Best games on the PS Vita

Discussion in 'Portable Gaming' started by Ghost Rider, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider Member

Hey guys I'm contemplating on getting a PS Vita but I'm having some second thoughts. They say that the PS Vita only has a few great games. Can you enumerate the best games that you have played on the PS Vita? Is this handheld console really worth the money?

2. mssfgaming

mssfgaming Member

I love Killzone: Mercenary. It's awesome pick up and play game and has good mechanics. The gun play in it is awesome and just an all around great game. I also enjoyed Escape Plan, a PS Vita game that really used the touch screen feature very well.

3. Solar

Solar Member

Well, this is a racing game forum. There's Wipeout 2048, Sega All-Stars Racing and Need for Speed: Most Wanted for racers, the later two being multiplatform games (but Vita version are worth it if you want portability, of course). Really recommend Wipeout 2048, it's an exclusive and it's great. The Wipeout HD and Fury content is available as relatively cheap DLC, too.

As for overall games, Persona 4 Golden can easily scratch a JRPG itch and it's considered one of the best games on the system. There's also Atelier Totori Plus and such, if you care for the series.

Gravity Rush is a really unique platformer and an exclusive new IP, worth checking out though some people get motion sickness from it because of the gravity shifting.

Killzone: Mercenary is pretty much THE first-person shooter on Vita. Nice campaign with decent replay value if you want to mess around but the most important part is the multiplayer and it's extremely solid. It's more objective based than an all-out deathmatch, it keeps things interesting. You get Valor Cards which are like ranks and they update every once in a while, based on your performance.

Unit 13 and Uncharted: Golden Abyss are the ones to check if you want third-person shooters. Unit 13 has a lot of replayability as you can use different classes, has scoring and you can also play randomized missions other than regular missions. Uncharted is, well, Uncharted. If you've played Uncharted, this is more of it. You can take that however you want.

If you like fighters, there's a bunch of them but they're all portable-versions of console games, but they play as good as the console versions. There's Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, Street Fighter x Tekken, Mortal Kombat, BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend and the upcoming Injustice, among others.

If you also like indie games there's a HUGE amount of some of the best indie games released and coming. Games like Spelunky, Guacamelee, Rogue Legacy, The Binding of Isaac, etc. There's also backwards compability for some (not all, but the majority) of PSP games and PS1 Classics.

The system itself feels and looks great too.

I didn't expect this post to turn out so huge but OK...

4. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitect Member

PS All Star Battle Royale is the only game you ever need in your life. Think Super Smash Bros but with PS characters. You do want to see Big Daddy fight Kratos, don't you.

5. fireinyourwords

fireinyourwords Member

That's an excellent list, Solar. I've been wanting to get a Vita for a while, but it's taken a while for them to build up the library past only having a couple of games I would want to play. I'm really excited about the Playstation Now announcement because if it means I can stream PS3 games to the Vita, I'm in. I'm just hesitant to what the price is actually going to be for the service.

6. Oakster

Oakster Member

The best game in my opinion is definitely Persona 4 Golden, it's one of the best RPG's made and one of the best Vita games of any genre.

7. 4justice

4justice Member

I have some of the "best games" as they say. But remember, that's subjective.

If you have PS Plus, you can have 2 of the best games right off the back with Gravity Rush and Uncharted.

As the poster above stated, Persona 4 Golden is a great choice. Tearaway is a great game as is Killzone Mercenary.

I would say go for Soul Sacrifice, but there is an updated version of that coming soon.

Oh and Muramasa Rebirth is also a worthy game to own.

8. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Member

The Vita has no games hardly at all right now. It really needs more games before it'll truely take off.

9. Wick99

Wick99 Member

If you've played the other games in the series, I'd definitely say that Sly Cooper Thieves in Time is a must. The first three are excellent and the fourth one expands on the cliffhanger ending of the third.

PS+ would be a good thing for you to subscribe to because they offer an awful lot of games for "free".

10. Rohan99

Rohan99 Member

I never had the PS vita and I think there are not enough games for it. I think call of duty on it looks good because I saw a lot of tv advertisements when it first came out. The vita was a flop in my opinion and most people still have the psp.

11. jurew2

jurew2 Member

One of my favorite games on PS Vita was and still probably is GTA Liberty City Stories. I played this game quite a lot when I bought it and I recommend everyone that has a PS Vita that he/she tries it when he/she gets the chance to do so.

12. Amatenshi

Amatenshi New Member

If you don't have a PSP for custom firmware, the Vita has a lot of PSP games for sale on the PSN Store for cheap. I recommend God Eater Burst, Midnight Club: LA Remix, Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, and Ridge Racer.

If you get yourself a PlayStation Plus subscription, pretty much any game you get from that is one worth having. This month, you get Dragon's Crown, FEZ, Proteus, and Metrico, all of which I found enjoyable.

Do you like JRPGs? Hyperdimension Neptunia is on its way to Vita, and the Plus versions of the Atelier games are there. Persona 4 Golden, even if you've already played through the original, is worth having, too.

Since you're here, you're probably into racing games, so you wouldn't go wrong if you grab Need for Speed Most Wanted - it has all of the content of the PS3 version, and some exclusive events. There's also online play present, and I'm looking to find people to play with, so if you get it, let me know if you want to race. Another racing game I would recommend is Wipeout 2048, which you can find for cheap now that it's had a run on PS+ (no longer in the rotation, unfortunately). Avoid Ridge Racer unless you can get the base game for dirt cheap and don't mind buying the DLC.

For monster hunting aficionados, since Capcom does Monster Hunter for Nintendo systems only (except for Frontier) now, you have a fair amount of options. God Eater 2 is probably worth it if you can afford to import it, and Freedom Wars is getting a release at the end of this year. Currently available are Toukiden, Soul Sacrifice, and Ragnarok Odyssey Ace, all three with their own enjoyable style.

Killzone Mercenary is THE FPS game for Vita, so if you like those, grab it. The best third-person offering is Unit 13, whose arcadey, bite-sized format I quite like.

Gravity Rush is a rather original action game worth checking out, too. It used to be on PS+, and it's an earlier game, so you can find it for relatively cheap.

Lastly, if you're a fan of the Uncharted games, you'll be happy to find out that the Vita entry in the series is a very competent game. Like Gravity Rush, it's cheap because of its age and previous run on PS+.

Happy hunting! I just know you'll find plenty to like on Vita.