Do you think Vice City had a large enough map?

Discussion in 'GTA Vice City' started by Hedonologist, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Hedonologist

Hedonologist New Member

When I used to play Vice city I was certainly satisfied with the size of the city, but since playing both San Andreas and GTA V it seems a little disappointing now when going back. I mean there were more islands for sure, but they were quite small themselves, such as starfish and the golfing island.

2. lord1027

lord1027 New Member

I think it was big enough. Sure, it wasn't as big as San Andreas but at that time there was no San Andreas to compare it to. I remember the hours played on Vice City, I could never get bored. I didn't really explore the whole map, I was spending most of the time on the beach.

3. WorkingGamer

WorkingGamer New Member

For the time it was created I think it was plenty big enough and while I kind of hate the backwards controls on the Steam but still enjoy just messing around in the map.

4. LALucien

LALucien New Member

No... No it is not!
    After San Andreas, which was actually huge, I am disappointed with the size of the GTA 5 map. It isn't small but honestly, it isn't anywhere near as big as it was hyped up to be in my opinion.

5. ENO1986

ENO1986 New Member

I agree GTA V should not even be in this conversation since it's a way newer title.

6. charlesfrench

charlesfrench New Member

Although the Vice City map wasn't the biggest it was very well done. The map is in-depth and high in quality. The programmers and designers really did a great job on the map and layout and I love playing the game to this day.

7. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Member

It may not have been HUGE but it was high in quality and that made the size bareable. It was a technical acheivment just like it's sequel San Andreas was. Vice City is a pretty awesome setting though.

8. gats

gats Member

It was definitely an upgrade from the size of GTA III. Each game seems to be raising the bar with the content.

9. daimashin

daimashin New Member

It was enough for that era mainly because we never experienced something as big as Vice City on the PS2. By today's standards, Vice City would have been considered small and insufficient. Even though it's small for now, it has enough contents for its size and that's all it matters.

10. ENO1986

ENO1986 New Member

I remember playing through the game for the 1st time it felt like the right size to me their was no areas that looked alike I don't remember encountering any lag or stuff like that.

11. Hiderow

Hiderow New Member

I actually prefer the smaller map size of Vice City over the ones of the newer games. Everything in Vice City felt unique and I always knew where to go without a map. In San Andreas I always got lost in the cities, especially Los Santos, even after countless hours of playing.

12. unitedfandoc

unitedfandoc New Member

I don't think it did to be honest. The two large islands were fine but I thought they could've made Starfish Island and Prawn Island much larger. Despite the smaller map, Vice City is still my favorite game in the series.

13. Valentino

Valentino New Member

It might seem small now in comparison but at the time I was happy with it and I still love the map when I go back to the game. Some kind of expansion of it would be nice if it returned in a later game or something, but it was still great in VC.

14. Nealbo

Nealbo New Member

Compared to the newer games, I guess it appears small but at the time it was probably the most vast gaming world available. I can actually remember being amazed at how large it was compared to GTA3. In years time, GTAV will probably seem small compared to the games of the time.

15. Jordanoyo

Jordanoyo New Member

I remember when Vice City game out I thought the map was really big and great to explore. When I recently went back to it I noticed it was smaller, but it was still a big map. So it's fine for me.

16. ENO1986

ENO1986 New Member

At that time I thought the map was more then big enough any bigger and that means more driving around and sometimes that can get boring and tedious.

17. dinomarino1

dinomarino1 Member

i do not think you need a big map in order to have a good map. vice city is a prime example. It was fun to fly around in vice cities streets. looking back there really wasnt much to do except kill people and run from cops. now you have huge maps and its boring as shit

18. Jordanoyo

Jordanoyo New Member

I wouldn't say a bigger map is worse, but it doesn't make it better. Some games that you play now a days have huge maps but there's nothing to do in the maps. Vice City has a good solid map and it was fun.

19. Hedonologist

Hedonologist New Member

I suppose vice city was very dense and there was lots to do given it's relatively small size. There was also the added advantage of being able to enter some of the buildings for the first time. Again not as many as San Andreas but certainly an upgrade from GTA III.

20. dannyboy

dannyboy Member

Yeah i have noticed that the maps have gotten better with each game and they have gotten easier to follow.