altering the original files. I don't know if anyone has played the mod or not the link is below if you want to check it out.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/multi-theft-auto-san-andreas

2. Brian

Brian New Member

Highly recommended to anyone who hasn't yet played it.

The official site is http://mtasa.com

There are roleplaying servers and combat based servers. Roleplaying is popular. Combat is not very great, but sync has gotten better over time. Still, ping disparities hurt combat.

However, the racing modes are incredible. The built in map editor allows you to jigsaw together polygon soup maps from the existing parts, and it makes for endless fun and endless maps - race after race, you never run out of unique places, and since it's race based, the ping and sync doesn't really matter.

Seriously, it's probably the best multiplayer I've ever played when it comes to pure fun, even in competitive servers, it's all fun all the time:

And cops and crooks is the funnest mode ever. It's where 1 person for every 5 people spawns as a criminal cars, and the rest are cop cars. and you chase the criminals - match ends when time runs out, or the criminals are destroyed, or all cops are destroyed - it's awesome fun for hours on bored nights.

I don't think that NIR server is still around, but there were others.

3. Askani

Askani Member

Wow I didn't know about this one. Thanks for the heads up. That looks insane. I will have to check it out tonight. Is this just for PC?

4. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Member

I've only really played SA:MP. Is the sync better than samp or what?

5. Rabbu

Rabbu New Member

This looks incredibly fun! I think I may have to reinstall SA to check this out :D. I wonder how many people play at a given time. Gotta get some cops and crooks going on!

6. Brian

Brian New Member

Yea, it's come a long way. MTA sync has gotten a lot better, especially in terms of player movement more so than gun hit detection. The hit detection can be wonky - it's because in some servers people have such crazy wild pings, sometimes you shoot someone and they die fast, other times, you barely hurt them. But combat is funner in MTA despite its still not quite being perfect. Vehicle hit detection is very good, I don't know why bullets are different. I suspect it's got to do with some kind of hitscan being used for bullets vs trimesh and primitive collisions for cars - I guess it's just different systems, and one is harder to sync in the roll-your-own multiplayers.

I heard pretty recently that sync got even better, but I just race these days when I play.

The racing, again, I cannot recommend it more. In ghost servers (no collision), it's purely time-trials based and very fun. And in 32+ player servers with collision on it's another ball game and fun because of the collisions, becomes derby races, where you're trying to avoid getting destroyed - or strategically ramming people and hoping to get to a repair wrench pick up before you destroy yourself :p

It's very fun, highly recommended.

If you have SA on steam, you will need another exe to use, but it's named different anyhow. One is gtasa.exe and the other is gta_sa.exe, so 3.0 and 1.0 (1.0 is needed for mods if anyone doesn't know already), coexist nicely together in the main directory. MTA will invoke the 1.0 exe when you run MTA's shortcut, and SA single player will still use the 3.0 when launched from steam. So it's a really easy run the installer and play with MTA. =)