Do you consider Saints Row as a GTA knock off?

Discussion in 'GTA General Discussion' started by beccagreen, Sep 17, 2014.

1. niiro17

niiro17 Member

I don't really consider Saints Row a knock off to GTA. The genre is the same but the characters and the gameplay is very much different to GTA.

2. Profit5500

Profit5500 New Member

Saints Row has some similar features to GTA. The third and fourth Saint Rows games looked futuristic which had no similarity to GTA. I never played Saints Row so I have not experienced what the game is like.

3. insertkittyface

insertkittyface New Member

I wouldn't really consider it a knock off, I mean, they are kind of similar, but a lot of games are like that if you think about it enough. I don't think they were trying to make them a lot a like or anything, just ended up being the same type of game.

4. Goat of Departure

Goat of Departure New Member

No it's not it just so happens that the game plays the same as GTA and it looks the same as GTA but that doesn't make it a knock off automatically. I think Saints Row is a great game that has differentiate itself from any other game of the same genre.

When they started to make SR3 I think they took to themselves to really change the franchise and have an identity of their own kind of like what GTA did and I think they made the right decision to not be the same game.

5. daimashin

daimashin New Member

Maybe yes for the first two games but I no longer feel that way after Saints Row 3. The franchise has gone nuts and crazy ever since that it's nowhere like GTA.

6. vennybunny

vennybunny Member

Not really a rip-off, but the inspiration is definitely clear.

GTA started a trend in games, in my opinion. Not only Saints row, but games like Just Cause. GTA is one of the earliest games that really gave you freedom on what to do, and is equally rewarding whether you follow the story or just cause chaos.

7. Obi

Obi New Member

I feel like Saint's Row has always been the more whacky version of GTA. Before you even got to Saint's Row the Third they had jokey things like the pimp cane or PeeWee bike, so I wouldn't consider it a ripoff but just similar.

8. TheViper

TheViper Member

It started off similar to GTA but then of course the fanboys started ripping them just like every other game. They switched up and now they are in their own kind of league.

9. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

Well, the newest Saints Row releases are different from GTA in a way. I don't really know if I would say that the former is a clone of the latter, but they're definitely basing their game on the same premise.

10. jamiew23

jamiew23 New Member

Definitely but it plays a lot differently. It was obviously that they were trying to do the same kinda thing as GTA but after playing it it's a lot different and a lot more crazy and weird. I quite liked it.

11. MrHurricane89

MrHurricane89 New Member

I don't consider it a "knock-off" game. Sure, there are a lot of simial relements, but SR still differentiates itself enough to not be considered a GTA clone.

12. MrZ0mbiesFanatic

MrZ0mbiesFanatic New Member

I wouldn't call saints row a hard copy of GTA, but it definitely has some similarities and feels almost like GTA, but with some different elements.

13. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

As others have said, I don't think there's any doubt that the game developers looked at how well GTA is doing and wanted a bit of that success. While I wouldn't go as far to say that it's a total copy, there is definitely GTA traits in there.

14. Susime

Susime Active Member

I don't really consider Saints Row a knock-off. Not the 3rd and 4th ones anyway.

I've always likened them to GTA but on steroids!

15. SeereneAngel88

SeereneAngel88 New Member

I agree. Saints Row 2 felt like a giant parody game that made fun of crime games in general. Hell, in one activity, you're dressed as a cop with a video camera guy and you are chasing "criminals" and delivering justice via flamethrower.While the first game I have no problem calling a clone, the second game stood out since it was clearly knee deep in satire and didn't care.

16. Slashman8

Slashman8 New Member

I really don't see it as a knock off, similar yes. At least in some departments it is the same, though it is far from being a ripoff.

17. mynameisshieldler

mynameisshieldler Member

True.

18. mynameisshieldler

mynameisshieldler Member

Definitely.

19. FolkArtist

FolkArtist Member

GTA has a more realistic outlook, and Saints Row has a more funky and fun vibe to it, also the sci-fi gameplay is a lot of fun as well with Saints Row. The GTA series is known for realism where the characters are believable and the story is like a dark detective drama.