Have Racing Games Changed Much?

Discussion in 'Sim Racing' started by Denis Hard, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis Hard Member

I read a blog post written by a gamer who played old racing games and laments the fact that they don't make racing games like they used to in the past. The blogger claims he no longer is interested in racing games because they aren't as good as the racing games he played in the late 90s when he was a kid.

I've played old racing games and newer ones and there certainly is an improvement in graphics and car physics which technically make the new games better.

If you've played old racing games, do you think the games have changed so much that some people no longer are interested in the newer racing games [which are supposed to be better]?

2. sillylucy

sillylucy Member

They have changed in the past 10 years or so. I think they are more graphics driven and all about car customization these days. I like the enhanced graphics, but I don't like it when tracks are not given much thought. I want to race on challenging courses.

3. Susime

Susime Active Member

The biggest change has been the graphics I feel, while the physics and technical stuff have evolved secondly.

Current racing games are very sim orientated so I can see people who just want to pick up and play not getting much enjoyment out of it. For instance in Gran Turismo 2 which came out right at the end of the 90's, you could just play around in any car and drive it because the physics were not that great by todays standards but really great by the standards of then. Now, In GT7 if you want to take a race car on a circuit you have to be careful with it because it handles in much a way as it should in reality.

I think modern racers are too in-depth for the casual player.

4. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I personally don't like the heavier lean towards realism over creative gameplay but I feel it's unfair to say that old is better than new because that creativity just has transferred elsewhere and if they just did what the past games did then we'd probably be complaining about that too.

5. Denis Hard

Denis Hard Member

The desire to make racing games feel "real" is probably what makes some people hate the newer racing game. The developers ought to know there are people who don't like realism that much and their preferences should also be taken into account — improve the graphics but let the gamers have their arcadey racers.

6. Susime

Susime Active Member

That's why they still have the options for both modes in the most modern games.

You can chose to go full real with simulation physics and stuff, or you can chose to go arcade mode with dimmed down physics, but the up side is whatever mode you chose, the game will still look gorgeous.

Denis Hard likes this.
  7. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

This is my main gripe with modern racing games as well. I enjoy the realistic graphics but my excitement for that fades after the first few minutes and after that all I'm let with is the bland gameplay. Hopefully these newer games are much better.

Denis Hard likes this.
  8. Denis Hard

Denis Hard Member

I hope so too.

I'd like to see more arcadey racers. Games like Burnout 3 and Burnout Paradise were great. They should make more of such games.

I believe though that successful kickstarter projects will remind the developers that gamers still want more of the good old stuff.

9. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

I feel like the games haven't improved that much. Considering how GTA for example upgraded over the course of the years you can just pity the whole racing franchise. Even NFS:Carbon is similar to today's racing games.

10. Susime

Susime Active Member

GTA has certainly come on in leaps and bounds in looks but I don't feel it has much of a comparison in terms of looks compared to stuff like Gran Turismo & Forza

11. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Yeah hopefully with enough people reviving arcade type racers developers will pay more attention. I think for now they are focusing too much on graphics and not enough on innovation, but maybe that will change once the charm of the new consoles wears off.

12. Squigly

Squigly Active Member

The biggest change in my opinion is a really heavy shift towards DLC, which is quite a shame. I would much rather have cars/tracks being unlockable via gameplay than behind a paywall.

13. Susime

Susime Active Member

Where there is money to be made the chances are they will try to squeeze as much as possible. DLC also keeps the game alive and expands it's longevity.

Two ways of looking at it I suppose but what I'm not a fan of is how the "DLC" seems to already be present within the game and buying the DLC just unlocks it for use.

14. sam123

sam123 New Member

[quote="If you've played old racing games, do you think the games have changed so much that some people no longer are interested in the newer racing games [which are supposed to be better]?[/quote]
    free mobile games download
    I think that needs to change that thinking. of course the new game better than content and quality

15. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

Well, DLCs are the norm nowadays, which is not always the best practice but as a company you need to make as much money as possible. As long as the players are happy you can get away with them! :p

16. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

You're right, and if agree. The only thing I like about DLC is that I know more can be added to the game later on but yeah I would also rather just have them as unlockable content instead.

17. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

Unlockable content was the way to go in the past when not a lot of people had internet, but nowadays DLC is like free money so every company takes advantage of it.

18. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I don't blame them because I would do the same if I were in their position, which is why I really hand it to the developers who are able to balance out the system with content that really is worth the price.

19. Susime

Susime Active Member

The unlock system was very nice and I liked it quite a bit, I mean you had to work on what you wanted and you were rewarded with your efforts. They could still have that system going today but could also have the option for you to pay to unlock everything.

It would be nice in an ideal world but I doubt it will happen.

20. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I think some games mix that type of system along with the current model but yeah it is getting rare these days wherein you could get the same content as someone who pays for it. I have one or two games I know that do this well but even then it takes a lot to unlock things for free but I guess that's just fair since they have to make money too.