Is Crash Team Racing the Best Racing Game?

Discussion in 'Sim Racing' started by tgthewriter1, Apr 1, 2016.

1. tgthewriter1

tgthewriter1 Member

It is a very fun game that is similar to Mario Kart 64. It has a descent story line that is about Crash Bandicoot saving the world from an evil alien race. He also has to compete with a dark mask that wants to take over the world. So, he races different opponents in on different worlds in order to save the universe from aliens. The game has many weapons and characters that can be picked. Is it the best racing game in the world? I do not know the answer. But, I was hoping one of you guys can tell me the answer.

spence88 likes this.
  2. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

What the best racing game in the world is, is hard to say as everyone will have their own opinions and they'll like different aspects of a game.

Personally I don't like games like this as I prefer my racing games to be more like simulators and more realistic. I'm sure this is a good game, it's just not for me.

3. spence88

spence88 Member

It's really hard to make an appropriate criteria for racing games to judge which game is the best. I don't think it's the best racing game. Although I did enjoy Crash Team racing, especially the battle mode. (Man, I thought only Nintendo racing games have this mode!) I would definitely play this again given the opportunity.

pwarbi likes this.
  4. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I kind of think the same but when it comes to the Mario games. While they're racing games, as in you race against each other, to me I wouldn't really put them in the same niche as Forza or Gran Turismo or anything like that.

5. ZXD123

ZXD123 Member

Again, it's hard to say which is the best racing game. My favorite racing game may be different to yours and every one classifies their racing games differently from others as well.

6. Locoton22

Locoton22 Member

I would not say that it is like definitely the BEST racing game ever but it actually used to be one of the best and one of the funniest games ever, I really enjoyed playing it specially with friends, old PSOne days.

7. tgthewriter1

tgthewriter1 Member

I will admit that I might have been wrong about this game. But, this is a game that is best played with friends. When you play the game by your self, you can not really enjoy the game. I understand that times have changed. People want to play games online and that’s fine. But, sometimes you need to play games offline. Playing games online is not fun when it comes to racing games. It’s hard to explain. You have to play racing games offline to understand what I mean. I appreciate the responses but sometimes I want racing games to be more unrealistic.

spence88 likes this.
  8. spence88

spence88 Member

Yeah, I understand you, some games are indeed fun to play offline. There is a barrier when you play online games, and there seems to be not much interaction compared to playing it locally with friends or offline in a single room or screen. Not to mention, there is inevitable lag when you play online, decreasing the overall experience. Absolutely agree, Crash Team Racing is meant to play with friends locally. That's why it's called "team" :)

9. sillylucy

sillylucy Member

I remember playing Crash games at my neighbors house. It was a lot of fun. I wouldn't call it the best racing game ever, but it is fun to play with a group.

10. rajesh1209

rajesh1209 Member

I loved this game but it's very difficult to choose the best one. I loved the graphics of the game. The soundtrack was really wonderful. So, it can be called a 'good game' but not the best one.

11. spectre456

spectre456 Member

It was extremely fun for sure, but I wouldn't go as far as to call it the best racing game. There's a lot of games out there and it's really hard to just say one of them is the best.

12. Okaviator

Okaviator New Member

In my opinion the best game in the world is Mario Kart Wii. You really can't say a certain game is the best because everyone has their own opinion.

13. spence88

spence88 Member

Yeah, that's why we need to create an appropriate criteria to judge them fairly. However, these racing games, even though they are under the same genre, are still so different to each other we can't make one! So yeah, I guess the 'best racing game' may never exist because there are just so many factors. I guess if we used the voting system as criteria and get everyone to vote, then we can name the best, but that is definitely biased :)

14. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I think that anytime the word best is used, its always going to cause a bit of debate, simply because we're all going to have different opinions on what the best actually is.

Even if you have a set criteria to judge it by, I think you'll still get a debate.

15. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I never got to play this game but given that I hear so much about it I'd assume there is some truth to it. If it's not the absolute best then I'm guessing it's surely in the top of many people's lists. I myself prefer arcade type racers but not the cute ones like the kart racers so for me it's not even on my radar but maybe I'd change my mind once I get to play it.

16. raceman998

raceman998 Member

Yes, you are right. The game is very similar to Mario cart. Well, I can't call it the best game yet but it's a decent game. The graphics is decent. I would rate it 8/10.

17. Denis Hard

Denis Hard Member

There's no "best" racing game per se. New games are being made all the time so there's no telling if a new game will be better than all the others you've played.

That said, the game referred to in the OP does sound like it can be interesting. Did some research and found that it's an "old" game. I suppose one could find it on an abandonware site.

18. krnd

krnd Member

I loved this game as I grew up playing it with my cousins, plus the whole story mode side to it was very engaging, I wish Crash would make an appearance in the near future, he's been so neglected and people sure are missing out on alternatives to the usual mario kart.

Wubwub likes this.
  19. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I was also around when crash got really famous but I never got it that much personally. I think a lot of people also might have felt the same way so maybe that's why he never got famous. I think the character design might have something to do with it as it's just not as easy to get drawn to as Mario or sonic, but maybe thAts just me.

20. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

It's a fun little game that you can play with friends but it's definitely not the best racing game ever made. After all you're competing with titles like NFS, Burnout, Forza and so on..