Do You Play Non-Racing Driving Sim Games?

Discussion in 'Sim Racing' started by Denis Hard, May 1, 2016.

1. Denis Hard

Denis Hard Member

I've heard of their existence but never played any. Truck sims are one example. You drive your truck around some continent making deliveries. The only exciting thing about such a game probably would be the "touring aspect" but it lacks everything else that makes racing games exciting.

Have any of you played such games? Are there any you can recommend?

2. Squigly

Squigly Active Member

Euro Truck Simulator comes to mind. There's also a couple of train simulators on Steam, but their DLC is ridiculous in terms of quantity and pricing (owning all the train model DLCs would set you back a couple thousand dollars!)

3. Norjak71

Norjak71 Member

I've played a few like city driving and truck simulator; however, I never really understood the replay value of it. It's fun for awhile but after a few hours it loses its fun-factor and ill revert back to racing games. The whole fun of racing games is the intensity and the competition, and that is lacking in those type of simulators; however, if you have a strict focus on learning how to drive in a "legal" matter, then I guess I can see the point there.

Denis Hard likes this.
  4. spectre456

spectre456 Member

I've never tried them, but I honestly don't see myself having fun with a game like that. Then again I do enjoy games like Harvest Moon which would be incredibly boring if you think about it, but I have a blast with it anyway.

5. ZXD123

ZXD123 Member

I remember playing Desert Bus if you even count that as a non racing driving simulator lol! Such an old game and it gets boring so fast that its not even funny.

6. erook7878

erook7878 Active Member

I was going to mention the truck driver sim, but I haven't actually played it. There are some similar sims with farm equipment. I never understood the appeal of that. I think I've played some mobile games where you drive a bus and you drive around to different stops to pick up passengers.

7. erook7878

erook7878 Active Member

I would imagine that is similar to the bus game I played. Another game I totally forgot about was crazy taxi. You do race against time, but you aren't racing other cars.

8. Denis Hard

Denis Hard Member

You'd have to actually play the game before you find out if it can be fun. While driving games can be boring, especially when all you have to do is drive somewhere for someone who is trying to learn how to drive, such games can be fun.

For someone like me driving within the speed limit would bore me pretty fast.

9. hafiz93

hafiz93 Member

I've played a truck sim a long while ago, though I just can't remember the name of the game. If I recalled correctly, I didn't really enjoy it. I found it to be quite boring to be honest. I feel like this game is suitable for people with long attention span and is quite patient. Otherwise you're better off with the usual racing games.

10. spectre456

spectre456 Member

I mean yeah, I would have to try them before I find out. Unless I somehow get one of these types of games for free I don't think I'll ever get the chance to try them though.

11. Norjak71

Norjak71 Member

This forum actually made me go out and download city driving which is basically you driving in a standard coupe or something less exciting. I still don't get the appeal to it. It was fun for about five minutes than I shut it off. I figured I'd give it an extra try but it wasn't for me.

12. Denis Hard

Denis Hard Member

You could get a trial version of one of them games. I suppose playing it would give you a feel of the games. You can download a trial version of Euro Truck driver on Softonic. It's only 120 MB so it would be a fast download.

http://euro-truck-simulator.en.softonic.com/

Or the trial version of this other game:

http://scania-truck-driving-simulator.en.softonic.com/

13. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I've always been curious about these games but never got around to giving them a try. Simulator games have gotten very popular in the recent years so I think it's time I joined in on the fun. I'll probably get the trial sometime soon and see for myself how fun these simulator games really are.

14. raceman998

raceman998 Member

May be it's boring but I would like to give it a try.

15. raceman998

raceman998 Member

Have you played any of the stimulator games recently?

16. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Unfortunately no I've mostly only watched clips of them on youtube. My laptop has gotten very slow so I'm playing more on my tablet right now until I get a new one. The most interesting one I've seen that I wnt to try out soon is goat simulator.

17. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

Yes, I do play and they're pretty fun. I'm especially fond of Euro Truck Simulator 2 since it is so vast and has a big modding community on PC, really fun!

18. Susime

Susime Active Member

I've not played any non-racing sim games but I've seen a few I'd like to try out. I've seen one where you have to navigate a truck over really rough and muddy terrain that I would like to try out because it looks pretty decent and complicated.

The Truck simulator series of games also look quite nice and I've seen you can customise your truck in a way which is a feature I quite like.

Denis Hard likes this.
  19. Denis Hard

Denis Hard Member

There are non-racing truck simulation games which also have some sort of story which makes the games more entertaining.

You get some missions to complete. So it's not all about driving your truck to some destination. That would be quite boring.

20. Norjak71

Norjak71 Member

It does get boring after a while but it's fun to try a few times just for the new experiment. I did some city driving sim like that once and it was cool the first time but after that not so much.