Livestreaming/Netflix/Hulu

Discussion in 'Film and Television' started by Gin0710, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Gin0710

Gin0710 Member

Do you think that live streaming will be the end of cable and DVDs? I no longer buy DVDs anymore because most of the movies I want to watch are on Netflix. And with HBO breaking away from cable packages, do you think this will be the beginning of the end of cable tv altogether? Honestly, if channels began selling themselves individually to viewers rather than include themselves in a cable package I would much prefer that. It's ridiculous to pay for channels I don't watch and then get screwed out of the channels I want to watch because it costs extra money I can't afford because I'm paying for channels I don't want!

What are your thoughts on the new wave of television?

2. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I think it is inevitable but it might take longer than we expect. Physical media is still preferable to a lot of people and so is cable tv. Although I think the newer generation won't care as much since they don't have attachments to the old ways so maybe by the time they start to run things it will be more acceptable.

3. mssfgaming

mssfgaming Member

Cable TV has been here for a long time, so I don't think it will be the end of it. Obviously, I can't deny the fact that Netflix is huge and is still growing as a company and as another option for a way to get access to easy, cheap movies and a whole range of them for sure. However, when people tell me that it will cancel out cable in its whole, it will be a long time before that happens. Livestreaming is still something that companies need to take full advantage of it before it gets compared to cable TV at all. Overall, yeah, sometimes people prefer physical to digital and it will be a long time before the digital aspect of media reigns all.

4. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Same here. I think unless they can make internet tv as convenient as cable tv wherein you really only have to press channel up or down instead of actively choosing which one to watch then it might not be completely replaced anytime soon.

5. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

I think cable TV is gonna be replaced slowly by the internet livestreaming solutions. I already cut the cord and I only watch Netflix, but they need to do something for news and stuff as well.

6. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I think it will take a while but I agree after a decade or two all tv networks will probably start migrating towards online streaming.