Do you play Sonic?

Discussion in 'Sim Racing' started by Poynt, Jan 10, 2014.

1. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

Then you must have played the Sonic Advance series or Sonic Battle. I think you missed out, though. Those aren't even Sonic's best games. Oh, well. To each their own.

2. spectre456

spectre456 Member

I used to play Sonic Adventure Battle back in the Gamecube games and it was tons of fun to race against my friends. It had a limited amount of races and it had other game modes as well, but it was great.

A few months ago I got Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed, and it's one of the best kart games I have played, second only to Mario Kart. I got it for the Vita though, and the online is pretty much dead there, which is sad.

3. JessiFox

JessiFox Member

I haven't played Sonic, no, I don't have the right consoles for it. Wasn't really aware there was a racing component, either..

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

How do you mean? Many Sonic games are for more than one platforms. If you're a PC gamer, there are also emulators you could use.

5. edthebig

edthebig Member

I don't no. I used to play it a lot as a kid on my game boy advanced it was really fun, but not anymore no. I actually think I would like to play it like once a year though.

6. Solar

Solar Member

I never really considered Sonic to be a racing game, but I really like it. My favorite is Generations, though it was sadly very short. It's the perfect Sonic game.

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

Oh, Sonic Generations was a great tribute to the 21 year anniversary of the Sonic series. It's one of my favorites as well. Nevertheless, when they say "racing game", they mean the Sonic Riders series, the Sonic & SEGA All-Stars racing games, the Sonic Rival games, Sonic Drift, Sonic R, and the varrious multiplayer races in the Sonic games, like Sonic Adventure 2 Battle and Sonic Heroes.

8. Solar

Solar Member

Sonic Generations was a fantastic make-up anniversay gift after the mess that was 2006 and I actually wish they had milked it with DLC since the one issue with the game was that it needed more content, IMO.

Anyway, I see what OP might mean now. I didn't like Sonic Riders much and Sonic Rival felt very slow for a Sonic game but Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing are excellent.

I wish Transformed had kept all of the characters from the original game because some of the omissions are very jarring considering some of the new characters (that stupid Mee Mee is just a pink Ai Ai, damnit). Still, despite the roster oddities, the game is a lot of fun. I love both games because they feel extremely fast and there's less reliance on items (*cough*blueshell*cough*) than in Mario Kart. I actually like them more than Mario Kart, I hope they make a third game sometime.

9. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

Oh, Sonic '06 was definitely questionable in quality. Still, when I got for my daughter in 2009 for her birthday, she was really happy. She still liked the game and didn't seem to encounter nearly as many glitches as everyone was complaining about. So long as she was, happy, I was happy for her. She even got a couple of her friends to play the multiplayer mode with her and they didn't seem all that annoyed either. That might have been some birthday luck for her to have a copy that wasn't as problematic as everyone else's.

10. crazyman1090

crazyman1090 Member

Sonic has never really caught my eye. I have only tried Sonic once, and it didn't appeal to me all that much, even though there is a massive fanbase for it.

11. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

Ah, really? Not at all? So be it, I guess. If it's not to your taste, then that's fine. My daughter and I love Sonic, though.

12. Colebra

Colebra Member

I never tried those Sonic racing games, but they seem really fun.
    The half-pipe bonus level on the classic Sonic game, was always the best part, so I'm glad they went with the racing genre.

Is there a Sonic racing game for PS4?

13. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

Oh, the bonus levels on Sonic 2. Yeah, those are fun. Especially, while seeing Tails trail behind Sonic, trying to keep up. Yes, there is a racing game for the PS4, I think. Well, you might have to look it up to confirm it. Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing: Transformed, I believe, is on the next gen consoles.

14. Qarnage

Qarnage Member

I played all of the 3D sonic games that were released for the pc, they were all really fun even though some of them got bad reviews (which I wholeheartedly disagree with). The 2D sonic games were fun but I never really got the hang of them. I also tried the racing game for the PS Vita but I did not like it too much. I played it for about an hour and got bored, perhaps I might check it out if you guys find it any fun?

15. GlacialDoom

GlacialDoom Member

Since I was a child and I played Sonic 3 and Knuckles at a friends, then got the Sonic & Knucles CD ROM collection on PC, I've been a huge Sonic fan, with Sonic Adventure DX being the peak of fandom for me. That game had some really fun levels despite the broken mechanics and lousy story (which, by the way, I only noticed after replaying it 10 years later). The Chao garden was a HUUUGE time sink too, I guess I spent upwards of a hundred hours in it.

I feel that Sonic Generations is the best Sonic game so far, because it pays homage to all the major Sonic titles before it and because it brings some new mechanics and a lot of content.

16. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

Ah, yes. The chaos garden on Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 are addictive. You want to devote your time to taking care of your chaos and seeing if you can get them to evolve. I do have to agree that Sonic Generations was just an amazing tribute to the Sonic series as a whole. Sonic Colors was a really good game as well.

17. Squigly

Squigly Active Member

Are you talking about Sonic: All Stars Racing? It's a pretty fun arcade racing game, but overall it feels like a rip-off of Mario Kart.

18. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

They mean the Sonic racing games in general. Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing (the first one and Transformed), the Sonic Riders series, Sonic R, Sonic Drift, and the various multiplayer races in Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic Heroes, and other Sonic games. So they mean racing, in general, in the Sonic games.

19. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

I actually like the racing in the Sonic games. Sonic Adventure 2 has such awesome multiplayer racing. My daughter and I love being either Sonic or Shadow. As for an actual Sonic racing game, the Sonic Riders series is pretty cool. I kind of have a love-hate relationship with those characters, The Babylon Rogues.

20. SonicSlayer

SonicSlayer Member

I love Sonic! I used to play the games from when I was small and so nostalgia is also a factor in my love for the little guy. I am currently playing Sonic Generations, and plan to play Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing Transformed soon.