Do you prefer more realistic games (a la Gran Turismo), or more arcadey games (a la Burnout 3/4)?

Discussion in 'Sim Racing' started by zambothegreat, Oct 12, 2013.

1. zambothegreat

zambothegreat Member

Games like Burnout: Paradise City and Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (2010 one) strike a good balance between the two, and I think that's ideal. But which type of game do you prefer?

2. davis

davis Active Member

Why not both? I like having options.

3. zambothegreat

zambothegreat Member

I kind of said that in the OP... Which extreme do you prefer is the question.

4. Racer X

Racer X Member

Man, there's just no denying that the arcade-y style racing games are FUN. Less bound by the rules of realistic(or at least semi-realistic) mechanics, the action is a little crazier and the controls/speeds are looser.. The Burnout type of game looks and plays a little more spectacularly to me. Like Need For Speed.. the nos button > all. GT has it's appeal but I'ma have to go with the arcade style.

5. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitect Member

Never liked the realistic games all that much and while I think the balanced ones are the games that are most entertaining, I don't really mind the arcadey ones. Its nice to just let go and embrace the ridiculousness once in a while.

6. Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider Member

To be honest, I played more Burnout games on the PS2 than Gran Turismo 4. But on the PS3, I played a lot of Gran Turismo 5. It looked so good. There were a lot of cars. I loved customizing them. The tracks were so beautiful. There was even a pretty cool track editor. Which do I prefer? Both of course. :rolleyes:

7. aleks4775

aleks4775 Member

Hands down, Burnout. The takedown option is amazing! I don't understand why other racing games haven't implemented it. So much more fun then simply dully driving form point A to point B.

8. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I agree that a good combination of both is the best, at least for me. I don't really like the realistic racing games, and the cartoon-y ones are just too silly for me to want to spend too much time on like Crazy Taxi. I also prefer the Need For Speed and Burnout series and I like them specially because they are games that don't take themselves too seriously, without becoming too silly in the process.

9. wowtgp

wowtgp Member

Why not both? I like a good balance between these two things. Some acrcady nature is necessary to make the game fun and not dull to play. A realistic sim like Richards Burn rally is not my thing to be honest with you. I love titles like Forza ad GT though.

10. phatboi

phatboi New Member

I'd say why not both?

but to call Gran Turismo a realistic racing game is ludicrous... Real realistic racing games are stuff like iRacing, rFactor or GTR etc....

11. Rocketman

Rocketman Member

They both have their moments but at the end of the day, I think I have more fun with arcade racers. I have friends who are car enthusiasts who definitely enjoy the simulations more, but for the rest of us regular gamers, I think arcade racers are still just a bit more accessible.

12. Solar

Solar Member

I dislike sims like Forza and Gran Turismo, all about the arcadey action for me.

13. zambothegreat

zambothegreat Member

It's not ludicrous to call GT a realistic racing game, especially in comparison to most other console racing games.

14. nicky

nicky New Member

I think that the combination of gran turismo, burnout and need for speed would make one hell of a game. I would buy it!

15. Timeisrelative

Timeisrelative New Member

I like both. I play the arcade games when I'm just looking to chill and have a good time. I hook up the more serious racing games when I feel competitive and want to breaks some records!

16. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Member

I prefer more realistic games but I can go for an arcade racer when I'm in the mood though.

17. rossonomous

rossonomous Member

I prefer arcadey.

When I want realism I will just get into my car and go for a drive! Games are for escapism with me and that means not overly realistic.

18. msreebaybay

msreebaybay Member

I kind of like arcadey as well. I mean realistic games some times are not that fun. Games that focus on the arcade factor are usually more fun than games that try to be too realistic. I am going with arcadey on this one.

19. Shylax

Shylax New Member

It just depends on how I feel. I prefer the more realistic ones like Gran Turismo, because it allows me to get as close to driving many cars I'll never be able to drive in real life as I can, but games like Mario Kart are also fun because there's less pressure to be a skilled driver with catch-up mechanisms, and there are games like Motorstorm that are realistic but the ability to crash and cause damage and replay wrecks is very fun, even if you're not doing well you can still laugh at yourself.

20. nickjt

nickjt Member

If I had to pick one I would go for the more arcadey games. These tend to be more fun that the simulator games and have more variety as they have different kinds of races available. Games like Gran Turismo can get a bit stale and repetitive I find.