Do You Have Sim-Racing Gear?

Discussion in 'Sim Racing' started by Denis Hard, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Denis Hard

Denis Hard Member

"Hard-core" sim racers do not play their games with standard controllers. For the game-play to feel like real-life racing they must have a wheel and pedal set-up. The prices of the "racing gear" for this genre range from $400 to a whopping $15,000!

For those of you who love Sim-racing do you have them wheels and pedals? Do they enhance the gaming experience?

2. Potausen

Potausen Member

I've got a Logitech G27 and since I've been using it, I can't imagine playing a game without it. A decent steering wheel and pedals are absolutely necessary in order to enjoy this genre. However, buying racing chairs and trying to completely immerse yourself is something that costs way too much for what it provides.

Denis Hard likes this.
  3. Denis Hard

Denis Hard Member

I saw one that costs about $600. And there are some hardcore gamers who still buy them expensive racing game chairs. Definitely not for me though. I wonder if VR will render them obsolete.

4. rajesh1209

rajesh1209 Member

The concept of a real racing gear set and steering controllers sounds interesting to me but honestly, I have never tried them. I will definitely buy them. Is there any low-budget kit available in the market? Please recommend me some cheap kits that I can afford to buy.

5. ZXD123

ZXD123 Member

Yes I own a sim racing gear and they are amazing! I would recommend trying the controller sets with virtual reality and a 4k video screen graphics in any modern game in the cockpit view. You will be mind blown at how real it handles.

6. spence88

spence88 Member

I wish I had the money to buy these! :(

If I might add, combine that with a triple monitor setup, 3D vision and a 5.1 or 7.1 surround setup. Ooohhhh, holy moly man, that is going to blow everyone away. I'll say I'm really envious of you guys!

7. erook7878

erook7878 Active Member

I could never afford an entire setup, but I did have a wheel for the playstation back in the day. It was hard to race with it as it was just uncomfortable to use. I barely even used it and played mostly with a controller.

8. erook7878

erook7878 Active Member

VR will certainty gain traction in the racing simulator category. You will still need the wheel and pedal setup though. There will always be a market for those in conjunction with the VR headset system.

9. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I never liked playing on racing wheels unless I'm at an arcade and even then I only ever really like specific games so thankfully I'm not tempted at all to spend too much on these contraptions. I think they do look pretty cool though and I would honestly still would love to get to try it out despite my skepticism, but I'm alright with the controller since it's accurate enough and I'm used to it.

10. Squigly

Squigly Active Member

I only have a mid-range racing wheel. I wouldn't feel too happy if I splurged more than a thousand dollars on sim racing peripherals!

11. Locoton22

Locoton22 Member

Well I would definitely never buy any kind of gear for racing games, if I ever feel like driving something real I would go out with my car and drive around if that is what I really want, otherwise I would no t spend any money on that kind of gear.

12. GenevB

GenevB Member

I used to have one of those, however I always have found the traditional mouse-keyboard or game pad to be better for driving on games than wheels/pedals. You simply have more control over the car and its moves.

13. erook7878

erook7878 Active Member

The wheel may feel more realistic, but the controller will always be the most comfortable to play with. You also need like a chair setup to make it comfortable playing with the pedals. Without it, you just kind have it under the desk and it just feels weird.

14. spectre456

spectre456 Member

No, I wish I did, but it's a little bit too expensive for me at the moment. Maybe at some point later on I'll get some legit racing gear. I might even invest in a drive around a real track as well.

15. spence88

spence88 Member

I hear they're worth every penny. Man, I wish I can get a job soon and buy these things. It's my dream to setup my own gaming system with a tri monitor setup, surround sound, and racing gears. Man what an experience it would have been!

16. GenevB

GenevB Member

It's not only about comfort, but the gamepad also provides you more accurate control of the car, I have even made a test, and it was a lot easier to control a car with the gamepad. The games are simply not optimized to be played with a rolling wheel and pedals, at least most of them aren't.

17. erook7878

erook7878 Active Member

I agree it is a lot easier to play with a controller. It makes sense since it is harder to drive an actual vehicle over controlling one with a video game controller. The problem with the wheel is that you aren't actually inside of a vehicle, so you just don't have the same physics and feel of a vehicle.

18. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I can't blame you for wanting it because it does seem pretty cool. I myself am not that interested in it but even I have to admit I'd love to have one at home if I had the opportunity.