Battery Life and Mobile Gaming

Discussion in 'Mobile Gaming' started by Ghost Rider, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider Member

Yes, mobile gaming is fun as you could enjoy a game anytime, anywhere. But, mobile gaming is limited only to the capacity of its battery. I was able to play from morning to evening on my Note 2. But now, after the update, I could only use my note for half a day even if it is fully charged. Tsk.

2. randee555

randee555 Member

I have a cheaper smartphone, hoping to upgrade soon. I have issues with the battery life on this phone especially when playing games. It's frustrating to be in the middle of a game and have to hook up the charger which leads to my phone feeling hot sometimes if I keep playing.

Ghost Rider likes this.
  3. Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider Member

Haha. That's true. I don't know what it is with Moville phones these days. My Note 2 has an extremely huge battery but it doesn't even last a day. And the worse thing is it takes much longer to charge the unit now than I can use it.

4. rossonomous

rossonomous Member

I've never liked Mobile Gaming and this factor is one of the main reasons. I use my phone a lot during the day for personal and business and it barely lasts the day already. If I started playing games then it would never make it through the day.

5. msreebaybay

msreebaybay Member

I hate how much mobile gaming eats your battery life. The other day I played Flappy bird for about a hour and it decreased my battery to 10% and I started on 100%.

6. Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider Member

Whoa, for real? That's even worse than my phone. :D

What type of unit do you have? Is it an Android or an iOS device? I'm contemplating on getting a new phone since mine no longer lasts for a day. The only problem is that I don't have money. Maybe I should just settle for a new battery instead?

7. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I did not realize updates could affect your gadgets' battery life that much. I've only recently started playing tablet games and so far my tablet has been holding up pretty well, fortunately. I hope that update thing doesn't happen to me.

8. dannyboy

dannyboy Member

Wow that sucks but it is not uncommon. When you have any application like a game open for extended period of time, it will kill your battery's energy.

9. gats

gats Member

I use my cellphone for emergencies so I rarely play games to avoid killing the battery.

10. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I agree with gats, I mostly just do it this way too. If I want to play some mobile games, I'd just play on a tablet and I'd only play on my smartphone if I was excruciatingly bored and did not have my tablet with me. Also, I think adjusting the brightness to a lower setting helps tons as its proven to work for me a lot of times.

11. MissBin

MissBin Member

My smartphones battery last about 2 or rarely 3 hours when i play mobile games. And my smartphone also gets so hot that i got to put it down while playing. Adjusting the brightness helps a bit to lower battery or just fill your battery every 30% to 80% and then repeat. It helped me to extend it a bit.

12. kaitheteen

kaitheteen Member

Mobile gaming isn't the best thing in the world for me as a play for a long time. I dislike the battery life and would like to keep playing while it was charging.

13. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Member

That's the big problem and why I only play mobile games on my tablet. It KILLS phone battery's super quick.

14. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Yeah my tablet lets me play almost all day without interruption but it does get hot especially for more intensive games. Also the screen is much larger so it's definitely much more convenient.

15. jurew2

jurew2 Member

When I play games on my phone the battery drains pretty quickly and there is nothing that I can do about it than just plug in the charger. I don't think that mobile phones are not made for long time gaming, if you don't want to charge your phone too often then I recommend you play the games on a tablet.

16. Jasonreid

Jasonreid Member

Mobile gaming or a mobile device uses more power. It kills your phone battery really quick. If you have to use your phone often then don't play games. I also think playing games reduce the overall charge time on the battery.

17. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

The most I can do when I game for long periods is to lessen the brightness of my device so that I could at least save some battery that way. I also turn the volume down a bit and these have helped significantly with saving my battery although not by that much.

18. Sparkster

Sparkster Member

My battery doesn't last too long either, it only barely lasts a day when I'm not playing games on it and I don't really use it that much throughout the day. Have you tried turning Accounts & Sync>Background Data, GPS/location and all those types of functions off and turned the brightness down? I found that doing so helped quite a lot.

19. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Yup, turning off all the bells and whistles does help with battery life and also speeds up your device. You could also turn off animation. Brightness settings is probably the biggest offender of this though from what I've seen.

20. burtpovski

burtpovski Member

That's very true. I have a Galaxy S3 and I can play pretty much any game I want on it. But it all comes down to the battery life. Usually, I can probably play for about 3 hours or so until it starts to drain like crazy.