Emulators for smartphones

Discussion in 'Mobile Gaming' started by Ghost Rider, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider Member

Who among you is using emulators for smartphones line ePSXe or PPSSPP? I certainly do because these emulators allow me to play retro console games anywhere I am. It's great to be able to play Gran Turismo 2 while I'm on a bus or Mario Kart 64 while lying in my bed. :D

2. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I tried out one or two but couldn't get over having the onscreen controls on there, so I ultimately just gave up on them. They still serve a purpose though especially if you're extremely and desperately bored waiting in line somewhere or something similar. I personally prefer these games to mobile games even if they are outdated, so I did keep some of them on my phone.

3. GetFresh

GetFresh Member

The only emulator I use is for the DS so I can play Pokemon. I'm too cheap to buy an actual DS so I might as well just let my phone substitute as one. Pokemon runs just fine, I am hooked on Pokemon Soul Silver at the moment.

4. Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider Member

Cool! I have a DS emulator (which is called DraStic) on my Note 2 also! It's such a great emulator and it is able to play almost every game that I have downloaded. The DS emulator is perfect for smartphones because the DS is also a touch screen device. Using the DS DraStic emulator on a device with a big screen helps too so that the dual screens would fit perfectly on one large screen.

5. msreebaybay

msreebaybay Member

I had the Gameboy emulator on my iPod touch, and it was very cool at first. However I can't even find time to pick up my iPod anymore, so I don't get that much time to enjoy the emulators anymore. However they are very cool and fun to play.

6. gats

gats Member

I was so happy so discover that my Galaxy S2 could actually play Final Fantasy 9 without messing up too bad. I still have issues running N64 games on my phone though.

7. Rawisjason

Rawisjason Member

I had a gameboy emulator on my iPhone and I always played pokemon on it. I did try to put other emulators on it, but it would either crash or not work at all. My iphone broke though, so I can't play anymore. I thought it was pretty cool to play gameboy games on an iPhone.

8. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

That sounds great! I've been able to emulate Sega and Nintendo games, but never GB games. I'd love to test that out since I always envied my neighbors back then because they had a Gameboy and lots of games. I hope I don't have to jailbreak my tablet / phone though. :)

9. Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider Member

One of the problems of playing N64 games on smartphones is that the N64 games were not made for touch screen. Also, the Galaxy S2 is a dual core device which may have trouble playing some N64 games. It would be better if you were able to upgrade your phone to a quad core device.

10. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Member

I've tried a few but unless it's an RPG it's kind of hard to play on the go.

11. Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider Member

Unless you're using the DraStic app - an emulator for the Nintendo DS. What makes other games hard to play using a mobile emulator is that the virtual onscreen buttons are sometimes hard to locate. I find myself pressing on one button where in fact it's the button beside it which I should have pressed.

12. Wick99

Wick99 Member

I just use a GBA one for Pokemon and Final Fantasy stuff. That's all. My Ipod isn't current enough to play DS games on it but I think that would be really fun.

13. Clanky

Clanky Member

I'm using My Boy (GBA, I own the paid version because of cheats ;)) and sometimes DraStic (NDS). I only use it for stuff like Pokemon, as my GBA and NDS Lite broke a few years ago but I still have this bunch of games.

14. kaitheteen

kaitheteen Member

I only use DS emulators so I can play Pokemon White. I love it so far!

15. jurew2

jurew2 Member

I have a Gameboy Advanced emulator on my Android phone and I enjoy playing the retro games on it. I play games like Final Fantasy, Zelda or Pokemon. When I first figured out that I can play this games on my phone with this emulator I was so thrilled that I played these games non-stop, without taking any big breaks while playing.

16. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I never got to play GBA so I guess this is the perfect time to try it. I could probably download everything I need within 10 mins too which makes it even better.