In terms of racing, how good is GTA V?

Discussion in 'GTA V General Discussion' started by FuZyOn, May 1, 2015.

1. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

I'd give it an 8/10. The steering of the cars could be better, the feeling is also not very "race-y" but it's to be expected from a game who doesn't focus on those things.
    I like the cars though, they are very well designed.

2. duckvader

duckvader New Member

To be completely honest it feels the same as in the other games. As the above poster said the steering is pretty weird but from what I have heard I think there's a few mods on the way that might improve that aspect so I suggest keeping an eye out for them. Same thing happened in Gta4.

3. Susime

Susime Active Member

I'd rate the racing as good but not superb. The street races are quite fun but it seems that the AI cars your racing with a tuned to match you in terms of performance. For example if you took a supercar with all performance mods installed the AI would still be hot on your heels. The off-road races I like a little more if I'm honest. I can't put a finger on why I like them, I just do, but I find them a little too easy sometimes and I wish there could be more off them what with all the trails there are on the map. They could even put in a sort of rally event in where you're racing against time instead of other cars on the course.

In terms of handling I do like it. Last night I took a modded Futo around the twisty roads just outside the city and was attempting to drift it. Great fun that was.

4. Aladar

Aladar New Member

It's alright, but obviously not the main focus of the game. It definitely can't hold a candle to even more arcade-style titles like Burnout, yet alone the more niche racing games. It's still quite fun, though, and I've spent some time just racing for a good time... just don't expect it to be as good as a racing game.

5. spectre456

spectre456 Member

I think it's really good if you're not looking for anything technical or realistic. If you're looking for an arcade racing experience to pass the time it's perfectly fine.

6. troutski

troutski Active Member

The racing is excellent as far as simple racing mechanics go, and there are some incredible user-made maps that you can race on. I'm not complaining.

7. Thomas Hall

Thomas Hall New Member

I reckon the game has improved in terms of driving cars, and depends on also the sort of car you drive in the game it can be a difference between crashing or hitting someone to making your turns just right. Once you get used to the controls in the game, and also the maps it can be easy to drive around and also learning how roads are and when they turn in curves is a good thing as well. The game has made the cars look real, and suits it as well and feels real great to sit in and drive around as well in the towns and open roads too.

8. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

While the driving and car control as definitely improved, I do still think that it's more of a side issue. People won't buy GTA as a racing or driving game as that a not really what it's all about. If you want a dedicated racing game then there are plenty other options available on the market.

9. Briggs

Briggs New Member

I like all my racing games way better. There's too much going on around me to really get into racing in it

10. niiro17

niiro17 Member

It's fine and simple. Just like the other racing games. But Racing games has better mechanic than GTA V.

11. tibz1337

tibz1337 New Member

I find it great. It's like 75% San Andreas handling and 25% GTA IV and it's great! It's like SA++. As long as it's not the same as it was in GTA IV, I'm happy.

12. W0nderWhite

W0nderWhite New Member

Like many already said racing is a bit hit and miss. Personally I love it. Its definitely not as good as other racing games such as Need4Speed or Burnout but it is quite fun. I don't like the marker system at all though. If they could just have solid line directing where to go similar to way points and mission markers, it would be so much better.

13. MrGravyCakes

MrGravyCakes New Member

Racing is good online, but people are horrible and ram you off the road. It does feel good when they fail and they end up being rammed off themself though:p I love the bycicile races best tbh, that is more skill based rather than running round in a fast car.

14. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Playing any game online can be a challende, especially if your just playing with any random that pops up.

This is even more so in the racing challenges, people resort to all different ways in order to win.

15. Arvis

Arvis Member

Car engine sounds in GTA V make races better. :D However overall I'd say racing in this game is average / fine, after all, it's not a racing game, I don't expect it to be.

16. Escoda

Escoda New Member

If you are looking for an arcade racer I'd definitely recommend it, especially with the custom maps they can be great fun. Only downside is that a lot of people leave the option on which allows people in the back to drive faster, I usually leave it off because I feel like it's more of a challenge that way.

17. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I always turn that option off aswell to be honest. If somebody is at the back they can use their skill to catch up, they're at the back for a reason, your better then they are so why should they be able to use a cheat, basically that allows them to catch up?

I've been at the back many times by the way and list by a big margin, you just take it on the chin though. It's all part of the game...

18. Devonne

Devonne New Member

I would give it about a 7 out of 10. I use to buy GTA for racing because that was what I was really into at the time. As I've gotten older though, well I really get into story mode and enjoy completing missions and what not. GTA V's focus for sure isn't on racing so there are some issues with handling and what not but it's not the worst. I would like to see this improve though in the next one as I still enjoy racing and would like to have a better racing experience regardless if that's the games main focus or not.

19. wowtgp

wowtgp Member

Racing is not as good as some other games like Forza or Driverclub, but the comparison between a racing game and an open world game would be unfair. I would give it a 7/10.

20. Obi

Obi New Member

For a non racing game, the mechanics are good enough. For cars you're driving casually most of the time, they handle well and can be upgraded to do even better in a racing format.