If you could make a racing game..

Discussion in 'Sim Racing' started by rossonomous, Jan 14, 2014.

1. rossonomous

rossonomous Member

Would you make it set races and follow a procedure of choosing each race OR would you make it an open world where you can drive round and do races that take your fancy?

Personally I love open world racing games so that would be my choice.

2. Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider Member

If I could make a racing game, I would make it an RPG-racing type of game. It would be like Racing Lagoon on the PS1 (made by Square). But given the technology that is available now, I would make the world a lot bigger. Players could walk or drive around town, go to different auto shops, compete in races, customize the character, have a little bit of story which is driven by player's choices, etc. It would be fantastic.

3. Rocketman

Rocketman Member

I wold probably just do set races. Open world is fun for games like GTA, but sometimes you just wanna race and don't want to have to drive all the way to the starting position. It's especially bad if when you lose, they don't drop you off at the beginning and you have to drive all the way back to the start to do it again

4. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Member

I would do an open world style game but with progression and gameplay closer to Gran Turismo then NFS. That is pretty much my dream game.

5. Poynt

Poynt Member

I would make flying cars with reality like. Cars like this one would show up in my game.

[​IMG]

6. turklife

turklife New Member

I really enjoyed what Forza Horizon did by balancing open world with structured racing. If I made a game I would try and do something similar, perhaps with the option to have that open world take place online. Players could free roam and street race each other casually, or sign up for structured races and gain a competitive ranking.

7. 4justice

4justice Member

You get props simply for even mentioning Racing Lagoon. I didn't think anyone even knew that existed let alone remembered it.

But if I made a racing game, I wouldn't go simulation because I'm not some expert. I'd just do something closer to what Burnout Paradise has going.

8. msreebaybay

msreebaybay Member

If I could make a racing game, I would not have any cheats first of all. Next I would make sure it was not too difficult to get great cars, but also not too easy. I hate games where it takes you all the way to the end of the game, to get a decent car. Finally I would make sure the game was not repetitive. All racing games usually get repetitive.

9. dinomarino1

dinomarino1 Member

probably a game with leveling up aspects, kind of like an open world that levels you up accordingly

10. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I still prefer just having set roads to play in. I think that condenses all the players into having the same experience which can be very fulfilling when you start looking back. I think open world is still a pretty good option to have, though, so I might just make that secondary if I could.

11. Timeisrelative

Timeisrelative New Member

I would make a racing game where you would start off with like a really cheap old car. And you would need to win races and earn money to get better cars. And it would be in real time compared to the races in real life. So if it is an race in Nürburgring tomorrow in real life then the same race would take place in the game.

12. MissBin

MissBin Member

I would make a game where you can drive in towns and then make drag races where ever you want. Cars would be old fashioned somewhere in the 50s or 60s and pimped to the limit. Also you could earn money when you win a race and buy a new car with car dealers. You could sell your car in a garrage auction if you wanted or just trade it in a drag race.

13. troutski

troutski Active Member

I would go for a more traditional racing game that isn't open world, but I would focus upon making the game far more immersive with more expansive stages that span tens of miles in some cases. I'm not big on open world racing games.

14. sillylucy

sillylucy Member

If I could make my own game I would make it with free custom colors and add ons from the beginning and then do unlockables. I hate it when you're a noob and you have to earn so much money to get a halfway decent car. I think the whole appeal is to have a great car from the beginning or like the one on the cover art.

15. mscolumalum

mscolumalum New Member

I'd have to go with an open world game. I like those better because I could create an entire world for characters to live in. Set races are fun too, but open world is more creative in my opinion.

16. Squigly

Squigly Active Member

I would make a game where you could do crazy driving heists, like that in the Fast and Furious movies.

mscolumalum likes this.
  17. mscolumalum

mscolumalum New Member

That sounds really cool! I'd definitely want to play a game like that. i'm surprised the owners of that franchise haven't thought to capitalize on the video game market. Maybe we should write them a letter.:p

18. Squigly

Squigly Active Member

Yeah, it's really surprising that the Fast and Furious games themselves did not integrate such a feature. Although I do imagine it would be pretty hard to implement in terms of game design.

19. RadialPerson

RadialPerson Member

I would make a racing game similar to Midnight Club Los Angeles, open world street racing game with a detailed customization system for the cars. Pretty much a mix of Need for Speed Underground and Mightnight Club except with updated graphics and a much bigger list of cars, at least 150. I'd also add in car view and include a hardcore mode that makes crashes realistic. Make the world as big as possible with a wide variety of different scenery, urban streets, country roads and super fast highway tracks that actually let you reach top speed before you hit a turn that forces you to slow down.

20. jurew2

jurew2 Member

I would definetely choose an open world racing game, maybe I would do a game similar to The Crew. I love racing games and I love open world games, I would include both of these in my game. I would probably include some new functionalities, but I don't know which yet, but I'm sure it would be awesome :D