Is Grand Theft Auto V The Best Open World Game?

Discussion in 'GTA V General Discussion' started by troutski, Oct 15, 2014.

1. troutski

troutski Active Member

You read it. Is Grand Theft Auto V the best open world game? I don't think so, despite it being one of the best games I've played in years. There are so many other games that do certain things right that GTA V gets wrong. Perhaps you think another GTA title deserves the nod, or another game entirely. What's your opinion?

2. spectre456

spectre456 Member

I think GTA V is the best in what it tries to do. It does have a few contenders like Sleeping Dogs and Saints Row, but they're not as good as GTA in my opinion. Depending on your preference you might consider Skyrim a better open world game, but it's not the same type of game to be honest.

1 person likes this.
  3. mauricioq

mauricioq Member

In my opinion yes. I agree with specter, Saints Row and Sleeping Dogs are good but GTA ends up being way better. Mafia II is also pretty good, I loved the story on it and it's probably my second choice, after GTA of course.

4. moaz13

moaz13 Member

I disagree, I prefer Just Cause 2. One thing that has that GTA does not is emergent gameplay. There's just a set of rules that the game has and I have the freedom to do whatever, like leash a man to a gas can, shoot it and watch him fly into the stratosphere! :p

5. Brem

Brem Member

I wouldn't say yet, as it's only been out for a year, but I personally think it's one of the best open world games. You still have the likes of Fallout and Skyrim to contend with, and many other games out there as well. It's a big game and big world. I just don't know if it's the best open world game around.

6. Alabamagrl187

Alabamagrl187 New Member

Yes in my opinion it is the best open world game, because it is the most realistic to me.

7. js85

js85 New Member

I don't know about *the best*, but I agree that it's one of the better ones. It's pretty versatile and fun, and definitely a lot of small "easter eggs"

8. srofltank

srofltank New Member

No, but it's one of the best. Personally I think games like Skyrim and Fallout are a far more superior open world game because of the amount of things you can encounter along with the mods. Nonetheless, Rockstar made the roaming and open-world part of the game more diverse rather than focusing on killing people or finishing the storyline.

9. RamZor

RamZor Member

Its a pretty good open world. I still think Skyrim beats GTA though.

10. troutski

troutski Active Member

I played Skyrim for 50+ hours, and never once did I think the game was better than Fallout 3 or New Vegas. Oblivion was a far better open world game in my opinion. I think GTA V is king right now, but there are areas that other games cream GTA V in when it comes to features in the open world.

11. RadialPerson

RadialPerson Member

GTA in my opinion is by far the best open world game. Take Sleeping Dogs for example, I recently played the latest Definitive edition release of the game which came out last month and it's a far cry from GTA V. Everything from driving to side quests and upgrades is pretty bad compared to GTA V. The only thing Sleeping Dogs does better than GTA V is the hand to hand combat. I think the key issue with most other open world games is they struggle to provide enough to do beyond the story whereas with GTA games the story is only part of the game and not its entire focus.

12. srofltank

srofltank New Member

Meh. I think Fallout vs Skyrim is more of a preference thing, as Skyrim is more of a medieval-ish concept rather than Fallout's futuristic setting. GTA V simply doesn't have as much open-world content compared to Fallout or Skyrim. These games have mods that can make it's open-world setting much more epic (graphic mods, random encounters, etc) and GTA V doesn't have that so far. Maybe (and hopefully) there'll be mods when the PC version comes out but I don't think GTA can beat TES or Fallout.

13. ariana

ariana New Member

I wouldn't say the best. The "best" game in my opinion would be one with a successful multiplayer, which GTA just doesn't have. Everyone just trolls around, and it isn't a very immersive experience. Also, the only options in GTA are really fight, explore, and crime. It doesn't have the range of skills that a game like Skyrim has. I liked Fallout 3 better when it came to 'exploring an open world'.

14. lordiro

lordiro New Member

Its the best, have you tried GTA VI. it has come with new things altogether(graphics,characters. name it,everything new).
    Try it and you will love it.

15. cabrannon529

cabrannon529 New Member

GTA V is the best in what it aims to be the best in. There are some people who may like the Elder Scrolls series, and for that reason, may say Elder Scrolls Online, or Skyrim are the best open world games, but GTA V is the best in the genre it aims to be the best in. The wild success of the game shows that.

16. Cyrus

Cyrus New Member

Skyrim and GTA V are just different kinds of games. I would argue that GTA V probably had a better story, and obviously it had multiplayer. But its world just didn't feel as alive as Skyrim's did. You could get lost in Skyrim's world, whereas GTA is kind of what you see is what you get. I think that GTA V is the best open world action game, but Skyrim is the best open world game, period.

17. Spar10

Spar10 New Member

I definitely disagree. There are a whole host of open world games that completely outclass GTA V. In the crime based city sub-genre, Mafia or the Saboteur win hands down. In regards to scale, Just Cause or the Elder Scrolls both massively eclipse GTA V. If you're looking at the best multiplayer experience, I'd argue that any decent MMO would beat GTA into the dirt. That's not to say that GTA is a bad game, it's fantastic and well deserves its critical acclaim. It's more of a jack of all trades than a focused experience and that causes it to become lesser in every field than its competitors.