is it worth it to buy a new pc just for GTA V?

Discussion in 'GTA V General Discussion' started by aeonx, Apr 15, 2015.

1. aeonx

aeonx New Member

Hello everyone!
    My pc stats are : Dualcore 2.5 ghz
    Nvidia 9600 GeForce
    4 GB RAM

The question is:
    Is it worth it to upgrade or make a new pc just for GTA V? How much would it cost me ?
    Can I run it as it is or with less money spent on the PC?
    Really appreciated if you could help me build a pc too x'D

2. xlzqwerty1

xlzqwerty1 Member

The minimum PC spec requirements here http://ca.ign.com/wikis/gta-5/GTA_5_PC_Specs states that you'd need a quadcore CPU (or at least an Intel Dual Core with Hyperthreading, e.g. i3 CPU) and a minimum 9800 GT to play on the lowest settings possible (and most likely at a lower resolution as well).
    You're also looking at 65GB of hard drive space being used.

If you really want to experience GTA V in all it's HD glory on PC, you're definitely going to need to upgrade your PC entirely.

Do you have a budget in mind, that you do not want to exceed?

Ideally, a modern enthusiast gaming PC today would cost around ~1000$ USD with an i5 and a relatively good graphics card that will play most games on High to Ultra on 1080p minimum.

3. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

If you want to play GTAV that much, and it is definitely worth playing by the way, wouldn't it just be cheaper to buy a PlayStation4 and play it on that instead?

4. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

You can easily find a PC that is good to play GTA V, you just have to search for one.
    Take a look at this site, you should find something here: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc

1 person likes this.
  5. burtpovski

burtpovski Member

I agree with what pwarbi said. If you want it badly enough, then you can. But personally I wouldn't upgrade my PC JUST for one game. I mean if you were intending to upgrade your PC for other games anyways, then by all means go for it.

6. troutski

troutski Active Member

It's not necessarily worth it to buy a brand new PC, but your PC seems like it's lacking to some degree. You might benefit in more ways than being able to play GTA V by upgrading to a better PC!

7. Aladar

Aladar New Member

You definitely need to build a new PC to play it. Upgrading won't help at all. That said, depending on what kind of detail you want to run it on, you may get a whole PC for ~400 or so that SHOULD be able to run it just fine. As far as I know, GTA5 is pretty well optimized for the most part, so it'll run on budget machines as well.

8. Briggs

Briggs New Member

Lol no. If that's just one of the reasons you want a new of, you should go for it. But if that's the only reason, I would say nah

9. niiro17

niiro17 Member

YOu can upgrade it or just buy a PS$ if you really want to play this game.

10. duckvader

duckvader New Member

This is the best suggestion you can get. Go there and spend some time reading. You can make a relatively good rig for less than 1000$ if you REALLY do your homework. But like everyone else said it all comes down to how much money you want to put down for it and to what extent do you want to enjoy the game (Highest graphics, decent but playable, etc).

I also agree with another post that mentioned the game is pretty well optimized and I can run it on my budget laptop in all low settings.

11. Arvis

Arvis Member

Just for GTA V? Not worth spending huge money unless you will also use that computer for other games and applications...
    But for a budget setup I'd recommend getting:
    * Intel Core i5 4570 CPU
    * GTX 660 GPU (or GTX 660 Ti if it's not too expensive)
    * 8 GB DDR3 RAM

This setup would be good enough to run GTA V with decent graphics settings (not far from maximum) and with solid FPS. It shouldn't cost too much, because parts I listed aren't the latest but are still really good for running every game on decent settings with 1080p resolution.

12. spectre456

spectre456 Member

It's not worth it in my opinion. Getting a good pc is not cheap, and if the only reason you're getting it is for one game I would recommend getting a console. Getting a high end pc is a great investment though, and you should definitely go for it if you intend to use it for more than just GTA.

13. TheViper

TheViper Member

I would say yes and no to this question. You can easily spend about $500 or even less to be able to play GTA. Personally, I would buy a PC to be able to play other games and not just GTA.

14. Marie Howard

Marie Howard New Member

For me it worth it! You can play gta 5 on your PC with the full / max graphics and it will be awesome.

15. canineartist

canineartist New Member

Yes, it is. Even better, you won't be buying it for GTA V alone. You can also play The Witcher 3 on it. It's like a GTA, but with magic. And sex.

16. nytegeek

nytegeek New Member

I wouldn't buy a new pc for one game title. If your computer is really old and you were already planning to maybe. If you can do some minor upgrading there is no need. it really depends on the age of your hardware vs. the system requirements.

17. GlacialDoom

GlacialDoom Member

If you have previously played the game on a console, then I would advise waiting a bit until you find more reasons to upgrade, because by then, there will be way more mods which will enhance your experience on PC. If you haven't played it before and want to play it really badly, then it is definitely worth it.

18. iK1NG

iK1NG New Member

I'd say just to upgrade your CPU/RAM or buy a console, they're pretty cheap now that the market is fairly saturated with them.

19. Susime

Susime Active Member

I'd vote for getting a console and a copy of it for said console.

If you're dead set of wanting it on PC and money is no option then I would go for a totally new built PC which will not come cheap (looking at anywhere between 1000 - 2000). I'd say to upgrade the weakest components of your PC but then you run the risk of the newer components becoming bottlenecked by the now weaker components.

20. AmeJouten

AmeJouten New Member

With your stats, honestly, you need to upgrade. You're still on a dual core, you're missing out on a lot of other games besides GTA V at this point. You can get a current gen pc for around 500 bucks easily, premade or hand built, whichever you prefer and you'll be glad you did.