Mario Kart 8 is too chaotic?

Discussion in 'Mario Kart' started by Ghost Rider, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider Member

When playing regular racing games like Gran Turismo, I have a relaxed feeling when I'm at a racing. There are to powerups to use and avoid, no obstacles to maneuver through, no branching paths, etc. It's straight up driving from start to finish. But Mario Kart 8 is different. There are powerups everywhere which you can use to your advantage (or be used to your disadvantage). Shortcuts abound as well as different obstacles. Do you think that Mario Kart 8 would be too chaotic for a racing game?

2. chicagobulls6769

chicagobulls6769 New Member

I think Mario kart 8 is very stable. I never have any problems with the controlling. I usually play with my friends since I am at a university. Overall i think it is a very good game, and I also like the other Mario karts

3. mauricioq

mauricioq Member

It's an arcade racing game, it's supposed to be fast and full of action going on. It's a perfect example of an well made arcade game, so being chaotic is a good feature.

4. FosterTXT

FosterTXT Member

I don't think it is chaotic at all. Sure there is a lot going on at any given time, but that's what makes it fun I think. All of the distractions will make it harder to stay focused on the race, which I find fun to be quite honest.

5. Solar

Solar Member

It's not TOO chaotic, though it IS somewhat chaotic. This chaos is what makes arcade racing games so much fun, though. I find it more fun to see the chaos of Mario Kart, Split/Second or Blur (for example) than the more realistic experiences brought by Forza and Gran Turismo.

6. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I do think it's a bit too chaotic for a racing game, but at the same time, I don't really consider it as solely being a racing game anyway. I consider it to be a mix of twisted metal and regular racing, and seeing as I like TM, I can appreciate MK, although, I honestly would prefer to just play TM for that kind of thing, to be honest.

7. rossonomous

rossonomous Member

I don't think it's too chaotic, but it is certainly a bit crazy. That's the point of the game though and there is a big market for it.

8. xilezaturo

xilezaturo Member

There was a Toon racing game that I used to play at my cousin's house for the PS1. I can't remember the name of the game, but it had some pretty crazy stuff going on, too. I think those Wipeout and F-Zero games are even more intense than Mario Kart, so I'm not all that worried about this stuff.

9. Kaseyallan

Kaseyallan New Member

Mario Kart 8 is amazing, I played it at comic-con the guy I faced always opened up his wheels and loved to play underwater.

10. teabwoi

teabwoi Member

Mario Kart to me is supposed to be chaotic I think that is what makes the game so enjoyable in the first place. I think this is what adds to the fun of the game. Sometimes you really get so immersed in the game and you never really know if you are going to make it to the end of a race because there is so much going on. Really though I don't think that the game is too chaotic I think it is just right.

11. Askani

Askani Member

Sounds like you don't know how to play. Mario Kart is designed to be chaotic, that is the fun part. It is supposed to be that way. You get on with your friends, talk smack, and throw turtles at each other. Maybe you should stick with those stable boring games.

12. Balaal

Balaal Member

That's the beauty of Mario Kart. It just wouldn't fit in being a casual, relaxing racer. The characters are over-the-top, therefore the racing must be as well!! I love how frantic it gets, especially blasting an opponent with a shell or the thrill of hitting a big jump after a turbo boost!!

13. kaitheteen

kaitheteen Member

I don't believe any Mario Kart game can be too "chaotic". The more weird and chaotic, the better! When you're having fun with friends, the more chaotic, the more fun you're gonna be having. I just love how crazy it can get sometimes.

14. Jasonreid

Jasonreid Member

Mario Kart 8 introduces new racing circuit designs and antigravity karts that will have players driving upside down. There are a variety of series-favorite features for you to enjoy, such as a 12-player online competitive play, hang-gliders, underwater racing and motorbikes. Overall it will take a little getting use to but you will enjoy the entire game.

15. Amatenshi

Amatenshi New Member

I think the level of chaos in Mario Kart Wii was too much, at least on 150cc. It was an item storm, and that made things too frustrating. After all, it's the first game in the series to have 12 karts on the track instead of 8. It's evident how in Mario Kart 8, they tried to rectify the item chaos, like with how you can no longer pick up another item while holding one out, to compensate for the higher racer count. There's also the changes around the Spiny Shell, those being the decreased pickup frequency, as well as the hammer you can use to break it. That was one of the best things Nintendo could do, because in the previous console entry, Spiny Shells were too frequent, and there was nothing a leader could do about it except for the well-timed mushroom you have a 3% chance of finding while in 1st place.

The amount of "chaos" is now probably just right for the type of game it is. Nintendo found the right balance.

16. RamZor

RamZor Member

I think the game is a bit chaotic but I like it. Its not a regular racing game. You get tons of items and make plays. I think it makes the game funny and thats why a lot of children like the game too. Its not a regular racing game, but its diffrent and I like it a lot the way it is.

17. Larrel94

Larrel94 Member

I do believe they stepped it up a bit from previous games like MK Wii. Though they have balanced it a bit with additions like the horn which can destroy incoming blue shells. There's just something about green shells in this game, though... They seem to connect with you and screw you over much more often then in previous titles.

18. edthebig

edthebig Member

Exactly, if you want a relaxing racing experience then you should head for sims, playing games like mario kart is about having reckless fun doing silly, chaotic stuff.

19. spectre456

spectre456 Member

You shouldn't compare Mario Kart to Gran Turismo, They're both trying to do vastly different things. While Gran Turismo is a simulator, Mario Kart is an arcade game designed for fun and chaotic matches. I think the chaos is what makes Mario Kart as fun as it is.

20. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Member

It's chaotic but that's because it's supposed to be.