Is Forza a Sim Racing Game or an Arcade Racer?

Discussion in 'Sim Racing' started by Denis Hard, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Denis Hard

Denis Hard Member

It may sound like a strange question but I've seen it referred to as both an arcade and Sim racer. How can a game be both an arcade and Sim racing game at the same time?

A few think it is a Sim but they say it's not a "hard core" Sim racing game.

Thoughts?

2. spectre456

spectre456 Member

I've only played a bit of Forza, but it's a simulation with arcade elements in my opinion. Some of the physics are just slightly off for a true simulator, but it's nothing too extreme. I didn't have time to try it with the assists off, but that may give it a different feel and put it in pure simulator territory. I'll have to try that next time I have a chance.

Denis Hard likes this.
  3. ZXD123

ZXD123 Member

It's a little bit of both. A little hard to explain but many of my friends consider Forza more as a simulator game than an arcade game. A good and perfect mix in my terms haha!

4. Squigly

Squigly Active Member

It's pretty realistic as far as racing games go, so I'm more inclined to placed it under sim racing.

5. raceman998

raceman998 Member

I have searched but I have not able to find about. I think it's a real game. It can also be a mixture of both because it has some arcade feature.

6. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I also think it's a mix of both. There is something about it that doesn't seem like it's aiming for extreme realism as much as other games seem to aim for, although they are getting very close to it.

7. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

It's a hybrid, it definitely has a lot of realism added to it but I wouldn't call it a sim game, it has a lot of arcade additions. Forza is pretty realistic though.

8. krnd

krnd Member

I'd just straight up name it an arcade game because it has way too many features and honestly does not feel very much like a racing sim at it's core to me.

9. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Good point. I think sim games are strictly done as realistic as possible and there's a line you cross that's very near perfectly realistic and this game certainly has crossed that line.

10. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

I've always thought that a simulation racing game is more of a "first person" perspective, while arcade racing games have third person views. And even though they are both racing games, you can't "feel" driving the car in third person, and that's why first person racing games often come with unique gaming rigs, like multiple monitors to simulate windows, steering wheel and pad breaks, etc.

11. Toast

Toast New Member

I feel like it's closer to a simulating racing game, than anything else. It tries it's best to be up to date with graphics, and using real models, and having the controls feel "Real". It doesn't have many arcade-y or catroony aspects too it, so while it's not the most realistic sim out there, I think it's trying to be.

12. justrace

justrace Member

In my opinion, it is a realistic game. This game has some features that other realistic games contain. The physics in this game is very real. This game has not been labelled. Actually, it's simply a racing game and we can't call it a real or arcade racing game.