I still can't get over the fact that Tommy can't swim.

Discussion in 'GTA Vice City' started by CeliVega, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Balaal

Balaal Member

I've always wondered. I remember before the game came out, there were rumors going around that they were gonna add swimming to the game. I was fairly dissapointed when I heard the truth :(

2. Dinesh

Dinesh New Member

Probably because their engine required some kind of ability which was not available in graphics cards of that time. Or it was entirely possible they were too lazy to actually code it into the engine.

3. BulletsFrozen

BulletsFrozen New Member

I actually find the fact that he can't swim, enjoyable and amusing. It brings back memories of my first time trying to mod a game. I found a "swimming" mod that I installed semi-successfully, and it basically destroyed my whole game. I would step into the water, Tommy would scream, and my screen would go black and crash the game, so I was forced to stick to my "seaways" cars on water cheat :p. Just goes to show how far we have come, earlier GTA's did not even bother letting the player swim, while one of GTA V's selling points was underwater exploration :).

4. jmoriarty630

jmoriarty630 Member

Even if this can be frustrating, it's still part of the game. It wouldn't still be Vice City if you could, haha. Being careful not to run your car straight in water is a typical VC thing. I agree that the developers might have been a bit lazy on this side.

5. trevorwilson131

trevorwilson131 New Member

This is what used to annoy me the most, and it would still frustrate me to this day if I were to install it. I really can't understand why didn't the developers take a bit of time to "learn" Tommy how to swim. That's a big "bug" in the game.

6. Strykstar

Strykstar Member

Hey just consider it part of the lore of the game, that region has lots of crocodiles so as soon as you hit the water, you're dead! :)

7. LanceVance

LanceVance New Member

Ha ha, I know, it's stupid. I hate it when you're on a mission and your vehicle goes flying out of control and lands in the water. Just like that, you're done.

8. Rowe992

Rowe992 New Member

Well the fact that you can't swim in GTA vice city may be due to the fact that the technology was not there when the game was being created. I don't have a problem with it because they game doesn't have any mission that involves going into water.

9. wowtgp

wowtgp Member

I still remember that. If you tend to fall down accidentally, he will sink in less than 3 seconds. I mean, he is allergenic to water after all. Thank god they fixed it in San Andreas.

10. M253

M253 New Member

It was quite a tradition until San Andreas. I still laugh at Tommy's death animation when he falls into the water. I would of expected something better out from one of the best protagonists in any GTA series. That's my opinion though. I loved Tommy and his story throughout Vice City.

11. Athertle

Athertle New Member

It's basically Rockstar being Rockstar, back then. They took the easy way out.

12. moneyman

moneyman New Member

I found it also very annoying. If you accidentally drove in to the water, it meant instant death. Luckily san andreas has the feature of CJ being able to swim.

13. rachael

rachael New Member

It's pretty normal for people, even today, to not be able to swim. I think it gives him character, here we have this strong, powerful man, who has overcome soo much to get to where he wanted to be, and yet he cannot swim. I think it's pretty funny really. Annoying when you're trying to exit a boat, but funny nonetheless.

14. LanceVance

LanceVance New Member

I've died a few times when trying to exit a boat on to the dock. It's a pain in the ass when you are getting out and end up dying because of it.

15. rachael

rachael New Member

I couldn't even tell you how many times I have died because the boat would drift away from the dock, causing me to slip between the dock and the boat, ultimately resulting in my death by drowning. It is a total pain, so I usually stay away from the water as much as I can help it.

1 person likes this.
  16. LanceVance

LanceVance New Member

Whenever it happens to me I always imagine what it would look like it real life. Pretty ridiculous that a grown man would slip in the water and not be able to help himself.

17. Nevi

Nevi New Member

This is funny, i remember when i'm trying to jump boat to boat and ending up falling and looking at tommy's reaction drowning, it's little frustrating but fun.

18. Goat of Departure

Goat of Departure New Member

Hey don't call them lazy idiots. I mean, they managed to make a game as a large as a living breathing city after all so I guess we can forgive a few missed swimming lessons.

But I agree, is it that hard for them to just at least make him warp to shore if they're too lazy to program a swimming sequence instead of him just struggling and dying in the most embarrassing way possible? I mean even dogs can swim better than him.

19. vennybunny

vennybunny Member

Instant-death water is usually hiding a hardware limitation, or a gameplay limitation. For example, if you could swim, then what would stop you from swimming out to the edge of the world?

20. LanceVance

LanceVance New Member

We don't really want to be able to swim, we just don't want to die immediately, just because we touched the water. It's like the water is lava, and just by touching it you die instantly.