Will Nintendo ever lose its place as king of portable gaming?

Discussion in 'Portable Gaming' started by Ghost Rider, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Gin0710

Gin0710 Member

My daughter would be devastated if they stopped making Mario games. She loves Mario! She's a percentage of their market, for sure!

2. wowtgp

wowtgp Member

Do you remember the time wen Nintendo used toe the kind of video games industry. Then PS1 came around and Nintendo started losing its grip pretty fast. Same thing can happen with portable market of they are not careful.

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

Are you guys actively ignoring the article I posted about how Nintendo has BILLIONS of dollars? They are filthy, stinking rich and not in any financial trouble. They are making a ton of profit. I don't know how anyone can read the news article that I posted and still think that Nintendo is in financial trouble.

4. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Member

Nothing is impossible, but it will be very tough for someone to take Nintendo's spot in portable gaming. They probably won't ever get it back in terms of home systems, but with portables, they seem to be a permanent fixture.

Sometimes, I don't understand why though. From the time of the Gameboy all the way to now, literally each and every competitor they've faced had a better product than they did. They all had more powerful and more versatile devices.

But that's what happens when you have the social mindset on your side. You don't have to have a better product, your brand just has to echo louder. Which is why Nintendo has such a strong fixture in portable gaming.

5. funone22

funone22 New Member

My own opinion is that I don't think Nintendo will lose it's place and hopefully this game will stay at the top for a long time. Nintendo won't ever lose it's spot. I started playing Nintendo games when I was a kid and really liked it. As an adult I still have an interest in it.

6. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Member

I don't think Nintendo will lose it's place of supremacy when it comes to portable gaming. In the same way that Apple is the best when it comes to tablets and smart phones, Nintendo is the best in the portable video game market. It is their niche at this point, since Microsoft and Sony have taken the lead in the console race. They are good at what they do and make superior products.

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

It's true. Plus, they still were the first ones to make a console completely dedicated to motion sensored gaming, the Wii. They're an innovative company and I'm sure they'll be just fine.

8. Gin0710

Gin0710 Member

It is possible that another console could try to out-do Mario, but I think they've tried that in the past (Sonic, Crash Bandicot, etc) and have failed. So I really think Nintendo will always be tops.

9. mssfgaming

mssfgaming Member

Nintendo has always been the leader of portable handheld devices. Their line of DS including DS, DSi and 3DS portable consoles are incredibly popular and very good. As with portable devices, the only real competition is the PSP and the PS Vita. However, and this is from a perspective of a person who owns a PS Vita, the 3DS is a lot more better than the PS Vita because of it's expansive and exclusive game library.

10. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Yeah they have a lot of backup and even their CEO was the one that said so. From what I understand the statement was something like they could fail a few times without totally going down.

11. burtpovski

burtpovski Member

I think they're at a pretty good position. There aren't many portable game creators out there compared to Nintendo. At least not that I know of. I've seen Sony released the PSP Vita, but that was a pretty long time ago already. It looks like only Nintendo is really in the market for portable gaming.