Need for Speed Rivals Too many NFS titles?

Discussion in 'Need for Speed Unbound' started by wowtgp, Oct 14, 2013.

1. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Member

Back in the Underground/Most Wanted Era I would have said no. These days? Hell yes. They also seem to be getting worse and worse with every installment. I recently picked up the original NFS: Underground for PC and was shocked at how much more.. creative the game was overall with the colour scheme and the city and whatnot. Whereas the new Most Wanted looked bland and boring with a absolutely horrific colour scheme.

2. Rocketman

Rocketman Member

My biggest gripe with the Need For Speed series is that the titles are too similar. The reboots don't really help either. It's hard to tell from the titles what the games are all about, and when a new NFS game comes out, it sometimes confuses me because I'm not sure if it's a previous title or something completely new.

3. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Member

Doesn't help when the remakes/Reboots don't even add variation to their names so WE the players have to add the year of release to end to distinguise them from each. IMO, Most Wanted 2012 sucked.

4. sidd230

sidd230 Member

In my opinion, the series has lost its former glory. It has gone down the Call Of Duty path, making a new game every other year which rarely brings new things to the table. Its a shame.

5. Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider Member

Yeah, there are so many Need for Speed titles that I cannot keep up. I don't even bother to play the games any more. I look at NFS as below the level of Gran Turismo and Forza. I never got into the NFS games with the exception of those released on the PS1.

6. 4justice

4justice Member

@sidd230 - Yes, it has gone down the COD path. The problem is Need for Speed doesn't have the COD number of sales to validate the mundane product they put out every year.

As bad as COD is, people still buy it. The problem is that Electronic Arts is looking for ANYTHING that they can make into a sure fire money printer like COD. Battlefield, Need For Speed, etc. It's basically them trying to make a grab a blockbuster sales in any way they can.

7. Reaper_13

Reaper_13 Member

You guys should really expect this from EA, well not just EA, anyone. Once they have a big, fat cash cow, you can bet they're going to milk it all day every day.

8. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Member

EA doesn't make games. They make money megabytes that are sorta entertaining but not that great.

9. Reaper_13

Reaper_13 Member

Hit the nail right on the head, just look at the sports games.

10. 4justice

4justice Member

Oh believe me, we expect it. That goes without saying. But as customers we also expect what we put our money in to be of high quality. If they want to milk it, fine. But that's no free ticket for them to be lackluster. If they want to milk it year in year out, then they need to bring their A game year in year out.

I know you're not defending them, I'm just saying how it should be if they want to milk games

11. Reaper_13

Reaper_13 Member

It should be like that, but EA knows they can get away whit shitty-esque games. As long as they are turning a profit they won't try to improve the titles that much.

12. 4justice

4justice Member

EA, Acitvision, and a handful of others share that problem. The problem is gamers as a whole have come to accept companies selling them the same thing with minimal improvements, if any at all.

I wish people would fight their game cravings for once and not put up with it.

13. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Member

Yeah well. The sales on Rivals and the last call of duty are waking activision and EA up. There's only so much more bullcrap the players are willing to take and they are now starting to see that.

14. CeliVega

CeliVega Member

But there's always a newer generations of gamers as well. As long as the new generations still find these games appealing, annual titles will still be with us for a long time. Well we could always withdraw ourselves from the series for a while, you know what they said, "Absence makes the heart yonder"...... But I do hope that they come up with more varieties to NFS if they still want to keep their old fans.

15. mikelouis

mikelouis Member

No matter what people will complain about NFS, I am a loyal member. I still consider them as my best racing games that I have ever played.

16. froggy666

froggy666 Member

I do like it when they innovate the game, such as when they added the pursuit mechanic in Most Wanted or the drive up the the car to unlock it in Most Wanted 2. It made searching for cars fun. Or just driving to the car that you want to use and use it. I don't like it when they just do track style games. They get old quickly.

17. nickjt

nickjt Member

I think they many to do a good job keeping the game fresh despite releasing one every year. I like the way they have moved into different genres with releases like Shift being more realistic, compared to the other arcadey games.

18. matrixor

matrixor Member

Yes, I agree with you. What you said was really true. Your opinions are great.

19. Cera

Cera New Member

We still collect the games but not on opening day, we have not done this for years (long before we were married with kids). If you are not dropping sixty on this game, what are you dropping the sixty on? Games are not cheap.

20. Jun Yun

Jun Yun Member

It's not that there are too many titles, but I think the problem stems from there being too many developers giving the illusion that there are a butt ton of NFS games.

But hey, they're actually skipping 2014 and the reigns of the NFS franchise are solely in the hands of one developer now, which is Ghost Games.