Do you get dizzy with the dashboard view?

Discussion in 'Sim Racing' started by Ghost Rider, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider Member

Racing games provide different views to the player for different gaming experiences. One of the views that's very interesting is the dashboard view - a first person view of the action. Do you like this view or does it make you dizzy?

2. speedfreak

speedfreak New Member

I would have to say that I love dashboard views. True, it's the most challenging manner in which to play a racer, but I feel it's the most satisfying way to do so. I'm particularly liking the Forza Motorsport 5 interior view right now, as not only are the dashboards brilliantly detailed, but I think it's the first time that I've actually felt like I'm behind a window. Why is this? It's the lovely reflections in the windows that make it all the more believable, whereas I would only be reminded I had a window in other racing games by smashing my vehicle up!

3. rebel

rebel New Member

It really depends on the game. I usually try it out, but if I don't like it, or it's too limited and makes me fail to see the turn for example, well, then I'd disable it. Usually games that allow the player to look around while using the dashboard camera are the easiest to play in that camera mode. Some trucking simulators combined with dashboard camera mode and a steering wheel controller do a great job.

4. mikelouis

mikelouis Member

I am not a big fan of dashboards. I prefer to drive the car in the game while outside. For me it is much easier to make quick turns and all other great spin stuff rather than when am inside

5. Kandikkal

Kandikkal Member

I don't like the dashboard view much. It is kind of difficult to drive and turn. I like the third person or out-of-the-car view.

6. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

It doesn't exactly make me feel dizzy, but I guess it does, somewhat. I mostly just don't use it because I can't get a good grasp of the borders outside of the car this way, and much prefer just seeing the entire view so I can be as accurate as possible. I really can't understand how some people manage to use this view well. :D

7. rossonomous

rossonomous Member

I don't really like the view, nor does it make me dizzy. The outside view is better because you can see your whole car and racing lines better if necessary.

8. nickjt

nickjt Member

I really like that most games now include the dashboard view. I find it much harder to use than behind the car views as you cannot see what is around the car, but it draws me into the experience much more. Also the details they go to with all of the dials working and the driving using the gear stick at the appropriate time really benefits the realism and adds to the emersion of the game.

9. Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider Member

When I was back in high school, I wanted to learn how to drive a car so badly. There were very few racing games that offered a dashboard view back then. But whenever there a racing game offered a dashboard view, I would immediately try the view out in order to at least simulate real driving. Now that I have my own car, I kinda hate the dashboard view. I always play using a third person perspective view.

10. jonigjermani

jonigjermani New Member

dashboard view sucks so much. Imagine playing a drifting game on dashboard view...how can you calculate corners...speed...sliding or over-sliding...

11. Kandikkal

Kandikkal Member

This only helps if you are playing a simulation. But in a racing game this doesn't do any good. While on a race you will have to focus on the road, turns and opponents. It is not easy to do that in dashboard view.

12. Cera

Cera New Member

It only depends on what type of device I am playing on, I try to avoid it on tablets but for a TV or computer I am fine with it. My spouse however loves the "way back" as they call it. :rolleyes:

13. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I agree, and you bring up a very interesting point. I really would have so much trouble drifting in dashboard view. With so much technical aspects we have to keep up with these days, I think the most accurate option would be to just pick the view wherein you could see the whole picture.

14. FosterTXT

FosterTXT Member

I hear about people get dizzy while racing in dashboard view but I personally don't get dizzy. I actually prefer dashboard view over any other view. It's a shame that not too many games have dashboard view.

15. Jun Yun

Jun Yun Member

I personally don't. It's actually my preferred view next to the hood view. The best dashboard view in my opinion goes to Need For Speed: Shift. Never has there been a more exhilarating drive with a Zonda R and being in dashboard view.

16. Solar

Solar Member

I honestly find that view too distracting. In real life you don't really notice the dash THAT much, so you don't feel distracted, but when playing a game on your TV you're already at a fair distance, you probably have the area around the TV plus the TV itself already in your vision. I feel that the addition of the dash makes it look too cluttered. I don't know if that's the proper word, what I mean is that it feels harder to focus on the road.

So I don't really get dizzy but I don't like it.

17. Dez97

Dez97 Member

I don't like it, it makes the game more difficult for me...but its never made me dizzy no.

18. xilezaturo

xilezaturo Member

There are two games I could think of that might get you a bit dizzy and neither of them have dashboard view. Death Rally has helicopter view and Whiplash has a front bumper view and third person. There are other games, but I can't think of any right now.

19. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Member

Depends on the game and the angle of the dashboard. Some games do it well and some REALLY don't.

20. Ricardo187

Ricardo187 Member

Even though that vision doesn't make me dizzy at all, I dislike it and never use it, in most games, simply because I can't control the car as good as I can on exterior camera. It doesn't feel like real life at all, so it's just useless in the majority of racing games.