Is 8 the best Mario Kart ever?

Discussion in 'Mario Kart' started by Diego Carmona, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Diego Carmona

Diego Carmona New Member

As a massive fan of the N64 version who thought it would never be toppled, I have to say after playing Mario Kart 8 I have entirely changed my mind. I think it is the most complete, fun, and original experience any Mario Kart has to offer. Everything, from the physics to the mechanics are perfect. What are your thoughts on this? Do you guys agree with me?

2. tjmsrubegoldberg

tjmsrubegoldberg New Member

Mario Kart 8 definitely beats any of the other Mario Kart games in terms of graphics, but I don't think I would call it my favorite overall. Personally, I did not really enjoy the track selection in general for 8. I feel like they missed some great tracks from previous generations for the retro tracks, and a lot of the new tracks aren't really interesting to me. I also wish a few more characters from previous games reappeared in 8.

If I had to choose a favorite, I would probably select Mario Kart Wii. I loved the track selection, character selection, and vehicle variety. Many of the tracks were unique and interesting, along with simply being more fun than frustrating to race on. I like how the characters had different stats, rather than it simply being divided up by weight category as in 8. The bikes in Mario Kart Wii had a unique strategy with wheelies, and the vehicle designs were interesting and had more variations in stats than the individual parts in 8.

One of the things unique to 8 is the DLC however. I'm optimistic that Nintendo will broaden the track selection to include some of the best tracks that weren't included in the game, along with adding in new, more interesting ones. While the characters that I miss from Mario Kart Wii won't be part of the DLC, some of the new characters that will be added are still interesting. The DLC will also add more variety in the vehicle selection, which I look forward to. Overall, 8 may not be my favorite Mario Kart just yet, but it has the potential to improve easily.

3. Squigly

Squigly Active Member

In terms of content, replayability and graphics, I would say that MK8 trumps its predecessors. Online play is especially important, since multiplayer is the heart of the game. Being able to instantly join games with countless other players online was something unheard of on the older consoles.

The only thing that I am not too happy with is the ladder ranking. Losing one game, which happens very often due to the luck factor in the game, can set you back plenty of VR points.

4. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I agree. I think they really got their formula down with this recent installment and the additions they made didn't at all feel like gimmicks or unnecessary. Best is subjective of course, but to me it is looking very good for this one and I honestly would consider it as the best, personally.

5. moaz13

moaz13 Member

It definitely is, they can only go up from where they are. Its just improving on the already excellent already existing core game, just making it look better and play better. The little gimmicks they added I feel actually improved the game, like the anti-gravity.

6. NathanG

NathanG New Member

Eh, while I really do like Mario Kart 8, I have to say that Mario Kart 7 is where my heart is. I really like the handheld Mario Karts, and MK7 is the best one so far. Mario Kart 8 does have very nice mechanics though, such as the anti-gravity system.

I can't wait for the next Mario Kart for a handheld device!

7. Gin0710

Gin0710 Member

I would love to find out. I am so behind on the games these days.

8. teabwoi

teabwoi Member

It is one of the most fun Mario Kart games that I have ever played but to say that it is the best I would say no. Honestly top me I think that the best Mario Kart game has to be the one that was on the N64. Now I will tell you that I think that this game is really good because the graphics are just mind blowing.

9. TheViper

TheViper Member

The recent installment of Mario Kart is definitely my favorite. I found it very fun to play with or without someone.The game literally lived up and beyond my expectations.

10. racingdad

racingdad New Member

I adore the new Mario but I cant seem to get much enjoyment with it without some friends having an LAN party.

11. wowtgp

wowtgp Member

The latest Mario Kart is one of the best from the series without a shed of doubt. No one can argue about it.

12. Lanny

Lanny New Member

I think all the Mario Kart games are really a lot of fun to watch and play. My brother insisted on getting it immediately after work today. He's been waiting all month. It's like Christmas around here. The replays have put him in a state of nirvana, and he's already uploaded three runs directly to his YouTube channel from the console. Thanks, Nintendo, for turning my brother into an even bigger nerd than I already am.

13. JessiFox

JessiFox Member

I've actually really enjoyed all of the Mario Kart games for the most part, but I agree with you in that 8 definitely seems to be the best...it's nice to see some that have been around so long still getting better =).

14. BluBird

BluBird Member

Mario Kart 7 is. It was the best balanced one. Mario Kart Wii had the best roster though.

15. jurew2

jurew2 Member

I would agree with almost everyone that posted before me, the Mario Kart 8 is probably the best Mario Kart ever. It just feels like the most complete game that was ever released with this name and it is also the most fun.

16. troutski

troutski Active Member

Overall, I would have to give the edge to Mario Kart 8 compared to the games that came before it.

17. iuseluigi

iuseluigi New Member

I don't agree with you on half this. I think that Mario Kart 8 is the best in the series so far but I do agree with you that DLC broadens the appeal of MK8. I know you wrote this before the DLC and it's only been out for a few days but the tracks they added are great. Mute City seems to be getting the more praise so far as I can tell and for good reason. If you haven't yet you should check the new tracks out. Also, we'll be getting more tracks in May next year.

tjmsrubegoldberg likes this.
  18. tjmsrubegoldberg

tjmsrubegoldberg New Member

I preordered both of the DLC packs quite a while ago. It definitely looks as amazing as I had hoped from what I've seen, although I haven't actually gotten a chance to play it yet. If all of the new content added is as good as it seems, I may have to alter my opinion of the game, which was only based off of the content shipped with it in my earlier post. Regardless, I have to give Nintendo props for being one of the few companies willing to give players DLC worth buying, instead of overpriced, low-effort DLC that seems to be popular now.

I do wish there was less of a gap between the two DLC packs, but I would guess that the purpose of the wait is to keep the game relevant and exciting after the initial fervor for the first DLC dies down.

19. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I agree. The new tracks are great and definitely worth the money. It's added a new layer of fun for me to an already very fun game and I think these days DLC can get abused by developers but this doesn't feel abusive to me.

20. GlacialDoom

GlacialDoom Member

Definitely. There is a reason this game gets as much publicity and praise from the fans as it gets. Downloadable Content, as done by Nintendo, is fantastic, and shows that not all DLC is necessarily bad. Also, while I LOVE this game, I have to say I miss the nostalgia of playing Mario Kart DS with my friends who didn't own the game, due to the Share & Play system. Damn, many fun races were had in parks the year that I got that game.