32 Years! Mario Might Be Older Than Most Of Us...Maybe

Discussion in 'Mario Kart' started by teabwoi, Sep 10, 2015.

1. teabwoi

teabwoi Member

I was just reading some Nintendo news and I came across this:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/top-10-mario-games-time-article-1.2354092

Could believe it. Most of the games on this list bring back memories of some really good times in my life. I remember when I first got the chance to play on the Nintendo. It was Donkey Kong on my uncles system. Oh my how the time flies.

Could you remember the first time that you got the chance to play on any Nintendo console?

2. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

I remember playing my first Mario game on Nintendo. It was that classic one where you had to find Princess Peach, don't know if it had a special name or not. I had so much fun with it!

3. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I thought it was much older than that, honestly, but yeah it still is surprising to hear how much time has passed since his original appearance. What's even more impressive to me is how many games he has been featured in.

4. troutski

troutski Active Member

Mario's pretty big. ;) It's not surprising that Mario has been around that long. He's one of the first major game characters and has since been incorporated into an empire of a video game franchise.

5. Susime

Susime Active Member

32 years? Blimey, the series is older than my sister.

It's kinda amazing to think that the Mario series has been going on for so long, I mean when they did the first release I wonder if Nintendo could have seen their series lasting for three decades?

6. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I'd say he is the most famous icon of video games at this point. He has probably already overshadowed many of his predecessors like pacman.

7. utneqo7d

utneqo7d Member

That's because pacman was 'just a little game' where mario was an entirely new, innovative franchise. Right now, it all seems so obvious when games are made or when you play mario that it is what it is, but back then, it probably was something entirely new, running with a plumber through a level, fighting enemies and collecting coins, we shouldn't underestimate the influence this franchise has had on the gaming world.

8. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

You're right. Mario blew up at the right time when people were more comfortable with video games and the culture that comes with it and there were complexities in it that probably weren't possible with the previous era.

9. TheViper

TheViper Member

To be fair I thought that Mario was at least in his 60s. Makes me feel good knowing that I am not that old. Even though in reality I literally am not that old to begin with.

10. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I know what you mean. Most of us now probably didn't ever know the world without Mario so it feels like he's been around forever.

11. Squigly

Squigly Active Member

Mario is older than me! I first ran into the character playing the original Smash Bros, then the first Mario Kart. I haven't actually played the original Mario games all that much!

12. rz3300

rz3300 Member

That is crazy to think about. I am pretty sure that I have played every version too, which is also pretty crazy to think about. That just means that it stands the test of time, which is a test that not many games can say that they pass. Impressive run, and I am glad that they are still going.

13. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Member

I think Mario is one of those rare characters and franchises that is truly timeless. It's especially remarkable given how shameless Nintendo is with using him in SOOOO many games. Mario is just one of those characters that is impossible to hate, for some reason.