Do you think racing games will die out in the near future?

Discussion in 'Sim Racing' started by FuZyOn, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Sparkster

Sparkster Member

No, I don't think racing games will ever die out. They will always be popular. If you look back to how racing games were in the first decade of home computing and look at them now and compare them to see how racing games (and games in general) have evolved since then, the difference is really quite astounding. Racing games will only get better, not just in graphics, sound and realism but also in gameplay by having extra features combined to allow for extra playability.

2. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I agree. I think it's a genre that has room to grow because there are still a lot of uncharted features and environments. I just hope that more arcade type racers come out in the future so there will be more fun features to complement the many realistic racers that are coming out.

3. Darius

Darius Member

I don't think they'll die out but I do feel certain genres of racing games will with EA's total flop with the new need for speed. Forza is a great series but the drawback is that it doesn't fit the niche NFS does and no other games have tried to fill that niche since everyone is in a graphics and realism race at the moment.

4. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

You're right. I think certain titles will eventually die out in the future as older titles get less and less attention from new players that have never heard of it.

5. Darius

Darius Member

Yeah. With the fans abandoning the last few need for speed games I feel like that genre of racing will die out with no games to fill it as all we'll be left with are the exclusives, (which are fun but i digress) Mario kart, The ones that have their own niche (TM, Dirt, GRID) and the indie games appealing to the graphics race audience.

6. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

It does seem like the games with a bit more personality are getting less and less attention. I think it's partly because developers have had a bit of trouble translating their previous success onto newer consoles at the cost of better graphics and more bells and whistles. Burnout and NFS are some of the more innovative racing game titles of the past that have seemingly been dying down with the modern audience and having played the previous new versions I can see why.

7. Denis Hard

Denis Hard Member

I'm almost sure that even if game developers feel that making certain racing games isn't as profitable as it was and opt to stop making such games, thanks to crowdfunding, indie developers could still reboot the games and keep them alive. This is another reason why racing games never will die out. Those who love them will do whatever it takes to keep them around.

8. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I don't think I've ever played an indie racing game before, but hopefully they are as good as the products that big companies make. I think indie developers could probably be the best place for more experimentation and innovation and rightfully so because they probably can't afford to license real cars among many other gimmicks that AAA games have.

9. Darius

Darius Member

One of the problems with indie games is physics and liscensing. Two biggest problems IMO because they may have many engines that can be easily used for graphics but their physics end up trash with a bunch of vague cars that look like real cars but don't have the licensing to use the actual vehicle.

10. Susime

Susime Active Member

That always leaves a sour taste in my mouth, getting cars that look like their real-life counterparts but names different due to licensing. Same goes for tracks. It just takes a lot of the magic away.

Unfortunately a lot of companies who manage to get hold of a license hoard it and don't allow other companies to gain access to it.

11. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

Yeah, that kind of reminds me of FIFA. I would really love to give PES a go but because of licensing issues the game feels really bleak, while FIFA has most of the licenses and the better online mode.

12. GenevB

GenevB Member

Probably not, racing games have yet to show their true potential. I'm thinking that after the release of virtual reality simulating devices, racing games will gain more popularity than ever.

13. Squigly

Squigly Active Member

I certainly hope not! Racing games might not be as popular a genre as FPS or MOBA, but I think that the speed addicts in us will always make it a relevant game genre.

14. wallcat

wallcat New Member

I don't think genres really die out or anything as there will always be die-hard fans to keep it alive, but what's currently popular can change. A while back everyone was saying that space strategy games and point and click adventures were dying out, but now I see a new one almost every time I check Steam. They also said that about survival horror, but then Amnesia made the vulnerable protagonist popular again.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  15. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I never ought about this before but I suppose you are right and it's probably why so many of the generic or filler racing games tend to look and feel alike. Whenever I get to play any of these games I just end up feeling bored and I never could pinpoint the reason why but I guess this is a big part of it.

16. hafiz93

hafiz93 Member

I don't think so. Is racing game the most demanding genre in the market right now? Probably not but there will always be a large audience that will play them. Also, racing game is probably among the most common gaming genre out there, so it's very unlikely that they will die out soon.

17. erook7878

erook7878 Active Member

There will always be a market for racing games. Racing and any type of activity where the first person to complete something is the winner is ingrained into us as humans. And of course, driving games are just pure fun. They are one of the most fun games you can play. I don't see Grand Turismo or Need for Speed ending development anytime soon.

18. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Agreed. I think it's just like sports games where its existence is almost necessary since they don't require much innovation anymore and you could just keep making new ones every year with updated graphics and a few minor adjustments. It's too profitable and practical to die out.

spence88 likes this.
  19. spence88

spence88 Member

You mean developers will stop creating games? No, I don't think so.
    As for the gameplay, sure, it can get boring, if you're playing single player. But that's not the strongest aspect of racing games. It's the multiplayer. The multiplayer mode is the metagame of racing and as you well know metagames take quite a while to die out. Multiplayer is highly competitive and fun. I still play old racing games with my friends today.

20. rajesh1209

rajesh1209 Member

Not at all. I don't think that the racing games will every die out. In my opinion, it's impossible. There may be some ups and downs over the years but it will not fade out completely. Almost every gamer like the 'Racing' genre. Driving a car in the racing game feels like driving a real car. If you have a luxury car collection in a particular game, it feels like a real collection (at least for me). By the way, my favorite genre is 'Racing'. ;);)