Do you use a gaming steering wheel?

Discussion in 'Sim Racing' started by Ghost Rider, Oct 13, 2013.

1. kaitheteen

kaitheteen Member

I've only ever used a gaming steering wheel in Mario Kart, and that's because it's more fun that way. It just makes the game a lot easier for me to control, because the normal tilt is already so hard to get use to.

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

I used to have one for original Xbox, but I eventually traded it in. My daughter has one for the Wii, but that's it. We haven't really felt the need to use gaming steering wheels. You can still play racing games with a standard controller.

3. burtpovski

burtpovski Member

I think I had a gaming steering wheel, but it was a second hand one. Not sure if I threw it out or not, but I don't have it anymore. It was way too broken to use.

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

My daughter doesn't even always use her Wii steering wheel. I just don't know if it's necessary to use a gaming steering wheel. Though it looks fun, I'd rather used a controller that's versatile for all game genres.

5. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I think Mario Kart would be a little bit easier to control with a steering wheel and I'm guessing that it does make it more fun. Other games, I think, are just way too realistic so the controls are a bit too sensitive and this a bit harder to control using a wheel, or at least a lot harder to get used to.

6. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

Is it really beneficial? Now, I'm trying to think if I want another wheel again. I just don't want to waste money on something if it isn't going to add to the experience.

7. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I've never used one but I'm imagine it's much easier than a more realistic racing game since you wouldn't need to use drift as much. I personally would still rather just use the controller but I think the wheel also has some novelty to it.

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

I suppose. Still, I think I'm going to keep my money and continue with my standard controller. Bills to pay, you know? I do see why someone would want a steering wheel controller, though.

9. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I feel the same way. Controllers are good enough and probably even better so I don't mind not having a wheel. To they are more just for novelty and I probably won't use them that much anyway even if I did have one, so I don't think paying that much extra just for a bit of extra charm is very practical.

10. Larrel94

Larrel94 Member

I used to, way back when I had a a PS2. I loved using it with ATV Off-road Fury and Gran Turismo 3. I should probably go pick one up soon since I plan on seriously playing iRacing.

11. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

I agree with that. Plus, I'm sure that some people just bought them so they can say that they have them. I don't think that's a valid reason at all.

12. spectre456

spectre456 Member

I would love to use a steering wheel to play racing games, but the fact is that they're usually too expensive to justify the price. Going to the arcades and the makeshift steering wheel the Wii has for playing Mario Kart are the only ways I have played using a steering wheel.

13. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

Yeah, they do seem a bit pricey. Just for something that will only be used in certain games. Then again, you could say the same for the Guitar Hero controllers and the Dance Dance Revolution pads, but those games literally need those controllers. Otherwise, it's a whole different experience.

14. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Yup,I've only mostly seen these in the households of friends who are either well off or a bit loose with money, and even then they are mostly seldom used. Not that I'm saying they are a waste of money, but I think the only ones who would get the most use out of them are gamers who really obsess on racing games over other genres

15. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

Yeah, and my favorite genres are fighting games and RPGs, so that's not quite my department. Still, good for those who love those kind of games. If I'm getting a specialized gaming controller, I guess it would be those arcade fighting sticks, since I love fighting games so much.

16. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Same here! And now that you've mentioned it, I have actually been meaning to get a controller that I can use especially for fighting games. Not really a fighting stick pad though because I'm not used to those at all. I was thinking of getting a standard gaming controller with mostly face buttons instead of up top, similar to Sega controllers. I think some company is still making those now but I heard that none of them could still make the direction buttons as good as Sega's.

17. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

Ah, I see. Yeah, I miss the SEGA consoles. The Dreamcast got annihilated by the PS2, though. It's really a shame. Anyway, yeah, I always liked the SEGA controllers, so I see what you mean.

18. edthebig

edthebig Member

I don't. I want to though. But I think they are very expensive and I can't afford them.

19. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

I agree. I think they cost more than they're worth. You're paying more for the novelty than for functionality. Still, if you want it, get it when you can.

20. Alabamagrl187

Alabamagrl187 New Member

We have one that we use sometimes that my husband bought for me because he thought it would help me play the racing games better because I was over correcting with the stick on the controller but I still play with the controller sometimes.