Keyboard or controller?

Discussion in 'GTA San Andreas' started by CelTek, Nov 4, 2013.

1. CelTek

CelTek Member

Because I can't get GTA5 on PC, I decided to play through San Andreas again. I have never gotten past the flight school missions, but am determined to this time round!

Is it even possible to complete them using a keyboard?! Maybe my key config is just whack or something? I've got an x-box controller I haven't gotten round to plugging in yet, and am considering trying with that. I will complete this damn game some time.

So it got me to wondering, what is your preferred method of control?

2. ENO1986

ENO1986 New Member

For the longest I have always used a Xbox controller now I am getting used to using a keyboard at 1st it felt really awkward now it's not so bad.

3. CelTek

CelTek Member

See, I'm the reverse. I grew up on PC (I am roughly 30) so it's pretty much all I know. I'm still not into the idea of FPS on controller, but for 5 I might make that sacrifice. I just love the precision I can get with mouse and keyboard - in GTA SA I hit my target nearly every single time with m&k. I don't think I'd do so well with a controller. And screw auto-target, I kinda regard that as a cheat.

4. xlzqwerty1

xlzqwerty1 Member

Keyboard and mouse is fine. I grew up using PC and felt the controller was always something weird that will never fit into games. I can NEVER play any games that involve shooting on a controller as good as I can using a keyboard and mouse on PC. Plus the number of keys on PC allow me to bind many keys and shortcuts ingame, especially mod keys and shortcuts.

5. CelTek

CelTek Member

Exactly that. I have a Logitech G500 which has a lot of customisability and I feel a bit like a caveman when I have to use one of those damned ball based contraptions.

6. ENO1986

ENO1986 New Member

LOL I still have one of those it's not so bad, but I also use an Xbox controller a lot since I play a lot of racing games too.

7. Rocketman

Rocketman Member

I think for the flying missions, you just need to change your keyboard layout for flying vehicles. It's a real pain to fly and I'm not sure if that was done intentionally. Overall I'd still use a keyboard just because it's easy to type in the cheats and gives me more precision but I can see a controller working too. Just don't play the flying missions with the default settings. Oh god.

8. Chaos

Chaos Member

Definitely a keyboard and mouse is the best option. I use a controller only when I'm playing FIFA online and the only reason is that the extra buttons on the side that help me with the special skills and ball control. In any other games nothing beats a mouse.

9. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitect Member

Depends on the game really. Controllers are good for most but nothing touches a keyboard and a mouse for FPS games. For GTA I've personally preferred a mouse and keyboard.

10. Pickicool

Pickicool New Member

It really depends on the habits .... For example, I prefer the handles because I always played on consoles. PC gamers who have already made their migration are preferred keyboard.

Then when you think about it, the FPS games are easier to play on the keyboard than controller.
    It should not divide players squabbling over for small difference like that.

The keyboard is more accurate, but the handle is much more comfortable to handle.
    GTA is played with the levers, it is more than obvious. But PC gamers will probably prefer the keyboard ...

11. Josh

Josh New Member

Mouse and keyboard always for FPS games, controller for more laid back Third Person games like this. GTA just feels weird with a mouse and keyboard. Everything is so spread out.

12. harshal360

harshal360 New Member

Well I enjoy Mouse and Keyboard as it makes it easier to move and aim. I am more precise with it when it comes to shooting and it positively affects my driving aswell. I used to play with a controller and tried it with my PC as well at first but, it wasn't very compatible. I am glad it wasn't as I enjoyed the keyboard and mouse a lot more.

13. Soroboru

Soroboru New Member

I agree with you, although I always rather use a controller for any gaming purposes. I even modified an xbox controller to make it usb compatible and be able to play San Andreas on PC like I did on xbox. And dude, I have one of those ROBBIE robots like the one on your avatar, that's very cool! I thought mine was the only one.

14. sidney

sidney Member

I have never owned a console, so naturally I would prefer playing using a keyboard. I think if ever I would play GTA using a console, I would be a bit uncomfortable maneuvering the character.

15. ENO1986

ENO1986 New Member

I remember using a 360 controller it worked for the most part, but I remember doing the mini games and the controller couldn't keep up which was a problem so I just had to use the keyboard for that section, as far is which one is better overall you can't say it depends on the game really some work better with a gamepad some don't.

16. daimashin

daimashin New Member

I'm sure the keyboard and mouse work best when playing it on the PC. What's better precision than using a mouse and the number of keys that are available with the keyboard. I know some other games will probably work better with a controller but San Andreas works great with a keyboard too.

17. NEO117

NEO117 New Member

Controller for me. M+K just doesn't feel right for a third person game.

18. heyhowareyou

heyhowareyou New Member

Always controller, even on PC. I can't imagine playing this game with a keyboard and mouse, to be honest. Seems too awkward.

19. TheViper

TheViper Member

I'm use to playing with the keyboard. When I use a controller it takes me a couple of days to just get use to it. I would react slower and always push the wrong buttons.

20. Joseph

Joseph New Member

My preferred way of playing games is through a controller. However, when it comes to GTA San Andreas, I feel you need to have a keyboard because you need a higher level of control in order to navigate things smoothly.
    The flight academy mission, however, is an exception to this case in my opinion. I found it much easier to complete it with a controller than the keyboard. I tend to twitch a lot when using a keyboard whenever I try to fly or even drive.