Thoughts On MXGP2?

Discussion in 'MXGP' started by Toast, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Toast

Toast New Member

Anyone have some general thoughts on MXGP2? I always preferred motorbike games when it game to dirt racing, and the graphics seem nice.

In general, it seems like people like the game, but there has been some complaints around about the online play, and it seeming rushed. But the game seems fun, and the demo available definitely does it some favors.

2. jonthai

jonthai New Member

In the first hour of playing MXGP2, I struggled to stay on top of my motorcycle, often finding it travelling further than my virtual rider because I lost control. It took me a while to grasp the concept that the rider and the motorcycle are two different entities in this game, which is where MXGP2 excels: the control scheme and the design mimic the mano-a-mano skirmish between the rider and his motorcycle, and the physics of the motorcycle’s movement in relation to the course makes this one of the most realistic racing games. Despite its graphical shortcomings, the new modes, inclusion of Grand Prix of nations, and the (slightly) revised control schemes makes MXGP2 an improvement on its predecessor.
    MXGP2 is touted by its developer as one of the most authentic motocross games on the market, and Milestone has definitely lived up to that claim. It’s not graphically perfect, but the physics and game mechanics makes MXGP2 a great game with a solid learning curve.

hades_leae likes this.
  3. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

I'm not the most experienced when it comes to motorcycle racing but I played MXGP2 for a couple of hours and I was pleasantly surprised. It definitely takes a while to get used to the balancing and controls.

4. Toast

Toast New Member

I definitely do think that the realistic experience is one of the best things it has to offer. Not many games these days go for the REALLY realistic experience. I do think the physics are in a really good place for this game. I think games with a high learning curve, as in taking a long time to learn and be good at, are for the best. Pick up and play racing games have their merits, but there's something about having to learn to be good that's a really appealing feature to me. I've always liked motorbike dirt racing, and I feel like this game does deliver on a realistic and fun experience

5. Denis Hard

Denis Hard Member

I'm yet to get the game though I saw the Demo on Steam a while back, couldn't find it when I tried searching for it today but from what I've heard and the reviews I've read most people seem to think it is the best motor cross game. But I'll wait a little while until there's a sale or something before I buy the game.

6. Toast

Toast New Member

The game is right on stream. It is called specifically "MXGP2 - The Official Motocross Videogame". I do suggest trying the demo before you commit to anything. The recent reviews are also mixed, so I'm not really sure. Some people seem to be disappointed that it's not much of an upgrade from the first game. I'm not sure to what extent that is true, but I would highly suggest trying it out for yourself before forming any lasting opinions.

Denis Hard likes this.
  7. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

I thought it was great, but the sounds of the motor really gets irritating after a while. There is no background music, or even an arena / race track music to make it realistic, and that really kills the game for me. If I have to play 20 hours of the same racing game with the same motor sound all the way, I'd be sick of it during the first hour. They really need to add some tunes into the game, or even just an ambience or background music would be great, because at this rate, it's just a motor engine simulator.

8. Toast

Toast New Member

I think those are very valid complaints. Even if you're going for realism, the same motor and no music to supplement it can be a very boring experience. I guess I can suggest that you try playing your own music, maybe something you think fits, or really anything you want. I do still think the complain is valid, because it should be the racing game's creator's job to add a soundtrack. Soundtracks will, and always will be a pretty big part of racing games in my opinion.

9. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

Yes, soundtrack can make or break a racing game, in my opinion. There are lots of factors that make a racing game fun, but I think the beat or rhythm you have while you are trying to stay at first place, or trying to catch up, would always be a big factor when it comes to motivating the player. If it's just the annoying motor sound all game, then instead of being happy or victorious at the finish line, all I would feel is relief because the stupid motor sounds have stopped and I can think straight again.

10. AxelR

AxelR New Member

I'm not a huge fan of bike racing, but I had a chance to play that game on my friend's PS4. It was good experience, I liked it. Haven't played similar games, but it seems that they put heart into it. Would love to play it again. It's a shame that it requires DX10 so I can't play it under Wine on Linux.

11. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Member

I wasn't a big fan of the first one. I still have it for the PS3 and I might have tried it 2 or 3 times and I put it away as it did not make the high priority list.

MXGP2 plays better obviously because they did fix some of the issue that plagued the first. The first looked a bit grainy, but has been cleaned up in the second. I'm still not a fan of this series. Maybe it's because I use to ride bikes a lot and I still think the feel is a bit off.

12. AxelR

AxelR New Member

It's really hard to recreate real life feeling in a game that you play with controller or keyboard, but I think they did a great job overall. I think it might be the best you can find in this kind of games. Maybe we have to wait some more for that one perfect game.

13. Jaydon A.

Jaydon A. New Member

I do enjoy racing games but I tend to gravitate towards the simulation racing genre. Is MXGP2 a simulator level game or is it just arcade style? How does it compare to other racing games such as Need for Speed or Gran Turismo? Thank you...

14. qag

qag Member

I've played the game for a bit, and I've found it pretty enjoyable. The graphics are great, and the gameplay is fun. The controls have a bit of a learning curve to them, which admittedly might turn people off at first, but it's immensely satisfying to master the controls.

15. SirJoe

SirJoe Member

I was lucky enough to have played MXGP before I played MXGP2 so I already had a feel for the game. Honestly I do find it very similar. It is fun once you get the hang of it.

16. Jaydon A.

Jaydon A. New Member

I'll have to check it out. Is it available on Steam? If so it would be a great opportunity because there is a big summer sale going on...

17. hades_leae

hades_leae New Member

That's true, especially coming from a place where you always play car racing games. I remember getting the controller and trying to control my player like I did in a car.

It is definitely different, but doesn't take that long to get used to. I like the game a lot.

18. Sosi

Sosi Member

I think that gameplay became more more better

19. NormaD

NormaD Member

At first I had a hard time staying on my bike, but eventually, after I got used to the balancing and controls of MXGP2 I found that motorcycle racing isn't really as hard as I thought it was. This is a very realistic game and it took some getting used to but now I love it.

20. SirJoe

SirJoe Member

That's what I have been seeing around the forum, it's only difficult at first but once you get used to it the real fun can start.