Gaming is expensive?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by daimashin, Mar 23, 2014.

1. daimashin

daimashin New Member

I for one do not think that gaming in anyway is expensive. It is only expensive when we buy every single game coming out brand new. If we can plan and only buy the games we really want new while buying some games that we are interested in during sales or after a price drop, gaming is quite affordable. Gaming hardwares are getting cheaper nowadays too. PC parts drop in price after a few months.

2. tinybutnotfangless

tinybutnotfangless New Member

I normally don't buy games when they are released. Usually, I wait until it's Christmas, Black Friday, New Years or some other sales event to buy my games. Since digital download services like Gog and GamersGate are readily available and there is so much competition everywhere, it's easy to just wait until the game is the right price. Of course, this doesn't help those who make it life's necessity to play right at release.

3. 3Quency

3Quency New Member

I tend to stick to offers on classic games on steam nowadays and stick to what I know, console gaming brand new is incredibly expensive, especially with rent and bills to pay weekly. I do make rare exceptions though such as for GTAV.

4. useruseruser

useruseruser Member

It depends on the person, gaming could be expensive for you but cheap for me. For example, I could buy RPG's which last for 100+ hours and you could buy AAA titles that only last for 30 hours. Both of these games cost the same but they last longer or shorter than each other. Then you could take into account the fact that you could be a PC gamer versus a console gamer. Each platform has it's own positives and negatives.

5. sidney

sidney Member

Since I come from a country where piracy is rampant, you always have the choice to easily buy a game that is bootlegged or go for the original. As for me, I have stopped buying games a long time ago and I just settle for those "free" ones, after all I don't own a console, only a pc.

6. chasedood

chasedood New Member

I honestly do not think that it is too expensive really. When you consider all the time these people put into making these game. All the money they put up (even though they make it all back). I mean it is not an easy task and it is never a guarantee that the game is going to be a hit. But me personally I have no problem paying like $50 for a game, I think it is completely worth it and apparently you do also or you would not buy it.

7. burtpovski

burtpovski Member

I think that new games are so expensive, especially on the new consoles and on PC. They go over $60 which is pretty crazy. I usually just wait for sales or when the game lowers its price before I buy it.

8. latoya0511

latoya0511 New Member

I do the same thing i hate paying for games when they first come out especially if i end up being disappointed.

9. Swagawa

Swagawa New Member

I agree. I find myself only buying 1-3 games on release a year, mainly Fifa, NBA, and a random shooter usually.
    For the rest, I try to hold out on buying until a deal arises. But sometimes I get really bored of my current games, and buy a game simply for the storymode.

10. jurew2

jurew2 Member

Yeah if you wish to play the game that has just been released and plan on buying it, then buying a lot of them is expensive. I usually don't buy the games as soon as they come out and wait for sales so that I can get the games a little cheaper. I also don't buy any new games as soon as they come out because I can hear the reviews about the game, and if it has a lot of bad reviews I usually won't buy the game unless I'm really looking forward to play that game. There are also sometimes some bugs in the early releases of the games and that's why it is better to wait some time before buying it, in my opinion.

11. Paul

Paul New Member

It can be if you buy the games new, but if you stick to things like Steam sales and used/discount games, it can be cheaper. For example, the only games I buy new are the ones that I really want on my Wii U, the rest I either don't buy, or get them when they are on sale on Steam.

12. latoya0511

latoya0511 New Member

I try to buy games that i know i can play for a long time and not be too bored with them. Like 2k (basketball) there is always someone online to play that. I also might choose call of duty and just play multiplayer.

13. Henry

Henry New Member

Well, building a rig is kind of expensive if you're the kind of guy who likes to play everything on max.. The games can be found online for free. My rig wasn't that expensive at all. The most expensive thing on it was the processor.

14. Rob

Rob New Member

Depends on the kinds of games you play and how much but it can be for sure. There are ways to make gaming cheaper though.

15. Iam_Jermaine

Iam_Jermaine New Member

I think that gaming is for the most part expensive. I don't buy every game that comes out but i do buy the games that I've previously been interested in and i find myself spending a lot of money on small things with it for example CoD and headsets, scuff controllers. If i am going to do it, i gotta go all out.

16. Swagawa

Swagawa New Member

I've recently bought some games that have been really worth the money.
    Such as Diablo III, which has a crazy long storymode, and once you hit max level you can keep leveling up forever, and just keep making your character better.
    Then probably the best money I ever spent, was on Gotham City Impostors, which is like 20$ and it's a better FPS then Call of Duty. It's like Call of Duty, but more over the top and fun. Plus there's 1000 levels, and tons of crazy gun and character customization.

17. maul

maul New Member

Its true that only when buying games as they first release will give you quite the hole in the pocket but if you wait you can snag some sweet deals. Especially from the little rich kids whose parents buy them everything, they will tire of the game fast and trade it in Gamestop not caring about the amount lost.

18. MisterRay97

MisterRay97 New Member

Not at all for me. It's relatively cheap. I play on the PC and my PC ain't that expensive, but runs games fine. Also, games are very cheap during sales. Steam sales sell games for dirt cheap almost every time. You can get GTA:IV for $5 on the US Steam store if you wait long enough for a sale. :)

19. skullalif

skullalif New Member

I'd agree with MisterRay97, cross platforming is way too expensive, so i'd prefer to build up my PC so it can cope with heavy graphics, everything's waaay more flexible with a PC.

20. maul

maul New Member

I got my console from a friend that just bought it because everyone else had one and never actually used it. I basically received it for free. And with games I have no problem waiting for them to be on sale.