Gran Turismo 6 What's up with the car damage in GT 6?

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo 7' started by Ghost Rider, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider Member

I've long been craving for Gran Turismo to have realistic car damage since the series went to the PS2. But now that we're with the latest GT game on the PS3, the problem still persists. Cars look fantastic, as well as the tracks and your speed could reach 200kph. But then, when you bump into a wall, all you get is a slight dent on the bumper. Are you kidding me?

2. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Member

I think it has to do with the fact that they are concentrating on realistic handling and crash physics are not what they are worried about. In comparison to Forza it's 10x more realistic in terms of handling so.. I find the handling a bit more important.

3. Rocketman

Rocketman Member

I kind of wish they would have good damage modeling as well. Sometimes you just want to have some fun and wreck shit. Of course, that's what games like Burnout are for but still, it feels pretty unsatisfying. Hopefully they'll improve upon it in the next version of the game.

4. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Member

Possibly, but I doubt it but in a gran turismo game damage isn't too important to me. I prefer being able to drive a car like I would be able to in real life.

5. Rocketman

Rocketman Member

For sure. I guess that's what comes first. Just a little immersion breaking for me personally, and when I'm in the right mood, it kind of kills the buzz real quick when it looks like bumper cars.

6. 4justice

4justice Member

That's the main point of the GT games. Most people don't realize that damage was never a big deal for Polyphony. And truth be told, I'm fine with that. If I wanted to play destruction derby, there is a game literally called "Destruction Derby"

7. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Member

Yeah, haha. It was pretty great if I remember right too. PS1 game right?

8. Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider Member

Yes, of course, driving mechanics always come first. And the developers have obviously made a lot of effort into making the game great - nice looking cars, tight gameplay, beautiful courses - they made it to the point that you would think it is real. But when you bump something at top speed, that sense of realism comes to an immediate halt. :D

9. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Member

I guess so but the idea that you hit something at all is kind of a realism breaker don't you think? It's not about sense of realism it's about the simulation. It's why I played a certain amount through forza 4 and just couldn't stand it anymore it was unrealistic and really quite crap at that point..

10. 4justice

4justice Member

If you want to look at it that way, no home system simulation does good damage anyway. There are a couple of computer games that do damage to a much higher degree than Gran Turismo, Forza, or NFS Shift.

So if you want to go crazy on simulations with damage, look at some of the personal computer simulators.

11. cookiemonster16

cookiemonster16 Member

I am such a big fan of these games, but I do agree the graphics are poorly done I think the more realistic the game the better. I do think that the damage from crashes could be a lot better considering how many games they've done you'd think they would get it right eventually.

12. sidd230

sidd230 Member

Well, they can't really have burnout level damage. Can they? I feel its good enough for GT's style. Full blown damage won't work. At all.

13. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Member

It's not amount graphics for GT. It's about the simulation of physics and gravity and such on the car. You can't be super accurate if you also have to worry about having accurate damage. If they went and did damage they would no doubt go nuts about it and it would make the next GT an even LONGER wait then last time.

14. Susime

Susime Active Member

It would be nice to see an odd bumper fall off when you have a smash but oh well, you can't have everything. The damage is just about bearable for the moment and I think there might have been some licensing issues from some of the manufactures, I.E; "don't show our cars with a great deal of damage on them". So that might account for the lack of visible damage. I don't think we will ever see damage similar to that of the Burnout series because GT just isn't that sort of game.

15. CeliVega

CeliVega Member

I guess that's part of the charm of Grand Turismo. Games lost some fun factors if they focus too much on realism. I actually enjoy having a few races by crashing into things just for the lulz without worrying about how much damage my car will have. You can't do that in real life, so I guess that was part of the appeal as well. Although it would be nice if there's a in game mode where you will suffer realistic damage for your car, and you have to earn enough money or points to fix the specific parts that got damaged.

16. Shylax

Shylax New Member

I am grateful to not be able to lose a race because some idiot smashes into me. However, there is a game that has an incredible damage model, and that's Next Car Game. The handling on it looks a bit wonky so far, but the perfect game would have that game's damage and Gran Turismo's everything else.

17. panderson248

panderson248 Member

I would have to completely agree with you I really wish the game developers would fix that, the car damage really does wear down the game play in a negative affect. I have lost many races because some driver bumps me causing me to lose the race.

18. nickjt

nickjt Member

I've never understood why they wouldn't put a realistic damage system in place. I know it would take a lot of work, but the Gran Turismo team is known for putting lots of attention into the game and not releasing until it is perfect. There were damage models on the PS2 that are better than GT6, just look at TOCA 2.

19. Jun Yun

Jun Yun Member

This was also my problem with GT5, I was driving too fast and can't stop fast enough to make a sharp turn and ended up hitting the siderails of the track but ended up with only a slight dent.

The physics are pretty off too when it comes to those kinds of situations. It is like a toy ragdoll.

20. ciorex

ciorex Member

People need a newsflash. There are underwhelming aspects of the game (I mean I have my own gripes that could've ended GT5 for me), but like it or not, PD isn't going to take that popular direction apparently.

They like being the smaller company they are, taking their time, making a borderline single-tracked focus on just driving. It's just how they are. You're free to take it or leave it, but complaining will never change them. When people (some being maybe too much of fanboys) say "Go play Forza", that is the clear cut answer, because GT isn't the game you want it to be.

As far as damage goes, in GT5 they were better off without it imo because seriously wtf was that? There are pretty obvious arguments for a (better) inclusion but end of the day, apparently a whole lot of people keep playing and don't care, and PD perhaps isn't going to do that.

There's a good share of gaps in the GT series I want filled myself. Just that when I weigh things out, bottom line is apparently I'm playing the game and somehow enjoying it. Half of me will admit I do enjoy the mildness of the game.