Gran Turismo 6 Upgrading the old one vs Buying a new one

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo 7' started by Ghost Rider, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider Member

In Gran Turismo, you would always be short on funds if you are starting out. You would be given a measly amount of money so that you could buy a very weak car. Then you could join different tourneys and cups and make more dough. Still, you would be faced with a choice, either upgrade your old vehicle or sell it and purchase a new one. Which do you prefer?

2. ray king

ray king Member

I try to use the upgraded cars as much as I can, and only sell it after I have enough to get my hands on cars like the BMW, Ferrari or Mclaren. Sure wouldn't hurt if there was more money in the beginning, cos initially players would just want to buy some cars and experiment with the upgrades.

3. burtpovski

burtpovski Member

Depends. If your computer is 10 years old or something, then upgrading is probably a better idea. But if it's not that old, then definitely consider upgrading, since it does cost a lot less.

4. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Member

I usually upgrade my cars all the way to peak and then when I can't push the car anymore I get another car.

5. troutski

troutski Active Member

I'd actually have to agree with this approach myself.

6. spectre456

spectre456 Member

I try to keep the same vehicle and upgrade it as much as I can. I'm very stubborn when it comes to the cars I use, and once I find one I like it's hard for me to change. I only ever upgrade if there's no way to win the race without a better car.

7. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

For me it just depends on my mood at the time or if I find it absolutely necessary to save funds. I just try whatever I feel like would give me the most enjoyment since I am playing to have fun after all and I consider it more important than winning or maybe even just winning faster

8. Susime

Susime Active Member

On GT 1 I got a Mazda Lantis very early on that I used for every race I could use it in and eventually upgraded it with racing modifications then used it in the endurance events while achieving a win in them. I loved that car and found it difficult to switch to something different. The modern GT's however I've yet to find a car that I liked as much as I did the Lantis so I usually get newer or different cars but keep old ones in the garage.

9. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

I always upgrade my cars to the maximum and then when I can't up things anymore I buy a new one. That's what I do everytime.

10. GlacialDoom

GlacialDoom Member

I usually prefer upgrading the one I have, because it means more bang for my virtual buck, if that makes any sense. However, I really like getting a new car from time to time, because I love how different it feels from what I am used to.

11. sillylucy

sillylucy Member

I hate being short on funds. Then it just makes the game boring to play. I want my upgrades, but then I don't want you use any cheats. Then it feels like I really didn't accomplish it. You know?

12. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

Definitely, I feel like by cheating you can't enjoy the game anymore. It's nicer to know that you worked really hard for your car instead of directly having the best vehicle out there.

13. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

There's a good balance in making players work just enough to reach the next tier, and if it's off then the game gets too boring due to playing stages over and over merely to rack up some points. Thankfully this is mostly only present in mobile games I think.

14. Susime

Susime Active Member

Also don't forget the "pay-to-win" genre of games.

If you're low on funds in GT though just do some endurance races. That always tides me by until I can get something I need.

15. RaceFan

RaceFan New Member

6 just released a Porsche car driving pack. its pretty sweet. perfect timing considering jerry seinfelds porsche's just sold for 22 million at the Amelia Island auction in Florida last week.

16. sandEboy

sandEboy New Member

Buy a new one. Old PCs can fail you anytime, upgrading that would be a downright waste of your money. If it's a fairly new PC then if the cost to update is cheaper then it's definitely an option.

17. rz3300

rz3300 Member

Well this is certainly one of the classic debates that we all go through at least once a year or so with the consoles and now the games too, and I have to say that it would be based on a game by game basis, or a feature by feature basis. I have had good and bad experiences going both ways, so I would have to look further into it and get some reviews and opinions from others first. Better safe than sorry.

18. Squigly

Squigly Active Member

Definitely buy a new one. If you're a good enough driver the slight dip in performance associated with a lack of upgrades can be overcome. Aim to get an endgame car as soon as possible, then dump all your funds into upgrading that.

19. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

I'm a sentimental gamer, the first items I get in the game I always stick with until the end, just upgrading them so they can catch up with the rest of the competition as the game goes further. As much as it is easier and more convenient to simply buy a new replacement that has better stats, I prefer doing it the hard way, and replacing the original's parts with better ones, to the point that the upgrades are even better than the ones you can buy on the market. It's all about loyalty, and that's how I play the game.

20. Denis Hard

Denis Hard Member

It would be better to initially upgrade as you work you way up and buy a new car when you have to buy a new car if you have to stay competitive. In most games that allow you to do this, I often simply buy new cars as I progress.