Mario Kart 8 is for kids only?

Discussion in 'Mario Kart' started by Ghost Rider, Mar 21, 2014.

1. ray king

ray king Member

Wow, I was just reading this post and then just checked out the gameplay of mario kart 8 on youtube and guess what? I love the gameplay, If its only for kids, then I am a kid (ahem, older, ahem, much older). Got a 9 year old nephew who would love to play the game with me.

[​IMG]

2. Amatenshi

Amatenshi New Member

I think a kid would ragequit trying to 3-star all the cups on 150cc or racing online and coming out without a single win. I also tried to teach my little cousins how to flame hop after a mini-turbo, and they couldn't do it. Nintendo games, for the most part, are for all ages, but have a low entry point for beginners and young kids, while being able to satisfy experienced gamers and multiplayer enthusiasts. This is something that seems more and more apparent with the Pokemon games, but Mario Kart is another example of this that really stands out.

Nintendo does a really good job creating experiences for players of all ages and skill levels, which is why I'm such a big fan of theirs.

3. CeliVega

CeliVega Member

Nahhhh, it's fun for the whole family! Something for the kids, grandma, everyone!
    Cookies for whoever who got my reference ;)
    In my opinion the mario games are all great party games, a game that can be enjoyed by everyone. Especially Mario Kart 8, where it's easy for beginners to get into, but still got a deep learning curve for the competitive players as well. It appeals to everyone and definitely not just kids.
    Well in a sense we are all kids at heart but eh, enough about that XD

4. Obskyra

Obskyra New Member

Nah I mean times have changed. I'm wanting to play this game with my kids. But it's not just for kids. My wife and I have a lot of fun playing it.

5. KKrage

KKrage Member

Well, mainly it's for kids, but not fully, I'm 24 and I still play it with my little brother.
    We usually race on it, he loves the colours and characters, but I usually beat him from pure skill.
    Maybe he could one day beat me!

6. wowtgp

wowtgp Member

Well, you can say that. But then again, I am not a kid and I seem to like the game to some extent. It depends on preference, I guess. Most of the Nintendo fans have grown up playing the MARIO and Samsh Bros games.

7. Rockhem

Rockhem Member

Mario Kart 8 isn't really only for kids. Just because a game isn't really the gray, dull color of most shooters and games made for adult gamers today, doesn't make it automatically a children's game. I think that the game is just a age-neutral game, anyone can play it, there is no minimum or maximum age someone should play the game.

8. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

You're right. I think Mario is for everyone, even those who have just grown up with it and are older now. Mario can still appeal to the kid inside us.

9. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

I don't think it's solely a kids' game. I think that, like the other Mario games, it could appeal to adult gamers. Maybe, it might appeal to those of a more whimsical mindset.

10. RamZor

RamZor Member

I honestly don't think this game is only for kids. The graphics are a bit childish but I think the fits well for adults too and as an adult I enjoy playing this game a lot even though its really silly.

11. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

Well, isn't that the feeling one gets when they're playing a Mario game? You play as a plumber who goes to the "Mushroom Kingdom" to save the princess. Your main transportation are pipes and karts. When you look at it like that, it does seem a bit ridiculous, right? It's still creative, ad whimsical, though. Adults will still like the game. I'm sure.

12. edthebig

edthebig Member

Not at all. It is true that it is more like a family oriented game but I know a lot of "grown ups" that love playing Mario Kart and bought a Wii U just for it.

13. spectre456

spectre456 Member

No, Mario Kart 8 is another bitter reminder that in the midst of playful competition hatred is born when a sure win is taken away by an inopportune item thrown by your best friend. I think it should be rated mature because of the incredible self control needed to hold yourself back from losing a friendship over it.
    In all seriousness though, as long as it's fun, and Mario Kart 8 is still as fun as all its predecessors, it shouldn't be labeled as a kid's game and just be played by anyone who wants to have a great time.

14. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

I agree. It's a game for everyone. Sure there will be some arguments and maybe some heartbreak over a lost race, but I think we'll all remember that it's in good fun. Hopefully there won't be any rage induced controller breaking.