Do you get dizzy with the dashboard view?

Discussion in 'Sim Racing' started by Ghost Rider, Mar 16, 2014.

1. rgrimes

rgrimes Member

No not really, I don't see why anyone would get dizzy unless you're wearing some sort of 360 degrees racing system where you move around in order to drive.

2. elmarianexx

elmarianexx Member

Depends on the game really. Sometimes it is disturbing though.

3. jurew2

jurew2 Member

Sometimes I like the view and sometimes I don't like it. Usually I preffer the third person view, but sometimes I feel like driving around with the dashboard view. I don't ever get dizzy when I play a game with the dashboard view.

4. kaitheteen

kaitheteen Member

I love dashboard views because it really gives me a in-car feel, but it doesn't really make me dizzy. I tend to not use dashboard often though, because I simply can't control the car as well as if I was using an exterior camera.

5. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

Sometimes, especially if the physics of the racing game are a little crazy and ragdoll-like. I just overall prefer third-person view in racing games. I can see my car, and know that none of it is coming into contact with an obstacle, other racer, or railing/wall.

6. ray king

ray king Member

I never use the dashboard view. I think it suits certain people, but somehow I feel that I am limited in that mode. More than dizziness, it feels like I am restricted in it. I just have to see my car and a bit of its surrounding while playing.

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

Ah, you and I are the same way. That's exactly my same reason. It's easier to avoid things when you can actually see your vehicle.

8. GlacialDoom

GlacialDoom Member

The dashboard cam kinda makes me dizzy, but I figure it's just not for me. I prefer a 3rd person cam so I can see my surroundings better.

9. spectre456

spectre456 Member

It's a great view if implemented well, but I feel like no game is quite there yet. Since we drive in real life, the dashboard cam would theoretically be the most natural for most, but it just doesn't feel that way. I feel lost and have a hard time adapting to a dashboard cam, mainly because I can't visualize where my car is as well as in real life.

10. Qarnage

Qarnage Member

Yeah the dashboard view always makes me feel dizzy. I can't race for longer than 30 minutes, which is why I've always used the third-person view. It's also easier to spot other cars and has been what I've been used to ever since I was little.

11. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

I agree. The dashboard view is dizzying, for me especially. Plus, I can't see all of my car, so I don't quite know its proximity to things. I need to be able to see what's around me.

12. Squigly

Squigly Active Member

Some people can get dizzy, particularly if they tend to get nauseous playing FPS games as well. This is typically a field of view issue, if unable to remedy, it is best to stop playing immediately.

13. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

Somehow, I do OK with first person shooters. It's just that the high speed of racing games and all the turns and drifts that have to be done can be a bit dizzying in first person. Especially if you get carsick in real life.

14. JessiFox

JessiFox Member

I *love* dashboard views, sometimes it's more challenging or even a little disturbing depending on crash style and realism and all that, but I think it's a lot more fun to play that way, too. And unless you're doing some kind of immersion, I don't see how it would be all that dizzying.

15. Squigly

Squigly Active Member

Well I don't get carsick in real life, so I can't really offer much in that regard. I do get nauseous sometimes playing FPS, but never with the dashboard view. Maybe it's because I also drive in real life, so I tend to see it as something normal I can relate with.

16. Qarnage

Qarnage Member

Same here. I absolutely have no problem playing first person shooters but when it comes to racing games I can't stand the dashboard view. Perhaps it's because your brain thinks you're moving? I get motion sickness too in real life but I'm not sure if that has got anything to do with it, probably not.

17. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I thought about it after reading your post, and I think I do much better with FPS than racing when it comes to dizziness. Although I dislike them both equally for very similar reasons.

18. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

Ah, you see, I don't drive in real life. I'm a pedestrian. Maybe that's why. Ironically, I don't get dizzy with first person shooters.

19. Larrel94

Larrel94 Member

I typically don't use the dashboard view. Does it look cool? Yes. It's not very convenient for having a good view of your surroundings, though. So I tend to use 3rd person camera most of the time.

20. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

People like it because it give you the feeling of driving in real life. The thing is, unlike real life, you can't look out the side windows and see all of your surroundings. I think, if you're going to use the dashboard view, you should make sure you know that track well.

21. TheViper

TheViper Member

The dashboard view has never been my favorite. I prefer just playing the normal way. I'm trying to play a game and not fail like crazy at driving.