Is music important in a racing game?

Discussion in 'Sim Racing' started by Ghost Rider, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Berberita Ion

Berberita Ion New Member

Yes, music is very important. It creates the atmosphere and that feeling you require from a game. Most of the times it's energic and properly integrated for the specific driving road. I cannot imagine myself playing a racing game without music.

2. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I agree. I actually have been playing one of my racing games without music recently because I was getting tired of having the same songs, and it was a very different experience. I did still have fun, but it just didn't feel as full as when there was music to drive along to.

3. Shylax

Shylax New Member

Not only is music important to the atmosphere of a game, I find music and driving/racing just go very well together, there's a reason why songs are written about driving, racing, and road trips. It would also be very boring doing an endurance race on a game like Gran Turismo and not having any music. That said, playing with manual transmission, listening to the music the car makes is important, but I still like having actual music as well.

JessiFox likes this.
  4. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Good point. Music is really a good accompaniment to not only racing games but real driving as well, so seeing as racing games are even more enhanced versions of real world driving, since not many of us can race in the real world, then it only follows that a good song can enhance the racing experience even more even if it's just virtual.

5. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

I think that music is important for setting the mood. It can even motivate you if it's uplifting. A good selection of music can really add to the racing game experience..

6. JessiFox

JessiFox Member

I do think it's important...I do for any game, really. It's not as important as it is in other kinds of games where it really sets the mood or helps create an atmosphere of a certain kind, but it still matters.

7. JessiFox

JessiFox Member

That's an interesting thought. I hadn't really considered it before, but yes, I see you're quite right in that thinking.

8. edthebig

edthebig Member

One of the main reasons why I loved NFS underground II was the soundtrack, damn I loved that thing. The game in itself was awesome but the soundtrack, geez that was amazing.

9. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

Though I can't relate to using manual transmission, I definitely get what you mean about the music. Whenever you cruise in a car in real life, don't you like having music on? I know I do. It definitely adds to the experience.

10. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

It is relatively important. I still like the engine sounds and the environment sounds more but music is good too.
    There's some music that really gets you pumped up and energetic.
    I think it is pretty important as long as it doesn't interfere with the other sounds of the game.

11. edthebig

edthebig Member

Even though those are very important I think that they complement each other. I could not have a good racing without good music. Or a good racing game without good engine sounds and environment sounds.

12. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I can understand this. Whenever I need to concentrate on winning, I tend to shut off the music too, but if I want to just relax and have fun then I turn it on. I only turn off the music if I'm trying to unlock levels or trying to beat bosses.

13. Solar

Solar Member

You know, I actually feel like I'm special in the sense that I always turn down the engine sounds so that they're barely audible. I really want to hear the music, you know?

14. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

Music is an important component of any and every video game, really. It can really add to the atmosphere of the game. Music can add to or ruin the feeling of a moment, depending on what kind of music it is. You want it as appropriate as possible.

15. jurew2

jurew2 Member

I think that it is important, because a badass racing game song will make you feel badass when you play the game. I think that the songs in the racing games pump you up so you get more into the games that you play and enjoy them more.

16. Denis Hard

Denis Hard Member

Sometimes the music gets on my nerves. That's why most of the time I set the music volume low and crank up the sound effects instead.

Nonetheless it entirely depends on the game. There are those games with great music which I'll listen to as I play while others that have so-so music which doesn't add much to my gaming experience gets turned down or off .

17. connor0629

connor0629 New Member

To me, music is very important in any game. If a game has a bad sound track, then I'd play it less than I would one with a good sound track. Its not only an opinion, bad music can throw off your brain and affect the way your preform.

18. vennybunny

vennybunny Member

I would have argued that sound is not very important in a game. And then a glitch on my Prototype copy forced me to play without sound. I couldn't even finish the game.

I guess it's one of those things that when working, you never notice. But the moment it's gone you know something is terribly wrong.

19. Alabamagrl187

Alabamagrl187 New Member

The music is nice on a racing game or any game for that matter, but it's not that important to me because me and my husband have a flash drive with music on it that we use if we don't like the music on the game.

20. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

Really, a good soundtrack is important for any game, racing or not. There are a lot of times where you're having trouble in a game, and you have to repeat a moment. You'll probably have to hear the same song over and over. It's better if it's a high quality, addictive song that you're gonna like. Besides, some games make money on their soundtracks by selling the soundtrack CDs. So if they want revenue in that aspect, the soundtrack should not be weak.