Driveclub's getting mixed reviews so far.

Discussion in 'Drive Club' started by troutski, Oct 7, 2014.

1. troutski

troutski Active Member

Most reviews are mixed on the game with a few positive ones. The main praises are the visuals and sound design, but they're not very impressed with the crash mechanics, AI, or overall handling in the game. I'd say we've got just another decent driving game on our hands that doesn't really stand out enough to be worth it.

2. BRyze

BRyze Member

I don't really take reviews too seriously when it comes to racing games. It seems like if it's not a Forza, Gran Turismo or Mario Kart game reviewers are going to complain that it's not one of those. I prefer to just play a racing game myself instead of taking the reviewers opinion. The worst thing that could happen is I don't like it and I return it to gamestop in 6 days for a full refund.

3. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Honestly, the more I looked into this game and the more I saw of others, the more generic and boring this one seemed to me. I'll hold off on my own judgement until I get to play it, but so far it's not looking good for me, especially after finding out about these reviews.

4. troutski

troutski Active Member

Well, I did try out the game and I might have been even more disappointed than the reviewers. It's a beautiful game, but everything else is lacking to varying degrees. I'm not impressed after five hours of playing it.

5. crazyman1090

crazyman1090 Member

If this is true, then it looks like I'll have to take a deeper look into it myself. If it really isn't that good, then it looks like I'll be sticking with The Crew.

6. JessiFox

JessiFox Member

I tend to take reviews with a grain of salt, a lot of people do seem naturally inclined to focus on the bad more than the good, not to mention say something is "bad" because they're already comparing it to something else that it was just never intended to be. However, if the overall impression there is correct, that's pretty disappointing. Impressive graphics are nice and all but not worth buying game over.

7. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Same here. The crew just seems to offer the same and so much more. I initially favored this game just for the graphics alone but after some time of watching both, the mechanics of the crew seemed more and more interesting while this one just seemed more and more bland to me.

8. Qarnage

Qarnage Member

Since I will be getting PS+ I'm just going to check it out myself. Normally I'd put more value into the negative reviews but for this game I can try it out myself anyway. I think part of the reason the game might be badly received is because it was supposed to be a launch title, which would probably make the quality compared to other games that are released at this moment much worse.

9. GlacialDoom

GlacialDoom Member

Of course it'll get mixed reviews, everyone has different tastes and opinions. That's why I don't really care about reviews when buying a game, as I've had surprises with buying a critically acclaimed game just to discover it sucks and vice-versa.

10. mauricioq

mauricioq Member

I agree. Seems like a very generic racing game. Sure the graphics are pretty good, but for me that's not the most important, for me it's the gameplay, and games are losing originality nowadays to graphics.

troutski likes this.
  11. troutski

troutski Active Member

I keep giving the game a shot every couple days, and it's still not getting any better. I can deal with certain lackluster areas in the game, but there's a lot that needs to be ironed out. A patch could absolutely make the game better, though. It'd be acceptable with the right patch, but I doubt that's coming.

12. Squigly

Squigly Active Member

At least some new games are trying to introduce new elements. I think that the Crew has tried to add much more multiplayer elements and open world concepts to rival GTA. Driveclub on the other hand just offers hardly anything new. It's no contest really, among these 2 games The Crew is superior despite all its flaws.

13. Qarnage

Qarnage Member

I'd have to disagree with your point of view. Reviews can actually be very useful if you don't look at the score but rather at the arguments they make. if you're only going to look at the rating then yes, reviews are useless, but if you look at them objectively there are definitely points that are made that can affect your decision.

14. RadialPerson

RadialPerson Member

To be honest from what I've seen of the game play I'd have to agree with the reviewers. There's nothing really new in the game and it's lacking a decent car selection. It feels like this game is basically like Ryse on the Xbox One, a pretty game with poor features and gameplay, pretty obvious they set their sights on making the game look as good as possible while not paying much attention to the other key elements that make a racing game like this good, the AI and the handling of the cars.

15. Rob

Rob New Member

All games are going to get mixed reviews so don't let the negative ones discourage you from getting or playing it. Maybe the best thing to do would probably be to try and play the demo version and then see what you think of the game from there.

16. AmenoKaji

AmenoKaji Member

I had seen some live streaming of drive club and it seemed like it was a dated racing game. It didn't seem very well polished and it seemed kind of stale, i'm not sure if it would be worth investing in it or not but i'm waiting for one of my friends to get it before I throw money down on it.

17. WAVWirmer

WAVWirmer Member

I feel bad for all gamers this generation (Myself included of course). This gen has been all about delays and cancellations, Resolution and frame rate problems etc. Although I agree with a delay if a game is not ready, and the devs need more time to make the game work properly, no one wants to buy a broken game. Like this game I feel its still needed more time they should of done a better job at stress testing the servers. The crippling connection problems that hit this online multi-player focused game is the main reason a lot of the reviews were so low. Imagine buying a game they was sold to you on the idea that you would be racing in a connected world with friends and rivals to race and chalange. But when you get home you cant do any of that because you cant connects. Luckily last gen made patching things possible so hopefully they can fix the game and upgrade the infrastructure and gamers will be able to play it.

18. Squigly

Squigly Active Member

Most of my friends and I have agreed to buy The Crew instead. From the looks of things it's simply the better game, hands down.

19. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Member

Speaking as someone that's purchased this game, I have a hard time seeing what the reviewers problem with the game is.

I never thought I would agree with the people at GAF, but for once I do. It's as if the reviewers were literally trying to find things wrong. The online should have been fixed before release, but aside from that, there's nothing wrong with this game. Within the past 9 years especially, I've found myself liking games that reviewers try to deem bad.

Unfortunately though, we live in an age where the customers take reviewers word as the end-all, be-all. So if companies aren't "gifting" reviewers with things, they more than likely won't get favorable reviews.

All the more reason I go with my own personal opinion by playing games beforehand.

20. WAVWirmer

WAVWirmer Member

As time goes by im beginning to here better and better things about this game. Its a shame that such a small problem tarnished this games rep. I hope evolution studios can bounce back from this. They and sony have to really make it up to playstation plus subs that were lied to and let down. Myself included.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014