Does GTA V mark the decline of open world games?

Discussion in 'GTA V General Discussion' started by troutski, Oct 18, 2014.

1. troutski

troutski Active Member

I don't think so myself, but you have to consider GTA V one of the higher points for open world games. It's got beautiful graphics, tons of features, a gigantic map, and a lot of multiplayer fun. Even if you include fantasy open world games (Fallout, Elder Scrolls), how much higher could the genre actually go? As far as NEW developments, open world games could easily fail to surpass GTA V. Just a thought.

2. SlickBlasianYT

SlickBlasianYT New Member

GTA 4 surpasses GTA 5 when it comes to atmosphere. Look at Sleeping Dogs and Saints Row 2. Three different games but both excel in different ways. If I could get a HD remake of Saints Row 2. I'd say goodbye to GTA 5. Gta 5 has a lack of interiors and atmosphere. It's also too linear in my opinion. I'm never on buildings or in places making my own story. I just kill, and that sucks.

3. RadialPerson

RadialPerson Member

I think open world games have a lot of room for improvement, especially when it comes to entering buildings and certain areas. GTA V is easily the best open world game especially when compared to other similar games, GTA does nearly everything better. I think the biggest issue is just development time, generally I find that most good open world games take a long time to make and most developers probably realize they won't have the mass market appeal of GTA and so settle for less and make games that are just good enough.

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

I don't think it marks the decline of open world games. I think it's a high point and a benchmark for open world games. The bar has been raised, so other developers will have to work harder to surpass it.

1 person likes this.
  5. duckvader

duckvader New Member

Agree with this. Also not all open world games carry the same content, themes, look of GTAV. So it's not fair to judge all open worlds games that unless the game is meant to be like GTA (Watch Dogs is an example). In terms of scope yes, it is massive, if that is what you meant then yeah it is tough to beat.

6. cabrannon529

cabrannon529 New Member

GTA V is the gold standard for open world games right now. I believe it would be tough to beat in terms of features and functionality, and pure fun, I think it can be surpassed. It already has been - Rockstar continues pushing out updates to GTA V Online every so often, which has drastically improved upon the original GTA V Online gamplay. I believe only Rockstar could make an open world game greater than GTA V - and that's going to be GTA VI, whenever it comes out.

Until then, I doubt anything will surpass GTA V.

7. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

Well I don't think Rockstar are going to go backwards here. They've already proven that they can make a great open-world game so it's only a matter of time until we're going to see new additions!

8. Cyrus

Cyrus New Member

I think that it's more than a little silly to say something like that. Video games are currently, and will continue to be, extremely popular. It's still a relatively young industry, and I find it ridiculous to say that such a popular genre has "peaked" or burned itself out already. The video game industry, year by year, is trumping itself, and innovating. Ten years ago, you could've pitched someone the idea of GTA V, what if they said something like, "Oh, no, no, no. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas is an amazing game! Have you seen it? There's no way that anyone could possibly top this game. This is the peak of the genre!"

The video game industry, and science and technology in general, is evolving quite rapidly and there haven't really been any signs of that evolution slowing down.

9. Jeff Bowles

Jeff Bowles New Member

The thing I'm seeing more and more, like for instance in Witcher 3, is a trend towards tying multiple open worlds into a single, almost seamless experience. So every time you want to transition to a new area, which is in fact its own open world, you've got to get past a loading screen, but once its over, you're in a totally different place and the experience becomes massive. I also see it in Elder Scrolls Online. ESO is more or less the entirety of Tamriel stuffed into a single package. Now can you imagine that kind of process and technology streamlined enough to reduce load times to zero? You could literally have a GTA that took place in the entire United States. That'd be pretty damn cool, man. :)

10. duckvader

duckvader New Member

I dream of having a GTA game that incorporates Liberty City, Vice City, and San Andreas together. Alot of people would find that overwhelming but to me the sky is the limit for a game series like this.

11. MrAmazingMan1

MrAmazingMan1 New Member

Well of course not! I think that fallout 4 will take what GTA 5 a lot farther in terms of dynamic effects and such in an open world!

12. primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974 Member

At first I thought you were saying that the game was bad, but I see what you mean. The development of this game took four years. I agree that the next step can't be much better. I don't think a larger map is feasible, but being able to do things you could not do in V is likely. Maybe there will be nuclear bombs that can actually harm the environment? That would be something. Not many games have truly changeable environs.

13. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I think GTA V will do the exact opposite and it shows just how far open world games can go. I'd hope that GTA V can now be the benchmark, and game developers can look at that as an example of what people will expect from a game from now on.

14. Susime

Susime Active Member

I don't think GTA V marks the decline. I more think it marks as a point to surpass for other developers doing open-world sandbox style games, and of-course the GTA team.

Unless developers start getting really sloppy and only punching out games to get the money, then I can't see open world games declining any time soon.

15. JusApee

JusApee New Member

GTA V is not a mark of decline, but of evolution. Next generation open-world games shouldn't be like it, but better. Like someone above said, you lack insides in GTA V. A true open-world should let us really almost anywhere we'd like and do whatever we'd like (and if we were to add a little complexity to the game, let what we do influence the storyline in some way). As an example, in GTA V, as Trevor, I killed Michael's daughter. Nothing happened. See? This should have had an influence in the storyline, yet it didn't. Hope future games will.

16. spectre456

spectre456 Member

I don't see why it would. It's a great game that many people consider the best sandbox experience. Obviously it's not perfect, but it's going in the right direction.

17. deltarai

deltarai New Member

I really think it marks a new beginning, rather than a decline. Games are always going to get bigger in scope as technology advances. What I would like to see is more innovation in terms of AI, and how the game world/story responds to the player's choices, rather than simply bigger areas.