Classic Racing Game That Needs to be Rebooted

Discussion in 'Sim Racing' started by JoshPosh, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Jani

Jani New Member

Oh I know what game you are talking about! I played this game for hours on end. I think it would be a good one to re-vamp on other consoles. It would be more enjoyable than some I could think of.

2. Gin0710

Gin0710 Member

I
    I have no idea, but this is Excitebike. [​IMG]

3. CarGamingBlog

CarGamingBlog Member

I used to love playing Ivan 'Ironman' Stewart's Super Off Road! Sometimes we would designate player 2 to be a blocker - to block the AI cars as best as possible!

4. mkCampbell

mkCampbell Member

Oh yea, I remember that game. Loved catching that slope at the right angle. Lord how far graphics has advanced is simply amazing. That guy running back to his bike.... that's me as those dirt spots always got me as the game progressed.

5. mkCampbell

mkCampbell Member

The one I was thinking about was a stand alone game when it first came out and it had a fake motorcycle seat and such sticking out of the front. I saw a later version at a huge arcade in Atlanta later that have about five in a row connected that you would race other riders at the same time.

6. Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider Member

Racing Lagoon by Square. It wasn't a well known game. It came out for the PS 1 but it didn't get a huge following. Still, the concept was pretty awesome during that Era of video gaming. It was a racing-RPG and it made the tournaments all the more meaningful. I hope Square does a reboot of the game on the PS 4

7. primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974 Member

Although it was not completely racing, but rather part demolition, I loved the original Carmageddon. The graphics were pretty good for the late 90's, although somewhat outdated by today's standards. The panning camera that we can control on almost any game nowadays wasn't as common 15 years ago, but this game had it. I also enjoyed recording a maneuver, freezing the video and then moving the camera in a full 360 degree spread to see the action from any direction. I wasn't as impressed with the sequels to this game, but the original is still fun today!

8. Denis Hard

Denis Hard Member

I second this. Road Rash certainly is the one classic game that would do with a reboot. There was talk that they'd do something but it amounted to nothing. Some guys who said they were working on an unofficial reboot [or from the looks of it, intend to] created something entirely different which was less than impressive.

I'm sure everyone who played Road Rash would be tempted to play the game if it were to be rebooted.

9. mkCampbell

mkCampbell Member

This thread has started me thinking about some of the great games over the years. But mostly hitting the arcade at the hotel or something when on a family vacation. Good times, good times!

10. spectre456

spectre456 Member

The one game that I have wanted a modern version of for a while now is F-Zero. The sense of speed and danger in those games was great, and I spent a good amount of hours playing it on single player and with my brother. I never played F-Zero GX, but I recently got a copy and will start playing it once I get a memory card for my gamecube.

11. Kamarsun1

Kamarsun1 Member

You picked the right game. I loved RC pro am. Another cool arcade game was spy hunter. I didn't like it much on the SNES. I wouldn't mind seeing a new version of spy hunter, with real graphics.

12. JessiFox

JessiFox Member

Oh I saw that last year! I almost got it but ended up being a little tight on money and decided not to...I'd love to give it a shot though, even if it doesn't last for very long ;) definitely a welcome break from the ps3 and xbox.

13. JessiFox

JessiFox Member

I understand where you're coming from there...like you mentioned, I suspect a lot of us feel the same way. It's hard sometimes if you've witnessed the evolution of something not to feel nostalgic and a little more particular about the ones that started it all :).

14. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's hard to define sometimes If the old versions were really better or I'm just wearing nostalgia goggles. I try to be objective as much as possible but of course I'm always biased.

JessiFox likes this.
  15. GamerPerson

GamerPerson Member

I wouldn't mind seeing a re-boot of Kinecta. Loved the idea of your character being the vehicle. I seriously think that game wasn't given much of a fare chance. :/ The tricks were hard to pull off, sure, but if it was easy people DEFINITELY would complain all the more. Can't please everyone, I guess.

16. JessiFox

JessiFox Member

Fair enough, I think we all are. There are sometimes where I know that a newer game is objectively better by all accounts, but I still prefer the older, inferior option. It's natural I think :) .

Wubwub likes this.
  17. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Oh yes definitely. Some developers are very good with making improvements on their newer versions and those tend to make people forget about their nostalgia goggles. I find that I only feel biased for older games when the newer versions are too drastically changed or don't hold up as well.

18. primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974 Member

A game that I remember, long dead, is "Indianapolis 500: The Simulation". As far as I am aware, it wasonly for the Amiga, and no other platform were created. For that reason, I don't think many people from the late 80's played it, because most didn't have computers. Because my dad was always into computers, we had one. The game is Atari-quality in graphics, and could use a major overhaul.

19. primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974 Member

Another game that I remember (and at the time I thought was quite good) was "hang on". It was developed by Sega in the mid-80's. Although the title is not very original, the game held my interest. "Hang on" was one of the first "riding" arcade games. It was a motorcycle simulation. Although arcades are on the decline, I think a new version of this would be worth the effort.

20. Strykstar

Strykstar Member

The first thing that came to my mind was Road Rash, I think they tried rebooting it a couple of years ago but I never heard anything else about it, maybe the studio closed...