Keyboard vs Controller?

Discussion in 'Sim Racing' started by FuZyOn, Jul 28, 2015.

1. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

What do you prefer more when it comes down to a racing game? A keyboard or a controller?
    I personally prefer playing with a controller. It's more accurate than a keyboard.

2. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I prefer using a controller just because I'm more used to it for racing games. I only like using keyboard and mouse for FPS games since for those games controllers are a bit inaccurate for my taste.

3. elmarianexx

elmarianexx Member

Definitely controller for racing games, it's just way more simple to use controller than keyboard and a mouse. I got used to it more.

4. niiro17

niiro17 Member

Controller, of course. It's difficult to control if you use the Keyboard and mouse on a Racing game. Controller is the best if it's a racing game.

5. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Member

Why is this even being discussed? Keyboards suck unless you were playing an Amiga racing game back in the 1980s. Now the question should be asked do you prefer a controller or a driving wheel? That would be a more interesting subject to talk about.

troutski likes this.
  6. troutski

troutski Active Member

How would a keyboard even make sense? Racing WASD on anything other than Flash games makes no sense.

7. BluBird

BluBird Member

I personally prefer a controller, despite it being less accurate because it's a bit more comfortable on my hands. But I would only play that way if the game had built-in support for it on something like a FPS.

8. rajesh1209

rajesh1209 Member

Like most the people, I also prefer controller because the controller has many advanced features that the keyboard lacks. I have been using the controller for the advanced arcade racing games and my hands are habituated to it and that is why I think that controllers are better options than keyboards.

9. Potausen

Potausen Member

The steering wheel beats them both. It's impossible to play a good rally game without having the control provided by one. But if I had to choose between a controller and a keyboard, I'd obviously pick the controller.

10. Susime

Susime Active Member

A controller is much much easier to play racing games with. I've tried a keyboard multiple times and with stuff like semi-sim racing games like rFactor, it make controlling the cars very difficult.

It was like a godsend when I got my controller for the PC.

11. Chocoo

Chocoo New Member

A racing game is the one game where a controller is better. Keyboards are too large to only have about seven buttons that actually do anything useful, and I prefer joysticks much more than WASD/arrow keys. It's much easier to turn exactly the way you want, instead of just an 8-direction selection. Plus, a controller allows you to take a step back, which is great in a racing game so you can get a visual on everything that's going on.

12. belovedad

belovedad Member

I prefer a controller but I'm good at both.Before I got a controller or my pc, I had to use keyboard anyway and I kind of liked it.

13. Locoton22

Locoton22 Member

I prefer my keyboard, I'm used to it I have always used my keyboard for all kinds of gaming, obviously while I'm on my laptop of course or Desktop PC. I've definitely tried the controller but it just doesn't feel appealing to me and I end up with my keyboard and PC games.

14. erook7878

erook7878 Active Member

I've always preferred consoles because of the controller. I've just never been comfortable with using the keyboard to play games. Controllers feel so much better.

15. erook7878

erook7878 Active Member

The steering wheel is great as well. I've always found the steering wheel for arcade type games. The steering wheel is tough for games like GT with real driving physics.

16. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

It's not that much of a stretch really. Back when PC controllers weren't as cheap or popular my friend used to play racing games using the direction keys and he did just fine on it. I also got to try it out and I did well on it too but it's just not as comfortable for me as a controller since I'm much more used to it.

17. spence88

spence88 Member

I'm quite good at both. But on some games like Mario Kart, where you have to press 3-4 (even 5 sometimes) buttons at the same time, a controller is a must. It's very difficult to pull that of with a keyboard. Well, at least in my case. But I've never seen anybody do it before.

Yeah, you don't need a controller to play most racing games before. There are no other fancy stuff or mechanics before. Just accelerate and move your car to avoid hitting walls. So yeah the arrow keys or WASD are normally enough to play and even win games. But even today, keyboards can still do the job. (Yeah again, in my case, can't speak for everybody else) :)

18. Squigly

Squigly Active Member

I'd much prefer a controller for racing games, it feels much more natural and exciting than just pressing keys on a keyboard. Bonus points for getting an actual racing wheel.

19. puneeth8994

puneeth8994 Member

Controller any day. A keyboard only if I don't have any other options and at this point, it's like I'm completely used to the controller and it makes more sense to use it than a keyboard. I just use keyboard for action games now and then.

20. hafiz93

hafiz93 Member

I prefer keyboard for any game, and that includes racing games as well. The thing is I'm totally incompetent when handling a controller. I tried but I just can't adapt to it. So for me it's keyboard any day.