Is music important in a racing game?

Discussion in 'Sim Racing' started by Ghost Rider, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider Member

Music and sound have always a part of every video game. And a lot of video games have used sound in unique ways. Metal Gear Solid took the concept to another level. Guitar Hero is centered on you hitting the right notes. Music is important in DDR in order for you to get into the rhythm to dance. What about in racing games? Is music that important to you?

2. dannyboy

dannyboy Member

Yes i think it is important. The music can give you a real good vibe when you are racing and driving in the game.

3. pxyc

pxyc New Member

It's important, but not the most important thing in a game. I like when the built in radio function in a racing game has decent music on it (IMO) and not some crappy rap song that repeats itself 20 times (I'm looking at you, Drake). If the music in a game sucks, I'll just grab my portable speakers and blast some music out of that.

4. gats

gats Member

I think music is important in all games in general. Racing games definitely need a fast paced sound track to match the tempo of the game itself. I am not a big fan of looping rap music that is found in some racing games either.

5. Solar

Solar Member

I think it's definitely important. It makes some games stand out, like Split/Second. Split/Second wouldn't be as awesome as it is without its extremely good dynamic soundtrack, in my opinion.

6. ItsyA

ItsyA New Member

I do not think a game would be as good without music, so basically yes. I really enjoy listening to game songs even when i'm not playing the games like the final fantasy songs especially my Sanctuary/Passion of the Kingdom Hearts 2 or Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time. I can't even imagine some of these games without the songs.

7. wowtgp

wowtgp Member

Just imagine how dull it would be to ply a game without some awesome music. Everything will be so vapid. Don't you think? Music plays an important role in games. If it is not good, the whole game will suffer no matter how good the gameplay is.

8. GetFresh

GetFresh Member

I would say it's essential, but it sure does liven up the game. You don't have to just listen to the sounds from the car, but also some soothing music while passing someone up. I like to think of music as the seasoning to a meal, you don't want it bland.

9. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

It's very important, I think. It sets the mood of the game you're playing, and gets you pumped up when the stakes intensify. When done right, the music becomes more than just something to fill the silence with, but rather a part of the game that gives your experience that much more substance.

10. zambothegreat

zambothegreat Member

It's not integral, but it can add to the experience in certain cases. The music from Need for Speed: High Stakes is one of the more memorable aspects of the game to me. And in an open world game like Paradise City, it makes it feel more organic, like you're actually listening to a radio. More often than not though, I'll set the music to a lower volume so I can hear the sound of the car.

11. randee555

randee555 Member

I think the music is important. When playing a game where I'm driving, I want to feel like I am truly driving. When I'm driving in the real world, I have my music on and like to do the same with my games.

12. msreebaybay

msreebaybay Member

I don't think Music in racing games are too important. However I do love riding to good music. Sometimes I will even turn the music down all the way on the game and pay my own music. I don't think music makes or breaks a game though.

13. rossonomous

rossonomous Member

I think music is pretty important but only the music that I actually put on myself. I'm not worried about the in-car radio and stuff like that, but I do like to have music on playing from my laptop.

14. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Member

YESYESYESYES. I hate when racing games have bad soundtracks. It drives me nuts.

15. Rawisjason

Rawisjason Member

Yeah I'd say music is crucial in racing games. You can't just drive around with no noise but the sound of the car accelerating. If it was like that then it would get boring after a while. If you hear music you get hyped up and want to play the game. However, it all depends on the music choice. You can't be driving around listening to classical music (unless that's what you're into).

16. dinomarino1

dinomarino1 Member

of course the music sets the atmosphere! without good racing music is it really a fun racing game?

17. scottguy

scottguy New Member

I think for a racing game especially, music is important to keep the vibe of the constant motion of the game itself. The bigger-console Sonic games have always done really well with the music-- they have the band Crush 40 (and often more high-profile celebrities, as well) writing theme songs and scores to their games, which has always been at least part of the draw for me, and has actually introduced me to some of my favorite bands. The music is really important to supporting the high speeds suggested by the visuals in the game.

18. dannyboy

dannyboy Member

I think it is important because it enhances the overall gaming experience and it adds to the aura of driving around in the game. It just makes everything more entertaining.

19. Wick99

Wick99 Member

While it is important, I don't really think it makes or breaks the game. Think about it though, isn't it just thrilling when the music speeds up on that last lap of a tight Mario Kart race?

20. Timeisrelative

Timeisrelative New Member

Yes, music helps build atmosphere. Without music it can quickly become dull and you will feel like something is missing. And then after you have noticed that it is music that is lacking. You will probably end up irritated by that fact.