Gaming is expensive?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by daimashin, Mar 23, 2014.

1. MattMin2000

MattMin2000 New Member

Well, when it comes to people who may not have a lot of money and that buy games every time they come new, gaming might get kind of expensive. Especially when it comes to PC gaming, where you have to upgrade time from time and that can cost a lot of money. Students, especially students that need to pay university tuition, are probably the ones that are hit by this fact the most, based on the fact that they need to pay another fee that is obviously more important than gaming.

2. nytegeek

nytegeek New Member

It can be. If you rush out to be the first to get a title, buy extras you don't use or pay for content that becomes free. Otherwise it doesn't have to be expensive.

3. allison

allison New Member

Not for me, and not for a lot of us apparently. But it's definitely not a cheap hobby if you become sucked into it. For PC gaming, once you buy a gaming computer, buy a game, buy any expansion packs or DLCS, buy any paid mods, etc, it can be a little pricey. Plus you have to factor in your other stuff like if you buy a special gaming headset, or have to have higher internet than you normally would, or if you have to get more memory or graphics cards...so it can definitely add up. I'm not a console gamer so I can't attest to the price, but I imagine a lot of is the same re: initial purchase/content/headset/internet etc. But for me, my computer isn't fancy, I down own any gaming equipment, I have middle of the road internet and the only real expenses are the games themselves + DLC/expacs.

4. burtpovski

burtpovski Member

I think I got my first console that way as well. I didn't have the money to buy a brand new console, so a friend gave me his!

5. superbobby

superbobby New Member

Steam sales have made gaming more affordable. I always wait for the game to go on sale before I buy it.

6. Devonne

Devonne New Member

I think the prices of games is a little expensive, but then again I don't have the income to buy every game I want brand new for 59.99. I am one of those people who wait until the pawn shop has it or I rent it to check it out before I ever drop that kind of cash on a game.

7. kylerlittle

kylerlittle New Member

I think generally it is quite expensive depending on what console you use and whether it is PC or not, and how you buy your games.

8. jamiew23

jamiew23 New Member

It depends how many games you buy and whether you buy in game purchases. I for one always look out for the best deals and don't own that many games so for me gaming isn't all that expensive but for people who buy a game and complete it then buy another game after I'm sure the bills just add up very fast.

9. kylerlittle

kylerlittle New Member

Also, consoles do make a difference, it also depends what you use to play, what game you play and what you choose to do in the game. All vary depending on these specific points.

10. jamiew23

jamiew23 New Member

Yeah that's very true although the main consoles Xbone and PS4 prices are usually around the same price and each have certain deals cheaper than others.

11. Thomas Hall

Thomas Hall New Member

I think that, it depends on how much you spend as well and need to be careful when it comes to spending your money otherwise will spend too much. I usually buy games, when they are cheaper on the Steam site and there are some games which are free as well and can get games under $10 dollars which is good. I reckon that, buying games when they are on special and also need to be aware when buying games which are more expensive.

12. Slashman8

Slashman8 New Member

I really don't think gamin is expensive. It really depends on a person's spending habits and how big of a gamer they are. As well as their tastes when they come to games.

13. Meeseeks

Meeseeks New Member

I've always viewed it as an expensive hobby when you're a kid relative to other kid hobbies, but a cheap hobby when you're an adult relative to other adult hobbies.

14. Slashman8

Slashman8 New Member

Interesting, I would think most would see it the other way around. Especially with the price of most games nowadays.

15. jakub1

jakub1 Member

Well if you got a good job and low responsibilities, it could be.

16. Slashman8

Slashman8 New Member

True, but as we get older responsibilities become abundant and jobs become more time consuming and don't always pay as much as we like.

17. overcast

overcast Member

I have to agree it is expensive. If you are living outside of the US. Then you can experience the rise in cost. Also the high cost of internet. And also the amount of the time it takes for the games and the stuff to reach. So on that point I'd say gaming is definitely expensive.

18. dionnextherese

dionnextherese Member

Buying from gaming consoles down to gaming accesories are very expensive which makes gaming a very expensive thing to do.

19. Itsmenermin

Itsmenermin Member

For me, it depends.

20. Itsmenermin

Itsmenermin Member

Interesting.