Will GTA ever be really, really close to real life?

Discussion in 'Grand Theft Auto' started by FuZyOn, Sep 20, 2015.

1. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

Right now they have a pretty good system in place. You can do a lot of things in game, but what if they would add even more features to make the game feel like real life? I would love something like that.

2. Susime

Susime Active Member

I can see this would appeal to some people but for me I just can't imagine getting any enjoyment out of something that feels too much like real life.

Video games for me are for pure entertainment.

3. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

They could add some features that would require you to make decisions in real time and the effects would also be in real time, as in you'd have to wait for days or weeks to see if your plan is working or not.

4. Susime

Susime Active Member

I can't see that getting off the ground, I think people would lose interest far too quickly.

They could add an option to have the in-game days play out like in real time though, that would be pretty fun.

5. spectre456

spectre456 Member

The problem is that most people, including myself, play GTA to cause chaos and mayhem. Even though I appreciate the realism in certain aspects of the game, there's a fine line there that may make the game somewhat boring if it's crossed.

6. RamZor

RamZor Member

I don't think that will ever be the case. The point of the game is to be chaotic, that's what makes the game fun !

7. Susime

Susime Active Member

GTA is the more realistic of the sandbox style of games. I'd say Saints Row is the chaotic one because that's pretty much GTA but on some sort of drug.

A re-occuring request I've seen from people is for GTA to model fuel consumption in cars and considering you can shoot the tanks to make the car leak fuel until it runs dry, I'd say they're halfway there.

8. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Good point. I think since GTA has become more and more realistic it's become easier to forget that what we love about it mostly is how exaggerated it is.

9. GlacialDoom

GlacialDoom Member

Well, as technology will advance and if consoles will ever catch up in terms of technology with PCs, we'll most likely see a lot of features added so its more life-like. However, I don't think we'll ever see a game which will properly emulate real life.

10. Susime

Susime Active Member

I may be in the minority here, but am I the only one who looks on some console games as more realistic looking compared to PC games?

Some games on the PC just look really artificial compared to what some console games look like graphically.

11. Squigly

Squigly Active Member

There's definitely elements which have to deviate from real life to make the game enjoyable and playable. For example the police reactions. I think there's a limit to how close GTA can resemble real life while remaining fun to play.

12. Susime

Susime Active Member

The police reactions are a little hit and miss I think. I mean there are moments where you get a 1-star level straight away if you do something bad, where-as you can be somewhere else, raise merry hell and it takes a few moments to get a wanted level.

13. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Good point. Although I think it would also be kind of cool to see csi hunting you down long after your last crime.

14. Susime

Susime Active Member

That could work I think. They did a similar thing in RDR with the bounty hunters who occasionally came after you if you committed a lot of murders I think.

However I can see some people getting a little annoyed by it. You know, they are just doing their own thing and then suddenly they start getting attacked by FBI types.

15. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

Well, I think they're doing what they can in terms of bringing some sort of realism to the world of Grand Theft Auto. Still, there's only so much they can do without losing the fantasy and comedy aspects of it. In real life, you'd would be caught, arrested, and either have to do life in prison or the death penalty for the majority of the things we all do in the GTA games. I like how we're able to do more and see more with each game in the GTA series. There are, however, limitations to what Rockstar can do to make it more realistic. Though there is challenge in not getting caught by the cops, you still get by much easier than in real life, and I think that's the point.

16. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I agree. I think it's one of the elements in the game that they kind of need to improve on but it's still a fun game regardless. It is just a minor gripe and yeah if they wanted to make it even more realistic then it's something they would have to solve.

17. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

I don't think they should tweak it too much. The game can already be challenging as is, with how the police are programmed now. If the difficulty is advanced to a more realistic level of authority, GTA might become really difficult. I mean, I'd be willing to try it, but I definitely think you'd have to be smarter about how you performed your crimes.

18. puneeth8994

puneeth8994 Member

I guess we are slowly trying to fuse virtual reality and actual reality at this point, even I'd love to see a game like that. Maybe, it can make the game play even better, if not GTA, someone else is bound to do it at some point.

19. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

TOO MUCH realism wouldn't be so good though, as we play video games to actually escape reality, not to simulate it. It would bring a lot of ethical issues, since you're basically simulating real world scenarios and you GET to kill people, running around with cars and bumping into things. It's really not the direction we want the game to go to, because it really blurs the line with what we CAN do at a game, and what we SHOULDN'T do in real life situations.

20. mauricioq

mauricioq Member

That's not a thing that depends entirely on the game, the consoles need to be way stronger is terms of graphics for it to be more realistic. I'm sure they'll be, in the future.