Do you play solo or with friends?

Discussion in 'Mario Kart' started by Ghost Rider, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider Member

Mario Kart could be played solo or with friends. The first time that I played Mario kart 8, I was at a friend's house and we played some fun rounds. Now that I got the game for myself, my play with friends has decreased. What about you? Do you often play with friends or do you go solo?

2. Askani

Askani Member

I play by myself to set records and such and then beat my times. Really it is more enjoyable for me with a group of friends. We can talk smack to one another and mess with each others heads which can get hilarious.

3. KNH

KNH Member

It depends. I like to set records when playing by myself but also like to give my friends crap when we play together, lol. I guess it depends on the day for me.

4. wulfman

wulfman Member

I am pretty competitive so I like playing racing games especially with friends.

5. jurew2

jurew2 Member

I sometimes play the game solo when I'm home alone or when I'm bored at home. But usually I play the game with my friends, because there is a lot more fun playing a game with friends and Mario Kart 8 is not an exception to that rule of my.

6. joebel

joebel New Member

With friends is always the most fun. Though solo is pretty fun when they're not online.

7. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I usually prefer playing other racing games on my own because it doesn't feel too sensible to me to play with friends because when someone is ahead then it tends to feel like you are playing alone anyway. With games like this, however, I think it's more enjoyable to play as a group since you could use power ups against people and gain back your advantage.

8. KKrage

KKrage Member

While my friends/family are around, I play with them, it's pretty fun having a competition with each other.
    Although I'm not really good of them, I really enjoy it! So in my spare time I sometimes practise solo AND have fun!

9. RamZor

RamZor Member

I prefer playing the game with friends. If I don't have any friends to play with I still enjoy playing it alone :D

10. JessiFox

JessiFox Member

I have the most fun playing with others...I'm really competitive, too, so that's always interesting ;). I'll play by myself occasionally to set records and stuff but I don't find it as enjoyable.

11. spectre456

spectre456 Member

I think Mario Kart was designed with party play in mind, so I try to get my friends to join in as often as I can. It gets increasingly hard to get people together as time goes on though, so I mostly play online now.

12. Squigly

Squigly Active Member

Playing with friends is much more fun, especially since you can gloat after a win! It's typically more convenient to play solo though, with so many players online hopping into a race with complete strangers at any time is easy.

13. Larrel94

Larrel94 Member

Both, really. Play by myself when I want to unlock plenty of characters and get my three star rating. Play online when I just want to enjoy the game and wreck my opponents online.

14. TheViper

TheViper Member

I primarily play by myself and still can't escape that dang blue shell. Usually, I just play by myself to get the hang of the game. Just so I can beat my friends and throw it in their face.

15. GlacialDoom

GlacialDoom Member

I rarely play this game unless I have some friends over. I really think that the fun is in playing with friends and being mad at them/ having fun with them instead of playing alone with the AI.

16. Gin0710

Gin0710 Member

If I had more friends who wanted to play I'd play with friends for sure. I like to play online with other people though. That's fun and challenging.

17. Strykstar

Strykstar Member

I play with friends all the time, but I still think that the majority of my playing time is playing solo, gotta get all those unlocks :)
    And it's also nice to play alone, if something comes up I can just pause the game easily with no stress.

18. camsdad

camsdad New Member

I mostly play with friends. I find it to be the most enjoyable way to play the game. Me and my buds have a game night every week and this is still one of our faves, and the only racing game we play there. Anti-Gravity took the game to a whole new level, competition gets pretty heated.

19. troutski

troutski Active Member

Mario Kart is one of those games that's terrible to play alone, at least when you compare the experience you get playing with friends. I would never play without at least one other person.

camsdad likes this.
  20. tjmsrubegoldberg

tjmsrubegoldberg New Member

I play pretty much exclusively with friends. Usually when I get a new Mario Kart game, I'll try and push through the single player Grand Prix from 50cc to the Mirror Cup as quickly as I can. This usually lets me unlock most of the stuff that I'll need to play with my friends, which is always the primary reason why I play Mario Kart.

Playing against computers isn't awful, but I prefer to play against real people. When I get "Mario Karted" (i.e. lose a bunch of positions, and generally the entire race as well, due to consecutive cases of bad luck with items), while playing against computers, it's just frustrating and seems like the game is cheating. When that happens online with friends, it's still a bit frustrating, but it's something that happens to everyone and can't be blamed on the game. I also like hearing my friends' reactions when either extremely good or extremely bad luck strikes them.

I think a lot of Nintendo games, Mario Kart especially, are primarily party games in that they're designed to be played with friends more than to be played solo. I've always liked this about the company, since it gives me a sense of nostalgia for the days where my friends and I would all gather at someone's house and sit around the TV and play video games all day.