Does This Game Makes You Mad?

Discussion in 'Mario Kart' started by TheViper, Sep 7, 2015.

1. TheViper

TheViper Member

I know that this game tends to make me extremely angry at times. The times it makes me angry is when I am winning or simply playing good. Then all of a sudden everyone seems to target me and I am knocked all the way back into 10th place. Then there are the times where I am in first place and I get hit with a blue shell. When has this game made you angry?

2. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

This happens to me too and it does get very frustrating. I've also looked around and it seems like many people hate it when this happens too. It really Does make me mad for a while even though I know it's just a game lol.

3. teabwoi

teabwoi Member

I know the feeling. To me though I think that is what makes the game good for me. If the game starts to get too easy for me then I get bored with it really quickly and not play it any longer. For the game to stay fresh for me then I need to be challenged.

Most of the time when this happens to me I always end up coming back even though I may lose a few races. I like when it happens because it gives me a challenge.

4. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

Nah, not really. Mario Kart is the only game where I have fun even when I finish in the last place. It's all about the racing, if I win or not it doesn't matter - at least I'm having fun playing! :)

5. troutski

troutski Active Member

OP doesn't seem to understand one of the core mechanics of Mario Kart. You're at a distinct disadvantage being in first place if you're playing against decent players. The game gives them better items to target the person in first place compared to if you were in a lower place.

6. troutski

troutski Active Member

I'm assuming everyone is aware of that fact.

7. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Very true. I think this is what Nintendo intended in the first place since they mostly focus on party games that you can enjoy whether you win or lose.

8. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

Definitely, sadly their console isn't doing too hot at the moment (the marketing is really, really poor and I don't think people from Europe know about its existence). It has a lot of downsides, but the device is good.

9. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

From what I heard it seems like the people in charge at Nintendo Japan are a bit out of touch with the modern environment when it comes to promotions so I'm not surprised that they are making a few key mistakes with a lot of things concerning their consoles. Hopefully they do better on the next one.

10. RamZor

RamZor Member

I usually take the game not that serious to avoid being salty. Unfortunately I'm way too competitive and I do get mad from time to time.

11. spectre456

spectre456 Member

If I played it to win it would definitely make me angry. Mario Kart is one of those games that I play simply to have fun though. It's way too chaotic to try to be first all the time without getting frustrated.

12. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Very true. I think that is the nature of most Nintendo party games, they are just made for fun and not too heavy on the competition although they do still lend themselves well for. Competitive atmosphere.

13. spectre456

spectre456 Member

Oh yeah they can definitely be competitive if you want to play them that well. The problem is that if I get in that mindset I get way too angry and it's no longer fun for anyone.

14. Squigly

Squigly Active Member

Annoyed, maybe. But if you get mad over such a party game I think it's time you reevaluate why you're playing games. Don't take it too seriously, just have fun!

Wubwub likes this.
  15. rz3300

rz3300 Member

When it comes to any Mario Kart game I am usually pretty okay with losing and having some ridiculous things happen to me along the way. It is frustrating, for sure, but in that weird kind of way where you know that it doesn't matter. I have always loved the games though, so no amount of crazy things could keep me from playing.

16. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Agreed, although I'd go even further and say that annoyed may already be taking it too far lol. Frustrated would be the more acceptable emotion I would say.

17. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Member

This is one of those things that, I think, adds to MK's appeal. It is INCREDIBLY frustrating to be smacked out of nowhere with a race-ruining item, but at the same time I find it drives me to want to win even more. Plus the game becomes more strategized, in a way--item collection and management becomes just as important as racing skill.

18. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

The beauty of racing games is that you can do everything right 99% of the game, and one mistake on the last lap can land you down to the last place in the race. That's the fun part though, not being so overconfident with the lead that you will let your guard down. It's outwitting your opponent to make sure you get to be the first one to that finish line, no matter what happens. It's really fun seeing someone rage as they get blue shells during the last lap near the finish line, and end up even falling off the map and ending up at 8th place.