Did GTA V build on San Andreas the way GTA IV couldn't?

Discussion in 'GTA V General Discussion' started by 4justice, Jan 9, 2014.

1. 4justice

4justice Member

Gran Theft Auto San Andreas was considered the best GTA game at the time. Even after GTA IV was released, after the dust settled, people became aware that GTA IV had so much stripped away that it was a downgrade compared to GTA San Andreas.

But now with GTA V out, can we consider it the true step up from San Andreas that GTA IV failed to be?

2. msreebaybay

msreebaybay Member

I think that is a great assumption, because I was starting to feel similar as well. I liked San Andreas and I think GTA V is the closest thing to a GTA San Andreas that we can get. I totally agree about GTA IV being a little weak compared to GTA San Andreas.

3. sidd230

sidd230 Member

GTA IV was more of a technical advancement then a art and game design one. It was necessary in its time considering the GTA series was seriouslylacking visual appeal.

4. 4justice

4justice Member

Just because it was a technical advancement doesn't mean they had to take out so many of the things that made San Andreas great. There's no excuse for that.

Gran Theft Auto at its core is about sandbox first and foremost. The early GTA games are a shining example of that. San Andreas followed suit with that ideal.

GTA IV was built to bring in more mainstream appeal and not for the series' long time fans

5. ENO1986

ENO1986 New Member

I always looked at SA as being just a great product personally I didn't compare the two just because the game engines are completely different as well as the story.

6. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Member

GTAIV was super disappointing to me. It didn't feel like a GTA should whereas GTA V did and continues to make me feel like it was the true successor in the GTA franchise. Hopefully the obviously upcoming GTA V expansions will be as awesome.