How Project CARS Raised $5 Million Without Kickstarter

Discussion in 'Racing Game Central News' started by Shawn Hopkins, May 14, 2014.

1. Slightly Mad Studios’ Project CARS is a gorgeous, as you can see above, crowdfunded racing game. In three years it’s already raised $5 million and has a community of 85,000 players through its own World of Mass Development portal.

Would it have done better through Kickstarter? Slightly Mad’s Andy Tudor recently told Gamsutra why he thinks the WMD portal was better for the game.

“Kickstarter is great, but it doesn’t allow the same level of day-to-day interactivity and behind-the-scenes access to the development team that we chose to allow with the WMD Portal,” said Tudor. “You’re usually reliant on irregular updates to get any kind of insight into progress on the project.”

“If anything,” he adds, “it shows that gamers were eager and looking for something like this regardless of ‘crowdfunding’ being in the populist lexicon at the time.”

Tudor said that by crowdfunding, and by involving the fans in the process, Project CARS has been able to get the kind of attention big budget rivals like Ubisoft’s The Crew have to pay big bucks for.

“We’ve been making the game in full public view for three years now,” Tudor reasons. “There are thousands of YouTube videos of people playing the game already – both from gamers and professional drivers – there are hundreds of thousands of screenshots out there, we’ve been covered by hundreds of magazines and websites, gamers are talking about us on forums and social media, we’re appearing at major exhibitions and conferences. And we haven’t spent a single penny on marketing.”

“Everything you’ve seen about Project CARS has come from either a fellow gamer that’s played it or from the mouths of one of the development team,” he adds. “There’s no middle management filtering what you see.”

There’s more about Project CARS, and its sister project World of Speed, in the full interview.

The post How Project CARS Raised $5 Million Without Kickstarter appeared first on Racing Game Central.

Continue reading...

2. donnie

donnie New Member

Kickstarter works for some people but I don't think everyone needs to use them for a project. I really don't see it working for most games and sometimes they are kind of picky about what projects they take on the last I heard.

3. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

This is the first time I've paid attention to this game, and I never knew it was crowdfunded, which just makes it all the more impressive for me especially without the use of Kickstarter. I think this is a good sign that the gamer market and community is alive and well. I hope this game succeeds to pave the way for more like it in the future.

4. mark973

mark973 Member

That's a crazy amount of money from crowd sourcing especially without a service like Kickstarter. Just goes to show how passionate some people are for a product.

5. mauricioq

mauricioq Member

That's amazing, great for them! Let's see what they will do with the money, hopefully they'll utilize it well and create an awesome game!

6. FosterTXT

FosterTXT Member

That is pretty impressive. Most companies don't even reach there goals on kick starter, let alone all by themselves. It just goes to show if you work hard enough and are truly devoted to your cause you can succeed.

7. Jun Yun

Jun Yun Member

I've been watching this game since I found it last year and the amount of detail and support it has garnered from fans is just impressive to say the least. It also helps that the developers are Slightly Mad Studios, a company that is known for its great racing games.