Mario Kart Overrated?

Discussion in 'Mario Kart' started by TheViper, Oct 29, 2014.

1. TheViper

TheViper Member

There are some friends of mine that think that Mario is simply overrated. They consider none of the games really that fun unless around a bunch friends. What do you guys think about Mario?

2. racingdad

racingdad New Member

I enjoy playing Mario games just because they're classic. I do agree with your friends though, It is much more fun with your buddies around you. About it being overrated.. I do think it's had a bit too much hype but its understandable.

3. NathanG

NathanG New Member

I have to agree with them that they are much funner with friends playing with you, but overrated? No. You can have just as much fun playing solo/against people online as you can with real life friends if you really wanted to. Although, it may just come down to everyone's preference.

4. SlickBlasianYouTube

SlickBlasianYouTube Member

I think it's just the reputation. It's not overrated. It's just milked by too much. But 98% of the Mario games that have came out have delivered and I can't wait to get a WII U and play the mess out of some Mario Kart.

5. tjmsrubegoldberg

tjmsrubegoldberg New Member

Mario Kart is one of the few games that I think consistently lives up to the hype surrounding it. It might be frustrating at times, and it's certainly more fun with friends, but overall, the series always delivers with consistent, high-quality, fun, and unique games that tend to last for quite a while. I would say it's always well worth the price, and the feature-rich DLC that is coming seems to reinforce this. I've never really been disappointed by a Mario Kart game as a whole. Even if I do think that some are better than others, I think that even the "worst" Mario Kart games can easily be played for a long time without disappointment.

allarijit likes this.
  6. Rob

Rob New Member

I don't think it is overrated in any way. I've always enjoyed playing the mario kart games from the very early ones. Very original and fun to play with friends and otherwise. Will always be one of my favorites.

7. Squigly

Squigly Active Member

It's definitely the best party racing game out there. While it is unique and very different from most arcade style or serious racers, hence it may not appeal to anyone, I would say that it isn't overrated, if anything it is a very underrated and fun game!

8. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I think any game can seem overrated to someone at some point. None fans tend to miss the subtleties that make a game great in the eyes of fans. I know I'm guilty of this too for some games, especially FPS Games which I really hate. That's just normal, I think.

9. iuseluigi

iuseluigi New Member

Mario Kart gets tons of hype because it's a great game. Remember Nintendo first party games are polished and well throughout. Mario Kart reflects this in every aspect. I only played Mario Kart wii for a few hours but Mario Kart 8 I've put sometime into. Yes, it is better with other people in the room playing with you but most games are. From nieces and nephews to aunts and uncles everyone seems to like it.

10. Gin0710

Gin0710 Member

Yeah it sucks to play alone, but not with friends. I think it's underrated and deserves more cool features.

11. Luke Martin

Luke Martin New Member

I think that Mario Kart isn't a racing game like normal racers are. It's pretty much a party game that uses cars. That's why it really only works with friends.

12. shreklock

shreklock Member

I agree, probably the people who hate Mario Kart haven't tried it playing with friends. Though any game can be good when playing with friends if everyone's having fun.

13. dinomarino1

dinomarino1 Member

In terms of keeping racing games interesting i love mario kart! but i never saw it as the best game ever like some people proclaim it to be. Its not a bad game at all i just dont see what all the hubba's about?

14. JessiFox

JessiFox Member

I don't agree with the thought that Mario Kart is overrated, to me something being truly overrated involves a lot of hype and then a product that fails to deliver on all that hype. It is talked about a lot, has a lot of hype buzzing around it and is obviously a classic, but I don't think that it fails to live up to the hype overall, so I don't think it would be appropriate to say it's overrated.

I do think it's a lot more fun playing it with other people, but I wouldn't necessarily consider that an inherent flaw.

15. moaz13

moaz13 Member

I used to hate that Nintendo really like to slap mario on anything instead of trying to make something original or getting third-party devs to make some good games. Nevertheless the game is still great, mario or not it's an amazing game, especially on wii u in 60fps 1080p.

16. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Member

With a system with very limited games to begin with, Mario kart will be over rated because there's nothing else on the Wii U that is worth owning or playing.

17. jurew2

jurew2 Member

Well maybe it is a little overrated, but not as much as some other games that I've played. But I have to agree with your friends that Mario Kart is the better when you play with someone i.e. friends, family etc.

18. BatDash

BatDash New Member

I don't think he was suggesting Mario Kart is overrated, but Mario himself.

If I'm right, then I wholey agree with you. They milk the franchise for everything it's got, releasing spin off after spin off based on this Italian plumber. I'm not saying that the games aren't good, most of them are great, but Mario is definitely overrated.

19. spectre456

spectre456 Member

I don't feel like Mario Kart is overrated at all. The thing about Nintendo games is that they're all fun for anyone that picks them up. If you introduce a total newcomer to the franchise you just teach him what button does what and he shouldn't have a hard time in a race. The game also excels in having very complex mechanics beneath the simplistic facade.

20. teabwoi

teabwoi Member

To me I like playing the game it is a really fun game to play especially if you have friends over. When you are playing the game it is better to play it with lots of friends instead of playing it by yourself.