Firehopping

Discussion in 'Mario Kart' started by SoraLimit, Sep 27, 2014.

1. SoraLimit

SoraLimit New Member

Has anyone tried to firehop in this game? I don't think it's as hard as snaking in the previous games, and it certainly doesn't give you an advantage boost, so I was wondering if it was really worth it, until you get to the higher ratings.

To the uninformed, firehopping is increasing the boost duration from any boost method, by spamming the jump. Only really works in straight roads, downhills really mess you up.

2. vennybunny

vennybunny Member

Is it confirmed to be working? It doesn't seem to be much of a difference from what I've seen.

Plus you look silly jumping about.

3. vennybunny

vennybunny Member

Ah, that makes sense.

In my opinion, time trial isn't the core of mario kart anyways. And since there are tradeoffs, like you mentioned, it doesn't seem game-breaking.

I did play a kart game before with an exploit so imbalanced that drifting had to be removed for a time. (Crazy Kart, if you're familiar?)

4. troutski

troutski Active Member

I'd say it works best in single player, but it's too risky to be valuable in multiplayer. If you mess up a couple of times, then you could find yourself out of the race.

5. JessiFox

JessiFox Member

That's my thought as well, not sure it's worth it overall.

6. Squigly

Squigly Active Member

I'm pretty sure most of the world record track times were done using firehopping. I've lost a few multiplayer games to firehoppers as well, but can't really complain about that, it takes a lot of practice to firehop while making sharp turns/avoiding shells

7. teabwoi

teabwoi Member

I think that maybe I am not doing it right because I have been trying it for sometime and I do not think that it has been working. Does it even really work?

8. utneqo7d

utneqo7d Member

It does work, don't worry.
    1: Start drifting
    2: Get a boost
    3: Release your drift for a boost
    4: Press the opposite button on your controller with your hop at the same time (the hop button is the same as the drift button but you probably knew that)
    5: Again switch to opposite button and hop, so you'll get L + hop, R + hop, L + hop

If it's still not clear, look up some tutorials on youtube, you'll find plenty