What's Your Portable Gaming Console Of Choice?

Discussion in 'Portable Gaming' started by turklife, Jan 16, 2014.

1. moaz13

moaz13 Member

I've got a 3DS but I only just found out how terrible Nintendo are with region locking and overpriced games and bad hardware so I'm keeping it around till it gets hacked and pirated to hell so I can play some games, otherwise I like my Vita and it's functionality with the PS4

2. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Agreed. PSP was so awesome and it had lots of games for it that weren't too dependent on graphics alone. In fact most of the games there were admittedly less graphically impressive but a lot of them were just so fun nonetheless.

3. teabwoi

teabwoi Member

Right now I think that the best one has to be the 3DS. That portable console right now to me is the one that is ruling the market and there is no portable console right now that will be able to compete with it the way that things have been going right now. So for me I would say that my portable gaming console of choice would have to be the 3DS.

4. BJL717

BJL717 New Member

My preferred choice would be the PS Vita, but if we were talking about all-time, then I'd have to go with the Gamboy Color. I miss playing "Pokemon Blue" for the Gameboy; it's one of the best games ever!

5. burtpovski

burtpovski Member

I've owned a Nintendo DS, a Gameboy SP, and a PSP. Out of these 3, I would definitely go with the PSP. It just feels so nice to play on. In my opinion, it really does look like a portable gaming device. Not that a DS and the Gameboy don't look like gaming consoles, but the PSP really does resemble one nicely.

6. niiro17

niiro17 Member

PSP or PSVita. It has many games that I like, like Kingdom Hearts and Persona. Those games are amazing.

7. Solar

Solar Member

The Vita. It fits me better than the 3DS and with PS+, I have barely had to buy games but still always have something new to play. I'm kind of in a bad economic situation, so something like PS+ is godsend when I can't afford to buy all the new games that come out.

Also, Vita had portable Binding of Isaac first!

Also, I think Vita has better racers on it? It has one of the Criterion-made Need for Speed games (I haven't played it, but heard it's good) and Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed which is excellent. Also, Wipeout 2048! There might be others, but these are off the top of my head. What does the 3DS have when it comes to racing? Mario Kart 7 and that's it? I don't even like Mario Kart that much...

8. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I've always been curious about the vita but I've been waiting for the prices to drop. I'm thinking of just getting the console version instead since that's way cheaper but the games cost just as much as the console games if I remember correctly.

9. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

PSP is still good for me, though the PS Vita is superior in every aspect. I also love the touchscreen, it makes navigating and playing some games easier! :D

10. Arvis

Arvis Member

The old PSP 2000/3000 is my all time favorite. I also liked Gameboy color and would love to try Nintendo 3DS. It's disappointing that PS Vita is not getting the attention it deserves.

11. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Member

Of all-time, I have to go with the Gameboy Advance. I just love how much power Nintendo was able to pack into this tiny device, and it was like having a suped-up SNES in your pocket.

Right now though the 3DS is ruling the roost for me. I'm really not much for mobile play, if that's even considered to be in the same category.

12. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I haven't gotten to try out the PSP vita yet but I do love the old PSP. I would play it again now if I only had one again. I think the games have held up quite well as I've gotten to play some of them again on an emulator and they are still just as fun now many years later.

13. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Member

PS Vita? Is that still even a thing?

Does Sony even support it, still? It sort of came and went without much fanfare, in my recollection.

14. Squigly

Squigly Active Member

In the past, the PSP was the handheld console of choice, and will remain one of the greats for me. I still use mine from time to time even though it's almost ten years old!

At the moment portable gaming consoles are actually dying, due to the rise of mobile gaming. The Nintendo 3DS gets my vote over the PS Vita due to its availability of games like Pokemon, and more widespread use.

15. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

It really is kind of disappointing how poorly it is doing considering how powerful of a machine it is. I think one of the biggest things holding it back is how Sony keeps pushing people to use their proprietary materials that can easily be converted to standard ones such as their chargers and memory cards. It would make sense if they were as good as Apple at providing benefits and a good enough ecosystem which would warrant the expensive price tag

16. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Member

It's really remarkable how Nintendo has pretty much ruled the roost in portable gaming for over two decades. I do wonder what their response will be with the advent of mobile gaming, though.

17. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

I think that the PSP was just an amazing handheld console. With the 3D graphics, strong selection of games, and well-constructed design of the PSP, it was just a great experience. It fits well in the hands as well, like a dualshock controller.

Arvis likes this.
  18. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Same here. A lot of people complained about the lack of a right analog stick but I myself never found it that much of a bother. All other games that did workaround stores substitute it did a great job. The most if complain about was the lack of the trigger buttons up top but again I never found it that bothersome too.

19. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

Well, there are trigger buttons, but not two pairs, like on the traditional Playstation controllers. So, instead of L1, L2, R1, and R2, you just have L and R. Yes, the lack of two thumbsticks took a bit of getting used to initially, you grow used to it. It still essentially played like a Playstation, so the PSP felt familiar.

20. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Yeah it was a common complaint I always heard with regards to the compromises on this device which I personally never got as a PSP fan. I'm a bit less attached to the original analog controllers though so that may also be part of why I adapted to the PSP controls a little easier.